IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Stock Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-04, 04:33 PM
cheetah102
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Muffler

Is there a difference between stock mufflers for the 2001 - 2004 ?

I am looking for a chrome tip to add to my stock muffler. Any place that's decent to get and also stylish
Old 05-23-04, 03:46 AM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

I don't think there are any differences in the stock '01 to '04 exhausts. However, if you're interested in replacing your exhaust with similar quiet exhausts with a chrome tip, then I believe the exhaust from the Sportdesign edition or the LSportline exhaust may suit your needs.
Old 05-23-04, 09:06 PM
cheetah102
Rookie

Originally posted by bchau_gt
I don't think there are any differences in the stock '01 to '04 exhausts. However, if you're interested in replacing your exhaust with similar quiet exhausts with a chrome tip, then I believe the exhaust from the Sportdesign edition or the LSportline exhaust may suit your needs.
Is it worth just adding a tip over the exhaust pipe? Or just a whole new muffler? What are the advantages?
Old 05-23-04, 09:11 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by cheetah102
Is it worth just adding a tip over the exhaust pipe? Or just a whole new muffler? What are the advantages?
Well, I'm not sure where to find a chrome tip that will fit well, eBay maybe?
There are definitely advantages of replacing the whole exhaust with another axle-back exhaust. You would get some minor performance gains and a better sounding exhaust note (or at least one that you can hear). However, some people want some power gain without the increase in noise, in which case I would recommend the L-Tuned, Carson-Tuned (by Kimura), LSportline, or HKS Ti-Limited Ed exhausts.
Old 05-23-04, 09:53 PM
_DAG_
Driver

Cheetah, IMO adding the tip is a lil ricey. Some like Rominl may disagree with me (i read he just got the tips on his GS). Adding the tip is like stamping "Oakley" on your knockoff shades. Spend the $$ and get a quality part that you'll be happy with. You'll get looks, sound, and gains from an aftermarket exhaust like the HKS hiper, Greddy, or a the highly regarded Carson Tuned. Good luck and let us know what you do. I have pro1 exhaust if your curious.
Old 05-23-04, 11:24 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally posted by _DAG_
(i read he just got the tips on his GS)
I dunno where you got that idea from because he has a set of Apex'i World Sport exhausts on his GS. Don't assume what you read. And when you do read, read the post carefully.
Old 05-24-04, 12:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hahhaa easy flip, actually DAG was half right way back in 01 when i first got the GS i actually got the borla tips and installed them, coz' at that time i didn't feel like doing exhaust coz' i didn't want any noise. but summer last yr i got the apexi exhaust and now i love it

so yes i got the exhaust tips on stock exhaust, but now i got the real deal

and now i look back, yes, i think doing just tips is a bit ricey
Old 05-24-04, 07:08 AM
_DAG_
Driver

Originally posted by rominl
hahhaa easy flip, actually DAG was half right way back in 01 when i first got the GS i actually got the borla tips and installed them, coz' at that time i didn't feel like doing exhaust coz' i didn't want any noise. but summer last yr i got the apexi exhaust and now i love it

so yes i got the exhaust tips on stock exhaust, but now i got the real deal

and now i look back, yes, i think doing just tips is a bit ricey
Haha, thanks Rominl. Is the noise too much for you though with the Apexi? Why did you get the Apexi anyways?
Old 05-24-04, 12:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Haha, thanks Rominl. Is the noise too much for you though with the Apexi? Why did you get the Apexi anyways?
well my gs4 is a v8 so no matter what exhaust, i get droning at 2k rpm. it's not the loudest already and i actually like it. with the old stock exhaust, yeah it looks ok, but honestly it was a bit boring when driving. now it's a lot better

i got the apexi coz' i love the look. the can type tips were exactly what i wanted (compared to the borla tips) and the greddy / tanabe are too big, where apexi is just perfect at 4". and i got this stupidly awesome deal on the apexi i just couldn't pass
Old 05-24-04, 12:48 PM
cheetah102
Rookie

Cheetah, IMO adding the tip is a lil ricey. Some like Rominl may disagree with me (i read he just got the tips on his GS). Adding the tip is like stamping "Oakley" on your knockoff shades. Spend the $$ and get a quality part that you'll be happy with. You'll get looks, sound, and gains from an aftermarket exhaust like the HKS hiper, Greddy, or a the highly regarded Carson Tuned. Good luck and let us know what you do. I have pro1 exhaust if your curious.
Thank you fellow Lexus Owners. Yeah..the best route is replacing the muffler. Am I correct on this? w/o changing the pipes from the Exhaust header.
Old 05-24-04, 01:03 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Thank you fellow Lexus Owners. Yeah..the best route is replacing the muffler. Am I correct on this? w/o changing the pipes from the Exhaust header.
You don't have to replace the exhaust header, y-pipe, or b-pipe unless you want to. Just replacing the exhaust should be good enough. Replacing the other exhaust piping will yield more power gains, but also increase noise considerably (especially when removing the resonator on the b-pipe). Replacing the headers and y-pipe will also remove your cats.
Old 05-25-04, 12:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah you can just do the axle back setup, meaning just the muffler, that's fine. though personally i am more interested in the cat back setup
Old 05-25-04, 08:07 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

You don't have to replace the exhaust header, y-pipe, or b-pipe unless you want to. Just replacing the exhaust should be good enough. Replacing the other exhaust piping will yield more power gains, but also increase noise considerably (especially when removing the resonator on the b-pipe). Replacing the headers and y-pipe will also remove your cats.
Just a little clarification, removing the stock Y pipe will not remove any cats at all.
Old 05-25-04, 08:48 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by flipside909
Just a little clarification, removing the stock Y pipe will not remove any cats at all.
You sure? I thought the last (larger) cat was on the y-pipe because it was my understanding replacing the y-pipe with a XERD racepipe or Toyomoto/TBKO y-pipe removed the cat. Or is the last cat on the b-pipe along with the resonator?
Old 05-25-04, 08:51 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

You sure? I thought the last (larger) cat was on the y-pipe because it was my understanding replacing the y-pipe with a XERD racepipe or Toyomoto/TBKO y-pipe removed the cat. Or is the last cat on the b-pipe along with the resonator?
Larger cat is seperate of the B pipe and Y pipe. B pipe includes the resonator.