This might sounds stupid

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-06, 02:33 PM
Jatt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This might sounds stupid

Hi guys,

Alrite, so I've had my is350 for about 5 days now, 1000km on it, theres just this ONE THING that has kinda irked me in terms of handling.

I kinda spin it out? lol, and I mean, I'm doing maybe 80km/h on a bend designed for 50km/h and the car feels like its slipping/skipping off the road? I actually got ***** scared cuz I thought I was gonna hit a car in another lane, the road conditions were perfectly fine and dry? Am I just an idiot? Or could there be something wrong with the tires?

I can understand if I'm giving the car some gas on a turn it would start to spin out or something, but I mean if I'm just making the turn, it felt like it was completely fine on the test drive, and now it feels like I'm gonna slip off the road and just make grandma turns....
Old 10-18-06, 02:41 PM
9520G
Lead Lap

Well that what happens when you do 30 km/h over the speed limit!
Old 10-18-06, 02:47 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jatt
I'm doing maybe 80km/h on a bend designed for 50km/h

Originally Posted by Jatt
Am I just an idiot?
Yes.............
Old 10-18-06, 02:54 PM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by newr
Yes.............
No, he just loves to SPEED. That's it.
Old 10-18-06, 03:17 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jman-is350
No, he just loves to SPEED. That's it.
If that is the case then I seriously suggest that he takes some HPDE's to learn his limits and then car limits so that the next time he speeds, he does it confidently and safely.
Old 10-18-06, 03:23 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

yeah...you should try to get a feel for the 350's can's and cannots before you pull some stunt like that.
Old 10-18-06, 03:27 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Check your tire pressure too.
Old 10-18-06, 04:14 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Something has to be wrong, 30 km/h difference is nothing.

There is this freeway onramp near my house and the speed limit is 60m/hr for that corner. I've hit that corner btw 90-100 mi/hr 20+ plus times with ease. This was in my Acura Integra gs-r too!!

Last edited by gsrthomas; 10-18-06 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-18-06, 04:29 PM
Kepeli
Pole Position

"This might sounds stupid" <~~ yeah it does
Old 10-18-06, 04:39 PM
Jatt
Driver

Wow, am I first person to go over the speed limit? and that too 30 km/h over? lol I'm glad I dont e-brag about actual speeds I've hit.

There must be something a bit off, how can a vehicle like this start skipping/skidding on bends like that?

p.s. the sounds was the punchline, ralph wiggum styles.

Last edited by Jatt; 10-18-06 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-18-06, 06:17 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sounds like 'lack of confidence' .....

Taking a curve at 30 over the limit should not present a problem. But you have to have confidence in the tire grip and chassis. As a motorcycle rider one of the things novices face is going too hot into a corner and then they let up on the throttle, stand the bike up and run off the road. The old principle to get through a situation like this is "Look, lean, and believe", which is look where you want to go, keep leaning, and believe the machine will make it. And they almost always do because the equipment is far better than the rider believes it is. Obviously you don't have to lean in a car, but the principle is the same. Keep the gas on and look where you want to go (sight the end of the curve), and the car will get you around the corner.

If you start changing throttle or steering inputs, or worst of all, start braking, it'll upset the chassis. Keep a steady input through a curve.

Last edited by Evitzee; 10-18-06 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-18-06, 06:33 PM
Jatt
Driver

Hi Evitzee,

Thank you for your VERY insightful post, bro what I'm wondering is that I should maybe take it out to a wide open backroad and try it out there, if theres still an issue should I consider talking to my dealership about it? Could it just be the tires?

My freinds g35 coupe could even take corners at higher speeds, but he has an 04, and mines still only 5-6 days old.

I mean man, I'll be holding it down into the turn and it just starts skipping like a stone on water, if I take my foot off the turn is SOMEWHAT smoother, its still a bit dodgy but I can make them, however it seems like the only smooth turns I'm getting out of my IS are the ones I make when I brake and turn lol

Last edited by Jatt; 10-18-06 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-18-06, 06:51 PM
acsan
Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Taking a curve at 30 over the limit should not present a problem. But you have to have confidence in the tire grip and chassis. As a motorcycle rider one of the things novices face is going too hot into a corner and then they let up on the throttle, stand the bike up and run off the road. The old principle to get through a situation like is "Look, lean, and believe", which is look where you want to go, keep leaning, and believe the machine will make it. And they almost always do because the equipment is far better than the rider believes it is. Obviously you don't have to lean in a car, but the principle is the same. Keep the gas on and look where you want to go (sight the end of the curve), and the car will get you around the corner.

If you start changing throttle or steering inputs, or worst of all, start braking, it'll upset the chassis. Keep a steady input through a curve.
Actually, even in cars it also helps to somewhat lean into turns as well. Very good point!
Old 10-18-06, 06:55 PM
Jatt
Driver

LOL, yeah maybe if your 300 lbs, I think it might pyschologically help, but physically?
Old 10-18-06, 06:58 PM
Thierry
Driver School Candidate

Nah man, you don`t sound stupid at all. But apparently some people here have never speeded in their lives.. Oh well.

Anyway, yeah you just need to get used to the handling of the car. Do you have Sports or Luxury package? That could play a role in how you portray the handling going into turns at high speeds.

Quick Reply: This might sounds stupid