IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

GTE internals and HG

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-16, 04:57 PM
JCkicks300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTE internals and HG

I been doing some research on upgrading my GE internals because I want to boost my car and make 600+ hp . I know my GE internals would/could fail @ 400hp .

I was reading a discussion about the differences between forged and GTE internals . I came to the conclusion that I want to get the GTE internals because they are stronger than my GE internals and fit right in and can handle up to 700hp . Where can I buy the GTE internals ? I keep finding forged pistons but I want the GTE internals .

I also know I should get a thicker HG . I was reading about getting the TT HG . Is that the OEM one ? Or which HG should I be getting ?

I also know I should get the ARP head studs while I'm at it .

If any of you guys can answer or please help me out I would greatly appreciate it .
Old 03-14-16, 12:14 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You have to find someone selling the GTE internals or just buy new from the dealer. I have a set for sale, $225 shipped.

If going GTE internals, I would recommend sticking with the stock head gasket - it is plenty strong and if you go GTE gasket, you will lower compression much further than necessary which makes the engine less responsive and laggy.
Old 03-14-16, 05:29 AM
JCkicks300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
You have to find someone selling the GTE internals or just buy new from the dealer. I have a set for sale, $225 shipped.

If going GTE internals, I would recommend sticking with the stock head gasket - it is plenty strong and if you go GTE gasket, you will lower compression much further than necessary which makes the engine less responsive and laggy.
Awesome . Are they brand new or how many miles are on them ? My goal is to boost my car tho . I thought I would be off better with the GTE HG if I wanted to boost my GE . However , I did also read something about what you are telling me .

Last edited by JCkicks300; 03-14-16 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Didn't finish the reply
Old 03-14-16, 07:15 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by JCkicks300
Awesome . Are they brand new or how many miles are on them ? My goal is to boost my car tho . I thought I would be off better with the GTE HG if I wanted to boost my GE . However , I did also read something about what you are telling me .
The Gte gasket can be used by itself to lower compression ratio and is used quite often on the non vvti GE motors. They have strong bottom ends. The gasket swap isnt truly ideal but works well to lower compression to a nice 9.2:1. When doing GTE pistons and rods, compression will already be lowered to that, and then if you did the gasket also, it lowers to around 8.4:1

That is close to stock GTE, but that low is not necessary.

The pistons and rods I have are out of an Aristo motor, unknown mileage. They are in good shape and have been recently cleaned.
Old 03-14-16, 09:41 PM
JCkicks300
Driver School Candidate

The Gte gasket can be used by itself to lower compression ratio and is used quite often on the non vvti GE motors. They have strong bottom ends. The gasket swap isnt truly ideal but works well to lower compression to a nice 9.2:1. When doing GTE pistons and rods, compression will already be lowered to that, and then if you did the gasket also, it lowers to around 8.4:1

That is close to stock GTE, but that low is not necessary.

The pistons and rods I have are out of an Aristo motor, unknown mileage. They are in good shape and have been recently cleaned.
Isn't low compression with high boost better than high compression with low boost ? Or am I misunderstanding ? Remember , I want to eventually boost my GE .
Old 03-14-16, 11:08 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Once upon a time when nice standalone engine management ecu's didn't exist, the only way to combat detonation was with lowering the compression ratio. With modern engine management, you can fine tune everything so well that you can tune around even a very high compression motor.

I made almost 500 whp on pump gas on 10:1 compression ratio. I then turned around and made over 650 whp on the same motor with e85.
Old 03-15-16, 05:03 AM
JCkicks300
Driver School Candidate

Once upon a time when nice standalone engine management ecu's didn't exist, the only way to combat detonation was with lowering the compression ratio. With modern engine management, you can fine tune everything so well that you can tune around even a very high compression motor.

I made almost 500 whp on pump gas on 10:1 compression ratio. I then turned around and made over 650 whp on the same motor with e85.
Nice ! Awesome , so with after I switch to GTE internals and leave my GE HG and tune my car I should be fine if I decide to boost , correct ? Yo I really appreciate all your help bro . Trust me I've done tons of research before asking but there's always little comments like the ones we are discussing that dnt get covered .
Old 03-15-16, 05:36 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Correct, you will be fine.

However, changing to lower compression anything is going to negatively effect drivability unless boosted.
Old 03-16-16, 06:38 PM
JCkicks300
Driver School Candidate

Correct, you will be fine.

However, changing to lower compression anything is going to negatively effect drivability unless boosted.
Oh man ! So pretty much I shouldn't upgrade my internals until I'm ready to boost ?
Old 03-16-16, 06:50 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Correct sir
Old 03-16-16, 07:38 PM
JCkicks300
Driver School Candidate

Correct sir
Ughhhhhh ! Ok , thanks a lot bro . I really appreciate your help .