IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Failed NYS Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 11:26 AM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed NYS Inspection

Against my better judgement and the poll results of my thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ep-the-gs.html, i went and traded anyway

now im stuck with a car that cant pass inspection. the printout revealed the problems to be...
EVAP SYSTEM - NOT READY
CATALYST - NOT READY
OXYGEN SENSOR - NOT READY.

the gentleman i bought them from said that the O2 sensors are brand new. im not familiar with the evap system, but could that be causing the other two problems?

how much would a repair bill be for these problems?
Old 02-09-11, 11:47 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well the evap system needs to be diagnosed correctly. Either small leak or gross leak. Usually fuel caps that aren't sealing correctly or not clicked tight a few times can leak. check vacuum lines as well.
Any CEL? usually if the o2 sensor is coding that'll sometimes pop a cat code.
You need to get it diagnosed with a good code reader to look further into the problem.
Old 02-09-11, 12:19 PM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

thanks for the reply Justin. i got in touch with the seller. regarding the evap system, he said that there is a box around the solenoid near the intake box with two hoses in it. suggested that one of them might be open and that i plug it. will give it a go and see what happens.

i just remembered that the car has a full exhaust w/o a cat. sounds like that would explain the other two codes.
Old 02-09-11, 01:16 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vic Nyce
thanks for the reply Justin. i got in touch with the seller. regarding the evap system, he said that there is a box around the solenoid near the intake box with two hoses in it. suggested that one of them might be open and that i plug it. will give it a go and see what happens.

i just remembered that the car has a full exhaust w/o a cat. sounds like that would explain the other two codes.
Theres that answer lol!

The evap codes could be what I've already told ya. But you need to go over your evap lines to make sure they're not cracked or also to see if your evap service port cap is closed. If it's open it'll throw a code too. You really need to see if its an evap gross leak code or evap small leak code.
Old 02-09-11, 01:44 PM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

i lied. i didnt know it was catless. the seller 'reminded' me. it eluded me because there isnt a rotten egg smell. there is some other noxious odor though.

what/where is the evap service port cap? gross leak and small leak are separate codes?
Old 02-09-11, 02:34 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Yes they are 2 different codes.

Heres a link that may help you out some. Let me know if you can access it!
http://library.alldatapro.com/alldat...57969/34858112
Old 02-10-11, 06:11 AM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

10-4 on the two different codes.

the link is a no go for me.

Sorry!
------------------------------------------------
You received this message because:
You do not have access to this URL.
Please contact your ALLDATA Account Services Representative.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

For assistance, please contact:
support@alldata.com.
Old 02-10-11, 06:30 PM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

so i went to AutoZone and asked a tech to scan my car for codes. these are what he found.

there were'nt any codes regarding evap system. probably because i reset the ECU 5 minutes before i hit the shop. slick me thought that if i reset the ECU before the inspection, it would clear my codes. NOPE lol.

Billman250 http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...=229959&st=150
Once you reset the ECU, all your monitors will be incomplete, or "not ready". You will then need to drive the car within it's designated drive cycle, until the conditions are met to reset them. Each one has differnt needs to complete, the cat monitor will take the longest. Can go from one day to one month or more, depending on driving style. You can also get data for each rediness code, that tells you the exact conditions to drive in for a quicker readiness.
==========================================================
Advice...don't reset your ECU, or interrupt battery voltage, anytime nearing the time your sticker is up

NYS inspection goes like this....

There is no emmisions gas measuring from 1996 and up, only an OBDII query which checks for codes and monitors, and the CEL comanded on. So pulling the cel bulb won't help

You can fail for a visual "no cat present" but most guys will see the nice car and not even put it on the lift.

If you show up with a few incomplete monitors, you can get a ten day. but not if it fails for a CEL first.

1996-2000 can have 2 incomplete monitors, and still pass the test

2001-2003 can have 1 incomplete monitor and still pass

2004-2005 are safety only, at this time

So an 02 sim will get you through, provided the tech doesn't fail you for a no cat.
with that, i believe the EVAP system is fine and that it simply was'nt ready.

did a little web scratching and learned some interesting things. the O2 sensor can be tricked into thinking a cat is still in place. this is done by moving it out of the way of exhaust gas flow.

i've read that this will clear the p0420 code. will clearing that also clear p0430?
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=296791
Old 02-11-11, 06:01 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Well I suppose drive it around for a bit and try the inspection again. If you pass then awesome but if you fail we'll figure out how to correct the issue!
Old 02-11-11, 06:37 AM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

do P0420 and P0430 pertain to specific O2 sensors? i really want to target the problem before i go for inspection again. if i fail again, i dont get another 10 day extension.

not to mention, that's 37 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers i could have bought at Wendy's!
Old 02-11-11, 06:50 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

This could be because lack of cats. You may need to get some token solution O2 simulators. IF your sensors are picking up readings out of the norm and it isn't a faulty O2 sensor which it would have coded differently then you need the simulators.
Old 02-11-11, 11:12 AM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

pardon my ignorance, which is bank 1? and which is bank 2?

the car has a header set on it. does the stock exhaust manifold have cat(s) built in to it?
Old 02-11-11, 11:22 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock manifold has cats. Put the stock manifold back on. And the stock Y-pipe as that has a cat too. Might need some new o2 sensors as well. Depending on what the smog laws are like, you might have to throw everything from the stock manifold all the way back to the stock exhaust back on.

You may be able to fool the computer to not show a CEL but if its anything like Cali, they read the emissions output too and you will fail anyway. (ask me how I know lol)

I had aftermarket header/ypipe and exhaust (stock B pipe) and swapped out the parts with nothing more than jack, jackstands and a rachet/wrench set in one afternoon. Getting the stock manifold back in took some manuevering but not bad. Should be able to pick up stock manifold/ypipe for a reasonable price on here or my.is or borrow some from a friend.

Last edited by DonCorleone; 02-11-11 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-11-11, 11:26 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vic Nyce
pardon my ignorance, which is bank 1? and which is bank 2?

the car has a header set on it. does the stock exhaust manifold have cat(s) built in to it?
Yes the factory manifold has 2 cats built onto it.

Last edited by Justin727; 02-11-11 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-11-11, 02:51 PM
TOPSECRTIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The same guy wanted to trade me that IS300 and a Subaru for my IS350, I also voted in your other thread. I hope you get it figured out, I'm grateful I'm a resident of FL living in NJ. No inspections.

Quick Reply: Failed NYS Inspection