IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Windshield Eyebrow Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-05, 10:07 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield Eyebrow Question

Does anyone know why Lexus did away with the front windshield eyebrow (the dark strip across the top of the windshield) on the new IS? I've noticed more and more manufacturers have eliminated the eyebrow. Is it just to save a few pennies? To me, it just gives the vehicle a cheap clear window look from the 60's. I've noticed that all the latest MB's, many GM vehicles, Ford, Chrysler, etc. have done the same thing.
Old 12-13-05, 06:40 AM
chuckler
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Does anyone know why Lexus did away with the front windshield eyebrow (the dark strip across the top of the windshield) on the new IS? I've noticed more and more manufacturers have eliminated the eyebrow. Is it just to save a few pennies? To me, it just gives the vehicle a cheap clear window look from the 60's. I've noticed that all the latest MB's, many GM vehicles, Ford, Chrysler, etc. have done the same thing.
huh, never reallie noticed that in the IS, guess its cuz its useless since it was used to block the sun but thats what the visors are for now
Old 12-13-05, 07:10 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

shouldn't be a cost saving thing--it costs practically nothing to have the band.
Old 12-13-05, 08:15 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To me, it just gives the vehicle a cheap clear window look from the 60's.
I think that to most automakers, the tinted strip is outdated. More car companies are looking into cleaner streamlined looks.

A clear window is not from the 60s, but a tinted one is from the 80s and 90s.
Old 12-13-05, 10:22 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Maybe its just me but one of the first things I notice on any vehicle is the windshield eyebrow. The lack of it just reminds me of old Subaru's, Toyota's, Honda's from years ago that came with tinted glass all around but didn't have the w/s eyebrow to save money. And yes, they all came with interior visors back then. All the more expensive models and premium brands always had the eyebrow across the top of the w/s. Looks to me that its just a way for the manufacturers to cut a few nickels off the price of the w/s. Ridiculous on a premium brand though. And Mercedes should be ashamed of themselves but I'm sure the bean counters from the Chrysler side had their say on the elimination of the eyebrow.
Old 12-13-05, 10:25 AM
dennis250
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
A clear window is not from the 60s, but a tinted one is from the 80s and 90s.
Agreed. Tint strips look soooo dated. And they're worthless.
What helps, and our new Passat has it, is the black dot pattern around the rearview mirror where the visors are ineffective.
Old 12-13-05, 04:53 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

I prefer it without the strip because it will have a cleaner look to it, when I tint the whole windshield.
Old 12-13-05, 10:15 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Agreed. Tint strips look soooo dated. And they're worthless.
What helps, and our new Passat has it, is the black dot pattern around the rearview mirror where the visors are ineffective. [/QUOTE]

I almost always use the tint strip since it saves me from having to pull the visor down. My 06 GX470 does have the dot matrix pattern around the rear view mirror. Its new on the 06 model year. It also comes in handy since there is no extension on the visor that can slide towards the center to block out the sun.
Old 12-14-05, 06:45 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe its just me but one of the first things I notice on any vehicle is the windshield eyebrow. The lack of it just reminds me of old Subaru's, Toyota's, Honda's from years ago that came with tinted glass all around but didn't have the w/s eyebrow to save money. And yes, they all came with interior visors back then. All the more expensive models and premium brands always had the eyebrow across the top of the w/s. Looks to me that its just a way for the manufacturers to cut a few nickels off the price of the w/s. Ridiculous on a premium brand though. And Mercedes should be ashamed of themselves but I'm sure the bean counters from the Chrysler side had their say on the elimination of the eyebrow.
why would premium brands pinch a few pennies/nickles by not having the tint strip?! There are many ways of saving money that are invisible to the buyer. Until you mentioned it, I didn't even realize my IS did not have the strip, because the top of the windshield was so close to my eyes. There has to be a legit reason other than cost saving.
Old 12-14-05, 04:29 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

still trying to imagine how it'll look on our car...