IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

bumper question, plz help

Old 03-04-11, 09:46 AM
babyboost
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bumper question, plz help

What is the difference in the jdm & usdm front bumpers as far as lip fitment go? I know the rears r a bit different. What mods have to be done to the front if I get a jdm lip so that it can fit my IS? PLZ help. I´m out of the country & I wanna pic this thing up b4 I leave monday.......
Old 03-04-11, 09:57 AM
babyboost
Rookie

any1?...............
Old 03-04-11, 03:15 PM
kraven9
Lead Lap

^Sorry Mike but you're incorrect. :P The USDM bumper is larger than the JDM bumper. It also has sidemarkers unlike it's JDM counterpart. Also a JDM bumper will not fir against the USDM crashbar (too big), you have to get a JDM crashbar (smaller) for it to fit or remove the USDM completely. Babyboost if you buy that JDM lip, you will have to cut it in the middle, put the ends on the bumper and use fiberglass to fill/shape the middle.
Old 03-04-11, 03:26 PM
BernieIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by babyboost
What is the difference in the jdm & usdm front bumpers as far as lip fitment go? I know the rears r a bit different. What mods have to be done to the front if I get a jdm lip so that it can fit my IS? PLZ help. I´m out of the country & I wanna pic this thing up b4 I leave monday.......
The difference is that the JDM Crash bar behind the bumper cover is only about 1" think where the USDM is much thinker. Since the USDM is thinker this bumper sticks out further. Since the bumper sticks out further the overall length of the sides of the front bumper are longer preventing a JDM lip from working on a USDM stock bumper. Here are some rough sketches to help you. They are not very good but hopefully this helps you.

Old 03-04-11, 05:20 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BernieIS
The difference is that the JDM Crash bar behind the bumper cover is only about 1" think where the USDM is much thinker. Since the USDM is thinker this bumper sticks out further. Since the bumper sticks out further the overall length of the sides of the front bumper are longer preventing a JDM lip from working on a USDM stock bumper. Here are some rough sketches to help you. They are not very good but hopefully this helps you.

This is the same for front and rear.
Old 03-04-11, 05:45 PM
babyboost
Rookie

thanx guys. The lip I´m lookin at is made of fiberglass any way. So, from what Kraven says all I have to do is cut it in the middle and take some off, or will I have to cut and extend? I appreciate the help. I can buy 6 lips here for what it would cost me to buy 1 in the US.
Old 03-04-11, 05:46 PM
babyboost
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikestyles
you need to post a pic of what the " jdm " your looking at it.
the usdm and jdm factory bumpers are the same.
there are different factory optioned bumpers available thru different packages of the car. aswell as tuner shop bumpers such as toms, blits, greddy, and origin.

no matter what some sanding and slight adjusting will be done to any authentic bumper no matter who makes it. the body shop should take care of that when its being installed.

the rear is actually shorter due to the differences in crash bars from us and japan. ( ie different levels of safety requirements )

martin if you can just call me directly or send me a pic

I´ll try and call u tomorrow when I go to the shop
Old 03-04-11, 06:13 PM
BernieIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by babyboost
thanx guys. The lip I´m lookin at is made of fiberglass any way. So, from what Kraven says all I have to do is cut it in the middle and take some off, or will I have to cut and extend? I appreciate the help. I can buy 6 lips here for what it would cost me to buy 1 in the US.
You will have to cut and extend. This is not as easy as it sounds. You can buy that many for the cost of 1 JDM one however you are not factoring in the cost of the prep work for making the non JDM one fit. In addition not every body guy is willing to do this type of work and those that are willing are not always any good at what they do do.

I have purchased two knock offs in the last year and they have not even seen paint due to poor quality. I finally ended up buying the real deal Vertex and it fits perfectly. It just needs to be painted and put on.
Old 03-05-11, 02:15 PM
babyboost
Rookie

^^^I feel u on that. What knock offs have you bought? If its not worth the time then I´m not gonna buy it. Maybe I can buy one of urs.
Old 03-05-11, 09:10 PM
nvryder
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BernieIS
You will have to cut and extend. This is not as easy as it sounds. You can buy that many for the cost of 1 JDM one however you are not factoring in the cost of the prep work for making the non JDM one fit. In addition not every body guy is willing to do this type of work and those that are willing are not always any good at what they do do.

I have purchased two knock offs in the last year and they have not even seen paint due to poor quality. I finally ended up buying the real deal Vertex and it fits perfectly. It just needs to be painted and put on.

+1...still trying to fix what the installer did with mine. It just didn't fit right. Some small things are a little off (fitment) and it bugs the shiznet outta me....