IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Noise from the rear Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-10, 01:53 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from the rear Question?

My passenger side rear tire area is making a weird noise when I go over bumps.

Its pretty inconsistent but it is sorta loud when it does make it.

Im thinking it may have something to do with the brake components making the noise becasue if I drive over the bumps with my foot slightly on the brake it doesn't make any noises .......... if i drive over the same bumps without my foot slightly on the brake it makes noise.

I looked at the caliper and everything seems to be tight and look normal

Is there any parts I should look for that may be missing?

I just bought the car also
Old 10-04-10, 03:55 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Could be a sticking caliper or a collapsed brake hose.
Old 10-04-10, 07:46 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

think it may be the metal plate thing that holds the brake pads still ........ do these go bad?
Old 10-04-10, 08:19 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

which metal plate are you talking about? the rotor, the backing plate behind the rotor or the metal brake pad shims inside the caliper?
Old 10-04-10, 08:21 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Also, if you only hear the noise when going over bumps it almost sounds spring/strut related. Did you check the wheel bearing and make sure it was tight?
Old 10-04-10, 10:23 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

it does make the noise when going over bumps but not all the time....

If I apply a little pressure on the brake pedal while going over the bumps.......No noise ever.

Can the brake pads wiggle and cause noise on these cars? seems only a little thin metal thing holds them in place along with a thin pin thing too.
Old 10-05-10, 01:17 AM
FMLis300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dirkdiggle
Can the brake pads wiggle and cause noise on these cars? seems only a little thin metal thing holds them in place along with a thin pin thing too.
Awhile back I was having a constant knocking sound from the rear wheels while driving slow. Later I found out that my rear anti-squeal springs were missing. I don't know exactly how it made the noise, but after installing anti-squeal springs the noise went away.

Btw, can you describe the noise are you hearing?
Old 10-05-10, 08:16 AM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

could be missing those springs like FMLis300 said
Old 10-05-10, 09:32 AM
dirkdiggle
Driver

where do the springs go exactly? I did remove my caliper and brake pads to inspect and didnt see any springs? Just caliper, brake pads, Pin and metal thing that snaps under the pin and pushes on the pads
Old 10-05-10, 12:53 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

DUDE i know exactly what you are talking about..
I had the same problem and it was embarassing because you're driving a nice lexus but when you go over a small bump or hit a crack in the road it make this loud click noise coming from your rear brake!!

My rear right brake did that too!
But when I had my new slotted/drilled rotors and brake pads put on, the noise went away.
The noise isn't rotor related, but I think it is somethng related to the caliper/brake pad.

I was seriously shopping around for a new caliper and was just going to replace the whole thing because that's how annoying the noise was to me.
I think the mechanics fixed it on accident when he removed the caliper to put the new pads on.

My suggestion would be to just get new pads put on the rear, what's it gonna cost like only $50 or so? Or just take off your pads and put them back on. I never found out what the noise was but it was gone after I had that work done like I said.

I really got tired of hearing that dam clickign noise every time I drive over a crack or hit a small bump in the road. And if you are like me and think it will just go away over time good luck.. The noise got louder and more sensitive over time, eventually it even clicked when I was just driving on smooth road!! and when i step on the brake it would make a loud "pop" sounding click. There was no problem braking or anything, just the noise was soo embarassing... If you live in the country and no one is gonna hear the noise except trees and cows then whatever maybe you don't want care to worry about it. But I live in philly and every time I drive there are people walking around everywhere, don't want my nice looking car to sound like a clunker....

Last edited by llllllllll; 10-05-10 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-05-10, 02:27 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

Thats exactly how I feel, Its a very loud noise and I know people around can hear it.

It really only does it on very small bumps too .......... large bumps and pot holes dont make any nosie but little bumps and cracks in the road cause it to clunk loud.

I think i fixed it though

I bent the little metal thing that holds the pads in place so it rests on them even harder/tighter ........ so far no clunky clunky
Old 10-05-10, 03:52 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

They probably replaced the brake pad shims on his when they put new rear pads on. If you get a rear brake pad shim kit and install it the noise will probably go away.
Old 10-05-10, 08:11 PM
FMLis300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dirkdiggle
where do the springs go exactly? I did remove my caliper and brake pads to inspect and didnt see any springs? Just caliper, brake pads, Pin and metal thing that snaps under the pin and pushes on the pads
The anti-squeal springs are (as you call them) the 'metal thing that snaps under the pin and pushes on the pads.'

So it seems that they weren't putting enough pressure on the pads? Maybe time to get new ones or else they might fall out, which I think may have happened to mine.