IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mark Levinson IS350 THE AUDITION...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-07, 04:45 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Thing is, it's not like it's a typo in one print ad. It says it at least 3 entirely different places... lexus.com, the ML lexus web site, and in the printed sales material.

In none of the three does it say -anything- about the nav system when it describes the formats the ML stereo (by itself) can play.
It doesn't state it because it doesn't have to. Non-Nav ML is a special order in all regions. Although it is stated as an option it also states "Optional equipment listed may not be available seperately or in all regions."

Also "Specifications, features, equipment, technical data, performance figures, options, and coor and trim are based upon information available at time of posting, are subject to change without notice, are for mainland USA vehicles and may differ in the state of Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and in other regions."

Now like anything, if the dealer put in writing that you would get a system that plays DVD-A then you would have something to fall back on and perhaps get an upgrade to the Nav based system. Other than that you are likely out of luck.
Old 08-10-07, 06:12 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Toyota_F1
It doesn't state it because it doesn't have to. Non-Nav ML is a special order in all regions. Although it is stated as an option it also states "Optional equipment listed may not be available seperately or in all regions."

Also "Specifications, features, equipment, technical data, performance figures, options, and coor and trim are based upon information available at time of posting, are subject to change without notice, are for mainland USA vehicles and may differ in the state of Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and in other regions."

Now like anything, if the dealer put in writing that you would get a system that plays DVD-A then you would have something to fall back on and perhaps get an upgrade to the Nav based system. Other than that you are likely out of luck.
Except the info in all 3 sources is NOT accurate at time of writing, and isn't true for mainland USA vehicles. Further, the first disclaimer you mention is about the availability of options, NOT about the options not doing what they're explicitly listed as doing.

Making it special order doesn't mean it doesn't have to do what it's, in writing in three different locations, listed as doing.

Likewise if the ML system showed up with 6 speakers instead of 14, that'd be a problem too. Because that's also in writing in at least 3 different locations.

I get most folks don't think the complaint will do anything, it might not, but it's free to make phone call and see, and you'd be surprised how much more likely they are to want to shut someone up with a small compensation (small to them) rather than get any kinda bad press.
Old 08-11-07, 12:46 AM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
you'd be surprised how much more likely they are to want to shut someone up with a small compensation (small to them) rather than get any kinda bad press.
Not entirely true...now when that was posted was about 10/11/2005... that options list hasn't really changed since then and at that time was accurate as far as anyone can tell. And calling the Lexus Customer Experience line is valuable on many levels, it lets the corporate portion of the company review any complaints or questions it may not get, can help make future design change decisions, and may get you some valuable information, but it's rare any compensation would come of it. It would have to be some hellaciously bad press for you to be compensated for any substantial amount.

Already dealt with Lexus Cust Exp a few times with the DVD-A playing capability of the ML/Nav equipped IS and would have to let you know that no compensation came of it. From the sound of it what you had was a dealer who either mis-spoke or didn't know their info, so if that car has non-nav ML and doesn't perform to what they advised you that would be your most logical route to compensation.
Old 08-11-07, 08:41 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toyota_F1
Not entirely true...now when that was posted was about 10/11/2005... that options list hasn't really changed since then and at that time was accurate as far as anyone can tell. And calling the Lexus Customer Experience line is valuable on many levels, it lets the corporate portion of the company review any complaints or questions it may not get, can help make future design change decisions, and may get you some valuable information, but it's rare any compensation would come of it. It would have to be some hellaciously bad press for you to be compensated for any substantial amount.

Already dealt with Lexus Cust Exp a few times with the DVD-A playing capability of the ML/Nav equipped IS and would have to let you know that no compensation came of it. From the sound of it what you had was a dealer who either mis-spoke or didn't know their info, so if that car has non-nav ML and doesn't perform to what they advised you that would be your most logical route to compensation.
As I've pointed out a couple times, the DVD-A ability of the non-nav ML isn't from a dealer misinforming me... it's from Lexus itself. On their own direct lexus.com web site, on the ML lexus option web site as well, and printed in the marketing material they give you for a third source.

If this was just some know-nothing dealer being wrong I wouldn't expect much. But it's lexus, in writing, three different places, being substantially wrong and misrepresenting the capabilities of the option.

It's be the same thing as if the car didn't have the amount of horsepower they claim it does... which has happened to Mazda a couple of times and every time when they got called on it they compensated owners. They claim, in writing, several places, the car has a specific capability, and it doesn't. That's a cause of action, not a typo.

