IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

racing seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 07:01 PM
decimx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default racing seats

ok so i recently just got a 2003 is300 and im kinda tall have long legs plenty of headroom but what i am looking to do is sit lower in the car so that my legs fit under the steering wheel just if this car had tilt and telescoping steering wheel it wouldn't be an issue...so the question is with a racing seats would i sit lower in this car. Does anyone have any experience with putting in racing seats in there is300 ...i was also thinking of getting an after market steering wheel from NRG with a spacer to move the wheel closer to me but the main goal is to sit lower in the car. ok guys what do you have for me thanks
Old 02-08-18, 07:21 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

Aftermarket seats will make you sit lower. But that is mostly because you replace the powered seat motors with a simple sliding bracket. Aftermarket seats, be they 1pc (buckets) or 2pc "reclineables" don't lower you very much. It's removing all the motors, gears and their brackets attached to the OEM seats that changes everything.

When it comes to your steering wheel, you have a lot of different choices you can do. There are different styles of aftermarket steering wheels you can buy. Some are shaped like the OEM "flat-face" wheel. Others are "deep dish" and move the grip closer to the driver. There are spacers out there in many different widths, and if you ever considered getting a steering wheel quick release setup, that will move the wheel a lot closer to you. You definitely won't need a spacer if you use one of those.
Old 02-08-18, 08:25 PM
decimx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So in other words because the the motors from the factory seat arnt there the aftermarket are able to sit lower along with aftermarket seat rails
Old 02-09-18, 12:10 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

yes, that is correct. the aftermarket seats cushions are different as well and not as plush, thick or comfortable.
Old 03-06-18, 07:54 AM
harlockssx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6'5" and 315, very broad being a former powerlifter, and although I love my IS300, I've also been considering the same. It wasn't so much a deal when I was younger, but at 45, with some physical limitations from military service, I've grown to hate my factory seats. I feel like I have to recline too far to get comfortable, and then my arms are fully extended. I'm on the fence about going with an aftermarket steering wheel, because I would want to keep the rest of my airbag system functioning, and not have a fault showing all the time, from removing the oem wheel and airbag. I guess a resistor or something would be in order. My biggest downside is my tan leather interior leaves few choices in aftermarket seating, unless I want to look like an 18 year old Honda fanboy with gaudy mismatched color interior.
Old 03-28-18, 01:50 AM
carid
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by harlockssx
My biggest downside is my tan leather interior leaves few choices in aftermarket seating, unless I want to look like an 18 year old Honda fanboy with gaudy mismatched color interior.
Hi @harlockssx,
I've checked our inventory of racing seats, and there are 3 tan seat options available for the 2002 IS. Please see the links below, maybe that's what you were looking for.
CPA Series reclining racing ceats by Cipher Auto at CARiD
CPA2009 Series reclinable racing seats by Cipher Auto at CARiD.com
Euro Series reclinable racing seats at CARiD
As for the installation, you will need to purchase racing seat brackets separately, as they are required for installation in your specific vehicle. Single-lock sliders are included, though. Aftermarket racing seats may be incompatible with modern SRS airbag systems. Though there are ways to bypass the airbag system, it has to be done professionally to avoid complications that may arise from this. Please be aware of this fact before purchase and installation.