IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mark Levinson IS350 THE AUDITION...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-08, 09:03 AM
jboy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No classical music?

I am surprised that no one is testing with classical music. Having a lot of quite passages and quick transitions is a pretty good test of the system. Also, for audio presence (front row or 10 rows back).
Old 11-03-13, 03:44 AM
raduioan
Driver School Candidate

Hi can you please help I've got a Is 220d from 2006 with Mark levinson audio but I changed the battery in my car and my audio is off now no matter what I do , I've got no sound in the car whatsoever , I diconacted the battery again and now I can't open my boot no matter what button I press . Please help , Adrian
Old 11-03-13, 03:07 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

Try taking it to a Toyota dealer. Their rates are much cheaper than a Lexus dealer. By the way this is not a thread for a 1st Gen IS, this is 2nd Gen; plus the thread is 5 years old, and it is not the place to ask this question or re-hash the thread.

With that being said, it gave me a chance to re-upload my pics on page 13. Enjoy!
Old 11-03-13, 03:38 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 324 Likes on 140 Posts

ummmm... his lexus is a 2nd gen IS... 2006 IS220d... thats a diesel version of the 2IS cuz his location says UK... i think his chance at a toyota dealership might won't do him any good cuz toyota don't hav ML sound system on their cars they hav JBL... ML is exclusive to just Lexus vehicles... so i think its better off to just take back to a Lexus dealership instead...
Old 07-26-17, 10:22 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
update...
i just installed a 25 watt 6 ohm resistor inline with the center channel speaker and now the sound staging is WAYY better and more balanced, now i can actually hear the door speakers and tweeters on the doors!
if you want to do this mod all you have to do is cut the yellow wire on the connector that holds the speakers wires on the front most plug, install the resistor and your set.
For those new to their IS-F like me, or have been putting off tuning up their ML audio, there are tons of resources for the resistor mod now, and in a few different values since it's been suggested a 4 or 5 ohm resistor may result in even better overall balance:

4 Ohm:
Amazon Amazon
5 Ohm:
Amazon Amazon
6 Ohm:
Amazon Amazon

Enjoy,
Nick
Old 12-14-19, 07:24 PM
Tatengue
Driver School Candidate

Default Mark Levinson not involved in ML system design.

Originally Posted by Rockville
as I am a dealer and still haven't gotten my hands on an IS with Mark Levinson. Percy, you should seriously consider designing sound systems for manufacturers. It is sorely needed as you know. When the LS430 ML system was designed it was Mark Levinson himself that took on the challenge. The SC430 was next. This was the first Digital Sound Processing experience for Lexus owners after Nakamichi was dropped for not allowing its circuits to be merged with the Denso Nav system. The result was a 90% drop in Total Harmonic Distortion!

The RX series Mark Levinson does not have a dramatic difference in fidelity as compared to the stock Pioneer. It adds a center channel driver and that helps somewhat....

The GS ML system that assails your sensitive ear drums was the first of the 2nd generation ML systems and the first to offer 5.1 DTS surround sound with a 7.1 speaker layout. It increased the amplification power to over 300 Watts. My eardrums are worn from the 60's abuse yet I agree that the Titanium tweeters are scratchy bright and require some antenuation. I found your comments about the staging the most interesting because the whole purpose of the 7.1 architecture ( 7 speaker locations and one subwoofer) is to increase the sweet spot from a narrow intersection to include at least one ear of any of the driver/passengers. When listening to a conventional CD I prefer the Surround Sound turned off. When I play a DVD-A like the previously mentioned Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery in its full 5.1 glory I am transported back in time to the concerts of the 60's. While shopping for Christmas gifts I picked up Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon in SACD which I will unwrap when the first IS ML system comes in. Pink Floyd was one of the first groups to perform in 4 channels live and liked to play tricks with discrete channel rotation. With all of the sound effects in the movies the Mark Levinson system is probably best displayed with a movie DVD. In Hero with Jet Li the scene when all of the arrows are launched will start behind you and then the flight passes overhead and then they all land in front of you. Lord of the Rings and even Harry Potter are full of effects. The beginning of Gladiator gets me all charged up in Dolby 5.1 too.

I like the fact that the Mark Levinson is held to the standard of your home system. If I understand you correctly there is a peak in response in the center channel at 400 Hz. Is this a crossover overlap or the natural harmonic resonance of the driver? Thanks to you I will now try to listen for the nasal quality in the vocal reproduction of the female artists. The tonal warmth of the human voice is an excellent test of any sound system. Kathleen Battle would be a good choice. Joni Mitchell from my era also.

Lastly since the interior space is smaller in the IS there shoud be more of a headphone effect. The Pioneer DVD head unit hands off to the Mark Levinson discrete amps and drivers and this marriage should be harmonious if Percy gives it his blessing....

Thanks for the critical ear and explanations, Percy. You are the best.

Rock
Mark Levinson the man has had no involvement with Mark Levinson the brand since 1984 after a hostile take over and bankruptcy. The new owners owned the rights to his name as a trademark. Since the fisrt LS 430 wasn't released till 1989 I don't see how the Audio Emgineer could have been involved with the system design. The company was sold to Harman which has since been bought by Samsung. MLs main expertise was in high end CD/digital media players, pre-amps amd amps. Quite different requirements to those for car audio. People buying the ML system are paying for this false brand name. Harman generally make better quality car audio than Pioneer along with owning several other brands. Of their stable I would prefer a B&O system.

On a side note the Japanese standard version 2IS curiously comes with a Minidisk player along with a single CD player instead of the 6 CD stacker. Pioneer was probably struggling to sell this now obsolete format so they decided to bang them in their Lexus head units.

Cheers - Tatengue