Again, I might get nothing at all, or I might not, we'll see. It's free to check. I promise I'll let you guys know either way, you're free to mock me for wasting a phone call if nothing comes of it
Old 08-11-07, 07:59 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stand alone ML will not play DVD's, that much is true. Does anybody here really know what A DVD-A is? First off, it is not any kind of video at all. DVD is a medium in which data is stored, sometime movies, (video) sometimes music, sometimes blank. Any kind of data can be stored on a DVD. The "A" in DVD-A stands for Audio. DVD-A discs store multi-channel high resolution MUSIC. They are difficult to find because they never really caught on with the listening public, regardless of the fact that their sound quality is mind blowing. Their biggest competitor is HDCD. (High Definition Compact Disc)They are two competing formats and both require an exclusive player to play them. So, although the name is mis-leading DVD-A is a music only format and can be played on both ML systems. Just inserting a music DVD isn't going to cut it, it MUST be a DVD-A
Old 08-11-07, 11:33 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Percy
Many of you have been asking the question...is the ML worth it? How does it sound?

I'm curious how you would rate the BMW Pre 2008 Logic 7 (pre face lift) You should goto a BMW dealer and find a 2007 550i with Logic 7 and do a comparison.

I'm saying pre 2008 cuz even with my un trained ears I can tell that the 2008 L7 quality is crap. The sound quality in the pre-face lift for some reason is much better.
Old 08-12-07, 07:27 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
The stand alone ML will not play DVD's, that much is true. Does anybody here really know what A DVD-A is? First off, it is not any kind of video at all. DVD is a medium in which data is stored, sometime movies, (video) sometimes music, sometimes blank. Any kind of data can be stored on a DVD. The "A" in DVD-A stands for Audio. DVD-A discs store multi-channel high resolution MUSIC. They are difficult to find because they never really caught on with the listening public, regardless of the fact that their sound quality is mind blowing. Their biggest competitor is HDCD. (High Definition Compact Disc)They are two competing formats and both require an exclusive player to play them. So, although the name is mis-leading DVD-A is a music only format and can be played on both ML systems. Just inserting a music DVD isn't going to cut it, it MUST be a DVD-A
If the above is true (the previous ML/no-nav owner suggested it wasn't) then I have no complaint as it likely only doesn't play DVD video discs due to not having a screen to display em on (I wonder if you can hook an aftermarket LCD to it though...)

It didn't make much sense to me to design a 7.1 system that couldn't play multi-channel sources (ie DVD-A).

Guess I'll know for sure in 4-6 weeks though
Old 08-12-07, 02:12 PM
dmacneill
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I can guarantee you that a DVD-A disc will not play in the stand-alone ML (at least in the 2006 Non-NAV that I have). For example, I have a DVD-A of Beethoven's Symphonies No. 7 & 8, and I get an Error-1 message when I insert it into the player. On the disc itself there is a message which says, "This album was mixed and mastered especially for DVD-Audio, and only plays on players with a DVD logo." The stand-alone ML player does not have a DVD logo. By the way, HDCD is an acronym for High Definition Compatible Digital.
Old 09-15-07, 10:32 PM
maxnix
Driver

No frequency sweeps? Seems like your ML settings may not be flat but peaked at bass and high frequencies.

Interesting with all the "musical training", only processed pop is used to subjectively rate the ML system.

A little back to back with standard Pioneer system would have helped.
Old 09-16-07, 10:41 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I bought a used 06 IS350 recently and how can I find out if it has ML audio? There's no logo on the stereo but there is center speaker. Is it ML? I guess not since I've seen the center speakers on all IS.
Old 09-16-07, 11:44 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
I bought a used 06 IS350 recently and how can I find out if it has ML audio? There's no logo on the stereo but there is center speaker. Is it ML? I guess not since I've seen the center speakers on all IS.
It would say "Mark Levinson" on it.
Old 09-16-07, 03:36 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
The center channel speaker cover is on all IS, but the actual speaker is only behind the cover on ML equipped vehicles.
Old 11-17-07, 12:06 AM
Lex Law
Pole Position

Default I need a diagram

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
update...
i just installed a 25 watt 6 ohm resistor inline with the center channel speaker and now the sound staging is WAYY better and more balanced, now i can actually hear the door speakers and tweeters on the doors!

if you want to do this mod all you have to do is cut the yellow wire on the connector that holds the speakers wires on the front most plug, install the resistor and your set.
Bass Mech, how do you get to the yellow wire? Did you go in through the speaker cover or pull out the head unit or what? I have no idea how to get to the yellow wire or the front-most plug.

And please keep in mind, I don't know how to get either of those off either. You're gonna have to dumb it down for me. Help!
Old 11-17-07, 06:40 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex Law
Bass Mech, how do you get to the yellow wire? Did you go in through the speaker cover or pull out the head unit or what? I have no idea how to get to the yellow wire or the front-most plug.

And please keep in mind, I don't know how to get either of those off either. You're gonna have to dumb it down for me. Help!
all you have to do is access the amp under the floor of the trunk on the right side. just lift the floor to access the spare then remove the right side cover, then locate the plug on the amp and remove it for access.
Old 11-17-07, 09:01 AM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

do you think the engineers set up the flat tone controls so that when all were boosted to the max the speakers wouldnt blow or distort? reverse engineering so to speak...therefore small adjustments to the tone controls may be needed to get the most from the system.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson IS350 THE AUDITION...