IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AFS Head light

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 10:53 PM
federalman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFS Head light

My friend just got a Ford Focus ST here in Taiwan.

The car is fun to drive, lot and lot of power in the entire rev range, but the interior is a bit on the cheap side.

But his head light was awesome, it is a hallogen light with AFS system, but I can actually tell that AFS is at work, unline my IS.

here is my question how do you check if AFS is working, is there a way to find out from the look of the headlight housing to see if my car have AFS or not.

I have HID, but I don't know if I have AFS or not.

Please advise.
Old 05-22-06, 11:02 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if the IS in Taiwan has the sports pkg or not but if you do, you definitely have AFS.

I have AFS and I can tell that it works when I'm turning corners. I can see the headlights following the curb as I turn. There's also a way to turn AFS on/off too. It's on the insrument control panel somewhere, I can't remember where. LOL
Old 05-23-06, 05:17 AM
Slowk20a2
Rookie

I haven't got my IS yet, but on my BMW I can park a car in front of a wall and turn the steering wheel and the light would follow.
Old 05-23-06, 07:19 AM
federalman
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
I don't know if the IS in Taiwan has the sports pkg or not but if you do, you definitely have AFS.

I have AFS and I can tell that it works when I'm turning corners. I can see the headlights following the curb as I turn. There's also a way to turn AFS on/off too. It's on the insrument control panel somewhere, I can't remember where. LOL

I have sport pkg, and I think I have AFS but I just can't see it in action like my friends car.

I will give the part in the wall trick a try, where do I turn it on and off the AFS.

my manual is in chinese and I am just too lazy to read a chinese manual.
Old 05-23-06, 07:40 AM
monkeyfarm
Driver

Originally Posted by federalman
I have sport pkg, and I think I have AFS but I just can't see it in action like my friends car.

I will give the part in the wall trick a try, where do I turn it on and off the AFS.

my manual is in chinese and I am just too lazy to read a chinese manual.
Won't work. AFS only functions above 6mph (it's in the manual). Just use your satellite switch and make sure AFS is enabled (again, instructions are in the manual). It's pretty obvious that it's working when you're driving.
Old 05-23-06, 07:44 AM
mr.BeboT
Driver

Originally Posted by monkeyfarm
Won't work. AFS only functions above 6mph (it's in the manual). Just use your satellite switch and make sure AFS is enabled (again, instructions are in the manual). It's pretty obvious that it's working when you're driving.
You really can tell when making a turn, especially if you look down the middle of your beam pattern you will see the lights re-converge.
Old 05-23-06, 07:47 AM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

I can tell the AFS is working by looking down the middle of the lights and you will see it shifting towards the side you are turning and will shift back down the middle when you straighten the steering wheel.
Old 05-23-06, 08:26 AM
jinetix
Pole Position

I see it working all the time when I go on the entrance ramps to the freeway. The RX330 loaner I'm driving.. the AFS on that is so sensitive. It turns even when I'm not turning.. and the lights seem to twitch all the time. Beam has a nice coloring to it on the cutoff too..
Old 05-23-06, 08:31 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's very apparent for me also. Actually it's probably too apparent as I tend to watch the lights move back and forth too much. Hopefully, the novelty will wear off.
Old 05-23-06, 09:02 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

it's most obvious when the car returns to center after a turn, as the light quickly swivels back to the center position. Just remember only one light (the one inside of the turn) turns at a time. If you want to know whether your car is equipped with AFS, cycle through the menu switch to the left of the steering wheel. Is the IS popular in Taiwan?
Old 05-23-06, 09:12 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

I know I have it on my car cause the AFS OFF light keeps on flashing since I have lowered my car
Old 05-23-06, 09:38 AM
jinetix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yellowssm
I know I have it on my car cause the AFS OFF light keeps on flashing since I have lowered my car
AFS doesn't work after lowering the car?
Old 05-23-06, 09:49 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

I had an RX330 loaner when my tires were getting replaced.

The AFS seemed pretty noticable. watch the Arc in the middle of the HID pattern.

I also noticed that the beam was pretty weak, compared to the 4500k Mtecs that I have on the IS.

I also have a random brand 4300k on my 3000GT, which is also a lot brighter than the RX330s factory HIDs

Last edited by tqlla3k; 05-23-06 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-23-06, 10:03 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
I had an RX330 loaner when my tires were getting replaced.

The AFS seemed pretty noticable. watch the Arc in the middle of the HID pattern.

I also noticed that the beam was pretty weak, compared to the 4500k Mtecs that I have on the IS.

I also have a random brand 4300k on my 3000GT, which is also a lot brighter than the RX330s factory HIDs
It's probably the way light is focused/concentrated. OEM HID assemblies disperse the light more evenly over a wider field v. a more focused, straight ahead concentration found on halogen assemblies.
Old 05-23-06, 11:18 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm, I dont think so. The RX330 and the ES330 that I had as loaners had very Dim HIDs. If you ever see an Acura TL next to an RX330 or ES330, you can easily see how much brighter the TLs headlights are.

Quick Reply: AFS Head light