Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

is FRONT WHEEL drive sufficient for driving in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 08:30 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default is FRONT WHEEL drive sufficient for driving in snow?

well it looks like I'll be transferred to Denver in a year or so - I was just there this week and there was snow/ice everywhere - but its flat in Denver, no mountains or even hills - so is FWD with a set of winter wheels/snow tires sufficient or should I think about getting an AWD/4WD vehicle in the future? I mean I like to ski/snowboard and my brother does live in the mountains....so.....

I was thinking of:

used Lexus RX400h CPO
used Ford Escape Hydrid 4WD
used Subaru WRX

trying to stay at or below $25K

I think these look decent...

Last edited by bagwell; 02-11-11 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-11-11, 08:43 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would get AWD if you plan on heading up to the mountains. I don't know Colorado's rules, but I know in the state of Washington, you didn't have to carry chains with you in the mountains if you had AWD/4WD.

After having AWD/4WD cars for a long time, I'm currently driving a 2010 GTI in Michigan. Not a super hill place, but I still find that even on slight inclines, it's pretty tough to get going from a standstill. This is with good all season tires. I could probably do better with winter tires, but I didn't want to spend extra on more tires.

That's a pretty wide range of car you're looking at. I've had a 2009 WRX (looks like you're looking at a 2009 or 2010. With snow tires, that car felt unstoppable in the mountain passes of Washington and up to Canada.
Old 02-11-11, 08:49 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AWD w/ dedicated snow tires, you could go up Pikes Peak

FWD with snow tires in Denver, you'll be fine
Old 02-11-11, 09:06 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
That's a pretty wide range of car you're looking at.
yep...I'm more of a car guy but I'm keeping all options on the table.

I'm hoping I'll live within walking distance of my office (near old Stapleton Airport if anyone knows Denver) when I move but....you know how that goes

they only reason I have a Prius now is I live 27 miles away from my office = 15k miles per year

Last edited by bagwell; 02-11-11 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-11-11, 09:21 AM
JessePS

I've only driven with FWD or AWD vehicles. I really enjoy FWD in the winter, at least when you know your losing control of sorts, you can easily correct it, but your safest bet with AWD/4WD.
Old 02-11-11, 09:48 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

so I'm new to the AWD/4WD.....why the difference?

AWD is all the time?
4WD is selectable, part-time (only)?
Old 02-11-11, 10:02 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I only had FWD cars w/ all season tires living in NY and i never had an issue with the snow. However, in Denver, i would probably opt for an awd vehicle.
Old 02-11-11, 10:32 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get by with FWD, but AWD is more mindless driving and it also allows you to venture out when roads have not been plowed yet \ blowing snow \ poor road conditions.

A good driver will do ok with FWD but once you drive an AWD setup in the snow it really is night and day. Other then sports cars, any suv \ truck we own is awd.......

Some of the pitfalls on the AWD vs 4x4 is certain drive trains are 1:1 all the way around which means all tires must match, so if you blow out one tire your changing all 4 to make sure their all the same exact size.
Old 02-11-11, 10:32 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
yep...I'm more of a car guy but I'm keeping all options on the table.

I'm hoping I'll live within walking distance of my office (near old Stapleton Airport if anyone knows Denver) when I move but....you know how that goes

they only reason I have a Prius now is I live 27 miles away from my office = 15k miles per year
My best friend lives in Denver and I visit frequently.

You will be fine with a FWD car and good tires....it's all of the other idiots that refuse to adequately equip their vehicles with proper tires and drive safely in adverse conditions. It is amazing that an inch or two of snow can completely shut down the city of Denver. It's not like it's a surprise and they don't see those conditions every year.
Old 02-11-11, 10:36 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Another thing to look at is how common awd is in the area, if its a big want in the denver area then for resale value alone its worth the extra bucks upfront for awd to make it up on the back end
Old 02-11-11, 11:25 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

so I'm new to the AWD/4WD.....why the difference?

AWD is all the time?
4WD is selectable, part-time (only)?
AWD in deep snow is sometimes a pain, where you would muscle your way through some deep trenches the traction control kicks in and over rides the traditional 4WD of just having a split 50/50 power to traction, but that is just deep stuff, it's not uncommon to come across post on here or other forums with owners wondering why their new SUV does not drive well in the snow, it's just the SUV thinks it slipping, on a road that does not have a foot of snow, so switch it into 4wd, select snow mode, lock the differential

Last edited by <VENOM>; 02-11-11 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-11-11, 11:29 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

my vote goes towards the subaru. Its a small, sporty car that has a good ground clearance to get through the snow
Old 02-11-11, 11:42 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

good info, thanks guys.....I may try to add a POLL.

1. my Prius with 4 snow tires
2. used CPO Lexus RX400h 4WD with all-season tires
3. used CPO Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD
4. used CPO Subaru WRX (265hp) AWD
5. other recommendations?
Old 02-11-11, 12:01 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

So let me chime in since I actually live in Denver.

1) Your 3 choices would be perfect here in the snow.
used Lexus RX400h CPO
used Ford Escape Hydrid 4WD
used Subaru WRX
Obviously the WRX is the most fun to drive.

2) Everyone here has Subaru's and I think the market here is artificially high due to the demand. So if you decide to pick one up get one in TX if possible you will probably pay less.

3) You could get by with FWD as most of our snow storms are like a foot and less. You will be suprised how the snow rarely stay on the roads for more than 1-2 days. For example it snowed last week and now its going to be 60 deg this weekend. The roads are already bone dry.

As a person who has lived here my whole life and driven manily FWD cars, (Volvos, Maximas, Accords) You only really get screwed with FWD when we get the wet fall/spring blizzards and its over a foot of snow.

If you want to be invincible you need AWD or 4WD and snow tires.

As you can see with my sig that is why I have the G35x. Which also is in your price range. Make sure to get the S just so you can **** of 1SICKLEX.

On a side note I drove my RWD GS400 for 5 years in the winter here and got by ok. It was scary some times because the places you think are flat in Denver become monster hills with the right temps and snow fall. I had to use the best snow tires and 16inch wheels to get by.

But ultimately I got tired of it. I will say this, my AWD purchase has paid for itself so may times this year as I will blow by trucks and suv's who dont have good tires. Plus AWD is just a blast to drive in the snow.

Depending on what happens next winter, there is a chance you wont see more than 5-7 days of snow in Denver. That has happened during some of our dry years.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 02-11-11, 12:03 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

good info, thanks guys.....I may try to add a POLL.

1. my Prius with 4 snow tires
2. used CPO Lexus RX400h 4WD with all-season tires
3. used CPO Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD
4. used CPO Subaru WRX (265hp) AWD
5. other recommendations?
1. Prius- snow tires ALWAYS win in snow (if you MUST keep it)
2. Subaru
3. Lexus RX
4. Too numerous, but wide open
5. Escape

FYI- 2 of our 3 Denver engineers drive Subarus....

Quick Reply: is FRONT WHEEL drive sufficient for driving in snow?