ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   I always do this to my center console and it bugs me (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/246781-i-always-do-this-to-my-center-console-and-it-bugs-me.html)

Julez 11-02-06 05:08 PM

I always do this to my center console and it bugs me

I like to put my drink, usually a water bottle in the carpeted cup holder because it allows me to rest my right hand on the shift knob. In doing this the slider on the center armrest is all the way back and the slightest pressure on the back causes it to pop because I didn't lift the handle. I guess it will just take some getting used to but I hope I don't put too much strain on it that it causes the slider to malfunction.:sad:

Anybody else do this and have you combated a way of remembering not to do this. Even my passengers do it too because they like to rest their arm on something.

Larry96815 11-02-06 05:21 PM

I don't allow drinks in my cars, even my own. Yes I am a little crazy.

Aloha,
Larry

mlee21 11-02-06 05:23 PM

i do something similar to ruin my center console.. since i like to rest my elbow on the leather top of the console.. and after drivining for awhile.. it tends to imprint my elbow and into the leather and now i can feel like a small dip in the center console :(

Poman 11-02-06 05:26 PM

Use the water bottle slot on the doors! :)

Julez 11-02-06 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Larrym9681 (Post 2218945)

Aloha,
Larry

Not too crazy, I can understand. I too tried to implement this rule but have compromised to covered drinks only

Originally Posted by vApor21 (Post 2218951)
i do something similar to ruin my center console.. since i like to rest my elbow on the leather top of the console.. and after drivining for awhile.. it tends to imprint my elbow and into the leather and now i can feel like a small dip in the center console :(

Yeah I have the same thing. There is a nice little crease in the middle of the leather now.

Originally Posted by Poman (Post 2218959)
Use the water bottle slot on the doors! :)

I try but I find it too much of a hassle to use when driving. I drink a lot of water! Especially when driving. If I have two water bottles then I most definitely use the side holder.

murph550 11-02-06 05:33 PM

haha i do the same thing

Bichon 11-02-06 06:25 PM

Aloha,
Larry

Not crazy at all. I also don't allow women to put on makeup in my car.

ISbb 11-02-06 07:01 PM

Aloha,
Larry

I try that rule many years ago... but then I merried... and now I have a son... the rule was broken...:cry:

kensteele 11-02-06 07:31 PM

not food in the cabin period, neither me nor anyone else. food must go in the trunk.

the only drink allowed in the cabin is myself, covered, in the holders.

2IS 'R' US 11-02-06 09:35 PM

I just took out the cup holder gizmo in the center console so no drinks will go in there EVER... I use the bottle holders on the doors more quite often. Everytime I take my car and go out to eat, food always goes in the trunk if there are leftovers.

SerKevin 11-03-06 05:54 AM

No food in ANY of my cars, period, end of discussion. Now I would allow coffee, in a sealed container ONLY, in my Camry. With the Lexus, only water and only in a sealed container.

OK, I admit I'm anal when it comes to my cars :)

Oh and, yeah, I've flipped the lid on the console a couple of times too... it doesn't look like it did any damage. I think Lexus designed the latches to release with a specific amount of pressure instead of failing.

hapaboy 12-02-06 08:01 PM

yea, no food or drink for 30K miles in the new lex here. hopefully no girls with smirnoff ice will be in here during ownership.

lobuxracer 12-02-06 08:14 PM

Wow. It's a car. I bought it. I use it. I picnic in it. I take the seats out every 20k and shampoo/vacuum under them. Been doing this for years. But, I also watched the CB1100F I'd just spent 6 weeks restoring bouncing through the air like a toothpick after I fell off it. I got over the whole love for machine thing right then and there.

Oh, after I got the Supra back from the ex, I took the carpet out and cleaned it with laundry soap and a garden hose. Scrubbed it to death. Rinsed it for a half hour, then hung it up to dry for 2 days. The water was black because she'd spilled coffee and other things in it while she had it (before the judge gave it back to me.) It's good to know it will tolerate this kind of stuff.

maz 12-02-06 08:20 PM

I always keep a bottle of arrowhead in the door bottle holder. I use the center carpeted cup holder to store loose change. And I never allow any food in the car (unless it is securely sealed). But generally I like to keep my car 100% clean and I don't like to have anything lying around in there. I use to have another extra water bottle in the passenger door bottle holder but it was making too much noise (by moving around) as I drove so I put it in the trunk.

mattssi 12-02-06 08:49 PM

You think thats bad, try the ES350. Not 100% thought through on Lexus part on either of the rides.

If you actually use the armrest to rest your arm while changing station, etc, your elbow hits the release for the auto-opening center storage area. Its so annoying, and just a crappy design.

I'm not impressed w/the lack of convenience features on the IS. GIve me some damn cup holders that I can use please.