IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

l-tuned???

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-01, 02:15 PM
upsground
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking l-tuned???

has any l-tuned equipment actually hit the u.s. market yet? i was going to get a new intake and wanted to know if anyone knew where i could go to find this so-called lexus approved equipment. the only website i found on l-tuned doesnt have anything other than an emblem. other than that, it appears as if i have to get an SRT or Area 51 intake. please let me know. thx.
Old 10-23-01, 08:16 PM
dpatterson069
Pole Position

as far as L tuned goes, here is what I know..

they have a drop in filter ( trd filter) and that gives some minimal power, expect the same as from a K and N filter..maybe just better "breathing" of car...

as for exhaust, they DO have an exhaust.. it gives about 8rwhp and costs about 600..but it is cali legal, which is important..
the best exhaust is the HKS hiper..it gives about 10 rwhp , or so i've heard.. however, it hangs kinda low and scrapes easily, but it only costs about 470.. installed..

SRT intake is good and AREA 51 is better... but dont jump the gun on modding your car..
wait some more and see what comes along.. aside from an intake, you are gonna need SOME TYPE of piggy back ECU that goes along with the intake for any real power difference..

my suggestion is to get the TRD or BLITZ drop in filter and use an APEXI afc...
the apexi afc works like the piggy back ecu on the srt intake.. and better yet, it can be adjusted for different intakes, such as injen or AEM, which DONT come with ECU's.. also, the apexi has a cool heads up display screen...(it goes inside your car/dash..)

honestly, im planning on a drop in filter and AFC combo..
and then the L TUNED exhaust... all together, im hoping for about 8rwhp (exhaust)+ 7rwhp ( intake/AFC )= so about 15rwhp...

hope this helps..sorry, i ran off a little bit there...
david
Old 10-23-01, 10:20 PM
upsground
Driver School Candidate

thanks man.

i asked the shop foreman at my dealer if he knew something about when l-tuned was coming out with some stuff...but he told me they said they were going to come out with some stuff about a year ago and havent yet. i mean when i fix up my car i dont want a bunch of different parts making up my car - if that makes sense. im kind of a loyalist. so, i was planning on waiting like you recommended. i guess it will be best. in the meantime, thanks for the advice. if you know where i could find a pic of the ecu you were talking about with the read out i would like to see what it looks like.

-martin
Old 10-23-01, 10:38 PM
upsground
Driver School Candidate

nevermind...i found the apexi site. sweet stuff.

-martin

Last edited by upsground; 10-23-01 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-24-01, 06:08 AM
soyb0mb
Driver

L-tuned also has a body kit out, but obviously that's not performance related.

I'd be REALLY hesitant to go w/ the Apexi S-AFC if you're only planning on doing a few bolt on mods. The unit isn't cheap, and for it to be effective, you'll have to put the car on a dyno to adujst it correctly. Then for each mod you make, you'll have to spend more time on the dyno... unless you're going to be putting your car on the track or doing some major mods, I don't see how this is cost-effective at all.
It gets evenmore ridiculous if you're going to spend $300+ on the S-AFC, then $200 for a dyno/install, only to pop a drop-in filter ($60-80) into a stock intake.

My suggestion is to spend ~$600 on either the SRT or Area 51 intake, and forget the exhaust. I'd suggest the 5zigen only because it is cheap... I can't see spending another $450-600 for 5whp.
Old 10-28-01, 07:06 PM
Sentinel
Pole Position

hmm
If you get the S-AFC for 300 tuned for 200 and a drop in for 50-80. thats the same ~600 for the AREA 51BB or SRT and you will have close to about the same gain (I read hmm I think the guy at area 51 tuned a S-AFC/Intake to 14WHP) and U dont have to retune unless U want too with additional mods. and U will have some eye candy.

Basically the Tune S-AFC, area 51BB, and SRT ECU all do the same thing. The 2 later one are more of a no brainer operation just plug and go.

If your really concerned with being lexus approved. Id wait or use the drop options.

AHH but to address Ur original question any drop in filter will not effect Ur warranty. The S-AFC or any of the piggy back ECU will potentially void ur warrenty If u have any ECU related issues(and ALOT of things are ECU controlled). Im not sure how likely that is though.
Old 10-29-01, 12:03 PM
liljungnam
Driver

AREA 51 and SRT are great companies for the LEXUS!!!! they are the best for your LEXUS. Now if your looking to buy an intake that looks modified then go with SRT but if you want a clean flush intake get the AREA 51. People you drive a LEXUS!!! get the intake that looks clean not the one that looks like it goes on a honda!!!! but if you like that look go for the SRT. Oh and then some people ask about the Super AFC and the AREA 51 BB. If you get the BB its a little BB that sits in your engine bay. You cant even tell its there. But again if you like the racey i got a big blue S-AFC that doesnt match my interior go with it. AREA 51s products go with the car.
Old 10-29-01, 12:16 PM
Sentinel
Pole Position

HAHA
Old 10-29-01, 02:36 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

hmm well some of us actually do race so we kinda like the racey look... not to be confused with the ricey look...

I see your point, it makes sense just go for what you like... that is my moto.... and if ppl dont like it well it aint their car anyway so why should you care...?