IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A few noobish questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-06, 10:43 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few noobish questions...

So I got this car about a month ago, and it is the first car I've had that I gave a crap about (beyond just keeping it alive enough to get me from point A to point B). I only recently became more and more interested and involved with cars (through pretty much my last several months in college), so because of that, I have a lot of ideas, but not much know-how.

First of all, I think I'm about to get some new rims from Lexus-parts.com (chromed ISP-mode), and I was wondering once they're delivered, will I need to have them installed at a Lexus dealership in order to keep the tire pressure sensors working properly? Or could I do it anywhere and keep that functionality? If so, I'm guessing the latter would probably be better (cheaper). Anything special I need to know here?

Secondly, (and this is the much more noobish part of my post) I want to drop my IS by maybe a couple inches. Basically however much I can "get away with" while keeping at least a decent ride and having few worries about bottoming out or damaging the fenders. I'm guessing two inches is about where that limit lies. Thing is, I just have no idea how to go about that... I know I'll need a new suspension, but I don't know what suspension would be good for what I'm looking for, nor do I have any idea where to look for/buy it, nor do I know how/where to get it installed (I guess pretty much any workshop will be able to do it for me?).

Thanks for reading through all that rambling, and thanks for whatever help you can give me.
Old 10-31-06, 11:42 PM
cdeeznuts
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1. no, any shop will be able to hook up wheels no problem.
2. coilovers.
Old 11-01-06, 12:21 AM
PharmISee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get the ISP rims, any place will be able to install your TPMS for you. I went to America's Tire company and got my new wheels mounted and installed with TPMS. Just make sure you tell them. As for a good way to drop your car, you can get some springs. Many people on the forums have eibach springs which drops your car 1 to 1.5 inches. Coilovers are really expensive and looking from the way you expressed about dropping, I think aftermarket springs are the way to go. I bought the my springs at tirerack.com, or you can buy them on ebay. Once you get your springs, some places may be able to install springs for you. You just have to call around or ask around for advice.
Old 11-01-06, 12:42 AM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

1. Any shop should be able to swap your rims and tps sensors. Wait, I mean any knowledgable shop, I had a friend that ran into some problems at a chain store tire shop, which I won't name, when it came to his TPS. But most should know how to.

2. Get some springs, if you're just for the look and still want the original feel and don't want to worry too much about driving a lowered vehicle, springs are the best bet. Tanabe NF201 is probably the easiest. Nice drop, same feel. Plus if you're into JDM, NF = normal feeling. "Normal feeling" how JDM sounding is that? lol
Old 11-01-06, 08:41 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the help.

What does JDM stand for? And I would like to improve handling a bit if it can be done within reason. In other words if coilovers are a lot more expensive, and don't provide too many extra benefits, then I'd probably prefer springs. But how much of a difference is there exactly?

Also, I've heard that springs alone, while lowering ride height, can actually hurt the car's handling along with accel/braking. And for that reason, a lot of people consider them a ricey sort of mod. Is this true?
Old 11-01-06, 09:05 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Thanks for the help.

What does JDM stand for? And I would like to improve handling a bit if it can be done within reason. In other words if coilovers are a lot more expensive, and don't provide too many extra benefits, then I'd probably prefer springs. But how much of a difference is there exactly?

Also, I've heard that springs alone, while lowering ride height, can actually hurt the car's handling along with accel/braking. And for that reason, a lot of people consider them a ricey sort of mod. Is this true?

JDM = Japanese Domestic Market (Made for cars in Japan)

I think if you got some crappy springs (dont think they even make bad ones for the IS) they could hurt driveability but generally speaking they'll improve handling. If you want true performance and flexibility of ride height and dampening (how stiff or soft the suspension feels) then go with coilovers. Of course, you'll end up paying at least $500-$1000 more for the coilovers depending on which brands you're looking at. The benifits of coilovers vs. springs are 1000 to 1 in the coilover's favor.
Old 11-01-06, 09:15 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

$500 to $1000 more? So I guess we're getting into the 1500-2000 range? Because from what I understand, springs are about 500-1000...?

And I guess the main advantages in coilovers is the added flexibility/tunability they give you?
Old 11-01-06, 10:10 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

$500 to $1000 more? So I guess we're getting into the 1500-2000 range? Because from what I understand, springs are about 500-1000...?

And I guess the main advantages in coilovers is the added flexibility/tunability they give you?

Yea expect to pay $1300 - $2k for coilovers. Keep in mind that MANY people who get springs end up buying coilovers. You lose a ton of money on installation and depreiciation of the springs if you decide to upgrade in the future. Also coilovers are generally rebuildable so you'll keep them for the life of the car. Springs will need to be replaced about every 50k miles give or take a few. Keep in mind that once you buy springs you're stuck with whatever ride stiffness and height they are no matter how bad or good it is, there's no way to change what they do. If you dont like the way your coilovers feel or they are too low or not low enough you have a lot of adjustability. Plus your IS should be able to keep up with a Porshe though twisties with coilovers.
Old 11-01-06, 11:00 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can get springs for under 300.00 usually, i got eibachs they are nice and have a good ride. I have never heard of replaceing lowering springs every 5ok, are you refering to coilovers or just lowering springs, you sort of lost me there.
Old 11-01-06, 11:02 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

No...springs run around 200-400 dollars. And depending the spring, you can actually see some handling improvements.
Old 11-01-06, 12:59 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm... well I did a little search, and from what I found, it seems like coilovers would be a better option... I was expecting to have to pay just under $1K for whatever suspension upgrades I got, so the ~$1400 that it looks like Tein CS coilovers cost isn't so much of a stretch.

Anyone have any idea what kind of practical limits their are for a drop in a daily driver IS 350? Is 2" too much/about right with coilovers? And when I get them installed at some shop, what all will they need to know about what I want? Because from what I know, everything from the spring rate, dampening, and ride height is adjustable. Do they just use some default settings based on the ride height I want or something?

Sorry for all the questions, I have a lot to learn. 'Preciate the help everyone is giving, though.
Old 11-01-06, 01:25 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone have any idea what kind of practical limits their are for a drop in a daily driver IS 350? Is 2" too much/about right with coilovers? And when I get them installed at some shop, what all will they need to know about what I want? Because from what I know, everything from the spring rate, dampening, and ride height is adjustable. Do they just use some default settings based on the ride height I want or something?

Sorry for all the questions, I have a lot to learn. 'Preciate the help everyone is giving, though.
Currently, I have Tein CS on my 350 and the drop is about 1 finger gap all around. When you get them installed, your installer should adjust the height to what you prefer. Dampening is independent from the height. You select the stiffness/softness accordingly to your preference. Hope this helps
Old 11-01-06, 01:52 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

So is the stiffness/dampening just described subjectively? Like would I just tell them something like I want it 2" lower with the ride stiffness close to stock? Or is it more specific than that?

I have a feeling these questions are getting a little lamer, but... yeah, heh.
Old 11-01-06, 02:16 PM
cdeeznuts
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

let me keep it simple... if you lower your car there is less clearance for rebound/bounce when say you go over bumps... if you keep the stiffness close to stock the car would bounce and bottom out/hit the floor... therefore you would want it stiffer as you go lower so that doesn't happen.
Old 11-01-06, 02:34 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

You make a very good point. But I was reading about people saying they managed to lower the car by that much while keeping the ride close to or even better than stock. I think they had the stock sport suspension, though... Either that or they were just full of it. Or both.

Quick Reply: A few noobish questions...