IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Full Size Spare

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-06, 02:01 PM
RCPiercy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Size Spare

When I test drove the IS350 in October I noticed that there wasn't a full size spare, but it looked as if there might be room for one. Has anyone gotten/ tried to fit a full size spare in the well under the trunk mat. It would be interesting to see if the 17"s or even the 18"s would fit because it might be a good way for people getting aftermarket rims to get rid of their old wheels, if anyone else cares about getting a full size spare. Anyway, I am getting ready to order a Crystal White/Black IS350 Sport with ML/Nav and PCS and I was kind of interested in a full size spare. I've always had them, felt that they would be useful if I ever bent a rim or something, it's wierd to me that Lexus didn't include one.
Old 02-26-06, 03:53 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

I'm not sure whether a full size spare would fit. As for a car in Lexus's class deserving a full size spare, realize that the class leader, the BMW E90 3 series has no spare at all; it comes with run-flat tires.

With the directional tires on the IS350, you've got a 50/50 chance that the tires on a full size spare would be mounted in the wrong direction.
Old 02-26-06, 04:01 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
I'm not sure whether a full size spare would fit. As for a car in Lexus's class deserving a full size spare, realize that the class leader, the BMW E90 3 series has no spare at all; it comes with run-flat tires.

With the directional tires on the IS350, you've got a 50/50 chance that the tires on a full size spare would be mounted in the wrong direction.
True, but I'd rather drive on a directional tire facing the wrong way than on the donut. Either that, or just mount a uni-directional tire on the full size spare. Obviously as a spare, it's a temporary fix to get you home.
Old 02-26-06, 04:14 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

IS should come with run-flats. I would put them, but unfortunately there aren't any that fit right now.
Old 02-26-06, 04:19 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

I'll pass on run flats. The degradation in ride quality isn't worth it (every review of the BMW's mentions it... they've finally started re-tuning the suspension to compensate), especially if you put them on a car that wasn't built with them in mind.
Old 02-26-06, 04:38 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by heffergm
I'll pass on run flats. The degradation in ride quality isn't worth it (every review of the BMW's mentions it... they've finally started re-tuning the suspension to compensate), especially if you put them on a car that wasn't built with them in mind.
I'll suffer then. They're MUCH more convenient that unloading the trunk to get at the spare.
Old 02-26-06, 08:21 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I'll suffer then. They're MUCH more convenient that unloading the trunk to get at the spare.

hmmmm....its not like u get a flat regularly...or even that often..lol....wouldnt it be alot more expensive to replace a run flat?
Old 02-26-06, 08:26 PM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

I think the Lexus SC comes with the run flat...is that the only LExus thast has run flats?
Old 02-26-06, 08:32 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nehal51086
hmmmm....its not like u get a flat regularly...or even that often..lol....wouldnt it be alot more expensive to replace a run flat?
The advantage of run-flats isn't so much a convenience as a safety issue. Loads of people are killed each year changing tires by the side of the road. Even one of Bill Cosby's kids (Ennis) was killed in a tire changing accident.

Despite the safety issue (I have AAA, so it won't be my butt out there), I'm just as happy we don't have them. Better ride, and a much better selection of replacement rubber.
Old 02-26-06, 08:37 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by r6z9r
I think the Lexus SC comes with the run flat...is that the only LExus thast has run flats?
GS has them as an option.
Old 02-26-06, 09:47 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you guys talking about? I haven't changed a flat in over 10 years, probably close to 15 years; in well over 200k, 300k miles. A small spare is just fine for the Lexus, the day I get a flat I call AAA to change it while I stand well off on the side of the road, pay someone to do it....c'mon.

BTW, Ennis was murdered not a roadside accident.
Old 02-26-06, 09:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
IS should come with run-flats. I would put them, but unfortunately there aren't any that fit right now.
runflats? please say no..... almost ALL sc430 owners took off their runflats in no time and put on normal tires. and most of us don't even have a spare, not even donut. runflats ride is just horrible at best
Old 02-26-06, 10:03 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kensteele
What are you guys talking about? I haven't changed a flat in over 10 years, probably close to 15 years; in well over 200k, 300k miles.
Really? Let me guess. The IS is your first car with max performance summer tires? The soft compound that makes them stick so well to the road acts like a magnet to pick up any screw or nail in its path, and hold it until it embeds itself in your tire.

BTW, Ennis was murdered not a roadside accident.
You're right, I remembered hearing on the news that he was killed after getting a flat, didn't remember that he was murdered while waiting for help. That said, lots of others are unfortunately killed in accidents while changing flat tires on high speed roads.
Old 02-27-06, 08:31 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
What are you guys talking about? I haven't changed a flat in over 10 years, probably close to 15 years; in well over 200k, 300k miles. A small spare is just fine for the Lexus, the day I get a flat I call AAA to change it while I stand well off on the side of the road, pay someone to do it....c'mon.
I had what would have been a blowout on my left rear tire in my 2004 Corvette doing about 102 mph....pressure went to zero PSI real fast (10 seconds).....the runflats saved me.
Old 02-27-06, 08:57 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately I've only had Acura vehicles all my life since they first came in 1986-87.

Quick Reply: Full Size Spare