IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Locking lug nuts? Thoughts/Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 07:24 AM
tgara
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking lug nuts? Thoughts/Opinions?

We have a set of locking lug nuts on our IS which were provided by the dealer. These are the usual locking nuts (one locking nut replacing one regular lug nut per wheel) made by McGard with a "key" that fits over the nut and on a lug wrench.

I'm not too concerned with wheel theft since our car is usually in low-crime areas. I'm considering simply replacing the locking lug nuts for regular lug nuts, since IMHO, the locking nuts look terrible. I'd rather have a uniform set of lug nuts for aesthetic purposes. What do you guys think about this and the motivation behind it?

Can I buy lug nuts at the dealer, or are they strictly aftermarket parts?

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-01-06, 07:37 AM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tgara
We have a set of locking lug nuts on our IS which were provided by the dealer. These are the usual locking nuts (one locking nut replacing one regular lug nut per wheel) made by McGard with a "key" that fits over the nut and on a lug wrench.

I'm not too concerned with wheel theft since our car is usually in low-crime areas. I'm considering simply replacing the locking lug nuts for regular lug nuts, since IMHO, the locking nuts look terrible. I'd rather have a uniform set of lug nuts for aesthetic purposes. What do you guys think about this and the motivation behind it?

Thanks for the input.
the lock nuts are not even noticeable imo...but whatever floats your boat...i'm pretty sure u can get them at the dealership...i like to have mine on just for peace of mind.
Old 08-01-06, 07:40 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty minor aesthetic detail. If it floats your boat, do it. Otherwise, I would spend my money on other mods or charity...
Old 08-01-06, 08:06 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Yes, they sell the lugs at the dealer.

You are a picky personal just like me.

If you want as aesthetic as it can be, you should leave the lock-lugs on the wheels.
Because
1. Lexus uses only McGard, and McGard has the best quality if not looking at its weight aspect.
2. JDM Lex uses McGard also.

If it still bothers you, buy it and replace it. I think it is around $6 for a piece, and the OE lugs work only with OE wheels.
Old 08-01-06, 08:14 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by josephdoc
Yes, they sell the lugs at the dealer.

You are a picky personal just like me.

If you want as aesthetic as it can be, you should leave the lock-lugs on the wheels.
Because
1. Lexus uses only McGard, and McGard has the best quality if not looking at its weight aspect.
2. JDM Lex uses McGard also.

If it still bothers you, buy it and replace it. I think it is around $6 for a piece, and the OE lugs work only with OE wheels.
RAD > McGard

http://www.radgmbh.com/eng_start.html
Old 08-01-06, 08:16 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Otherwise, I would spend my money on other mods or charity...
Or put the money into a savings account/investment.
Old 08-01-06, 08:35 AM
tgara
Pole Position

Yeah, I'm picky. I guess I care about the details more than you guys do.

How about these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-LI...12000202QQrdZ1

Instead of red, blue may be nice as a contrast to a white Lexus.
Old 08-01-06, 09:11 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I'm picky. I guess I care about the details more than you guys do.

How about these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-LI...12000202QQrdZ1

Instead of red, blue may be nice as a contrast to a white Lexus.
I wouldn't get anything like that off ebay. Go with established makers like volk/rays, mcgard, gorilla, etc. I wouldn't trust anything less for something as important as the lug nuts.

Here's an idea: why don't you put up a classified ad and look for someone who will trade you straight across (reg lugs for the locking lugs.)
Old 06-22-09, 06:01 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend has an IS250 in the garage and she's missing the tool, wonder if she can use mine to remove her tire?

Does anyone know if the tool for the locking lug nuts is interchangeable?
Meaning could my friend borrow my tool to get their locking lug nut off? Or is the tool bolt/car specific, made only to work with the ones on each of the rims it comes with from the factory.
Old 06-22-09, 07:13 PM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES3
My friend has an IS250 in the garage and she's missing the tool, wonder if she can use mine to remove her tire?

Meaning could my friend borrow my tool to get their locking lug nut off? Or is the tool bolt/car specific, made only to work with the ones on each of the rims it comes with from the factory.
Every car has a different one from what I've heard. I took my car to a place and they took it off for like 10-15 each last time. I probably got ripped off though.
Old 06-22-09, 07:55 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3

If the keys were interchangeable it wouldn't offer any protection and a crook would just buy one key and be in business to steal all the wheels he wanted, therefore they are not interchangeable.
Old 06-22-09, 08:57 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

McGard only has a few "unique" wheel locks. You can easily take a picture and e-mail it to McGard and they'll send you a new key in about a week. I have the McGard aftermarket lugs (the tuner ones) and one of the dealerships broke my key. I lost my serial number that came with my wheel locks but I was surprised that all I had to do was take a picture and e-mail it to McGard. I asked them how they could easily find my "unique" key from just a picture and I was told that there actually weren't that many "unique" keys out there. If it's the OEM McGard locks, you could probably go to your dealer and they'll probably have a key for you. Otherwise, just e-mail/call McGard and give them the serial # or a picture of the wheel lock. The only way you would get screwed is if you actually stripped the wheel lock pattern and NOT the key. Then no key would ever "fit" and then you would have to "break" the lock off.

Last edited by RshaoKh; 06-22-09 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-22-09, 09:18 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

i have the master keys OEM lexus... you can get them off sewell.. i work on friend's cars a lot so i have them.... and.... i am selling my Muteki lugs.... heheh... comes with bull locking lugs... so 16 piece of muteki lugs.. 4 bull locking lugs...
Old 06-23-09, 05:03 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the input.
I don't care how they look, but I've lost 2 keys for 2 different cars.

EDIT--OOPS! nice bump.
Old 06-23-09, 05:57 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3

To get them off use a 19mm 12point socket. Hammer it on to the lock and then remove it with a breaker bar. You should be able to remove two locks with one socket after the 2nd lock the teeth on the socket are pretty much striped and won’t grab the sidewalls of the lock.

Quick Reply: Locking lug nuts? Thoughts/Opinions?