Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Considering a Used Rx450h - Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-18, 12:44 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Considering a Used Rx450h - Regrets?

So, I have a 2010 RX350 - with nearly 230k miles on it. First owner.

I'm beginning to think it's time to change cars - and don't really want to pay $50k+ for a car when I'm driving 25k miles per year. The RX350 has been solid, reliable, and comfortable, and it's exceeded my aims of 200k miles.

Since I'm now driving so much, I'd like better gas mileage. But I don't want all-electric. I like the solidity of the Lexus - so I'm considering an RX450h, but used. It's been 25 years since I've bought a used car, (!!) but I can apparently save $20k or more by buying a 2015 model year with lower miles.

Does anyone have regrets about their 450h? Who here has made the move from the 350 to the 450h? Would it be better to by a new 300h?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 09-16-18, 08:10 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Some quick points:
  • No regrets on my RX450h
  • Better mileage will come mainly with city driving. If you're driving is primarily highway, your mileage benefit over RX350 will be smaller.
  • Going with a new NX300h, it's a smaller, 4 cyl based hybrid setup, more like a Lexified RAV4 XLE hybrid with RX styling. It will certainly outdo an RX450H for mileage (especially if highway is on your menu), but not for space or power. Certainly more expensive than going used, but if you're planning another 200,000 miles, may... be...?
  • Going hybrid, the most common driveability complaints I've heard over over 10 yrs driving them
    • Why does it whine when braking, I don't like that (regenerative braking)
    • Why does the engine rev at a constant level instead of rising, it sounds weird (no gears, engine revs are based on power demands, not on speed changes)
    • Why does the braking feel weird sometimes when I come to a stop (transition point from regenerative to mechanical braking sometimes does feel different, especially on bumpy or slippery roads when ABS is activated)
    • Why does power lag at start, its dangerous (for really fast starts, it does take the engine a fraction of a second extra to start and spin up, if feels longer than it really is, but something to consider if stopping on railroad tracks often. Lots of non-hybrids are using engine stop tech now, so its something that is becoming the new normal, not so much hybrid specific)
Good luck with your decision.
The following users liked this post:
Sandi_k (09-17-18)
Old 09-16-18, 09:35 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Thanks, Andy. Yeah, I know the specs. Inline 4 vs. V6, CVT vs. classic transmission. DH has an all-electric Bolt, so the regenerative braking is also not a surprise.

I find myself leaning towards the 450h - it's hard to mess with success, and I can't help but think that a 6-cylinder engine is meant more for longevity than a 4 cylinder engine. I have a line on a used 450h, with only 19k miles - but it's a 2013, and a friend has noted that could be an issue with hybrid battery longevity....but it's the color combo I want, and the price is right.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 09-17-18, 05:46 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
Does anyone have regrets about their 450h?
Not here. Can't speak for others. Though you're always likely to find someone who regrets and decision on any topic given that everyone isn't exactly identical. To make any decision you need to sort out your priorities and use that to find the right option for you. Polling others about how happy they are with their decisions isn't the way to sort out any decision. Difference people will find different options to be better suited to them for different reasons.

Since I'm now driving so much, I'd like better gas mileage.
If this is your only or biggest reason for selecting the 450h you will probably be disappointed. Fuel economy is/can be better but not drastically so. If you want significantly better fuel economy you need to look at a different vehicle. Driving style is also a big factor that many overlook. Unless you're willing to adapt you'll see even less of a gain. I can do better than a 350 in our 450. I can also do worse. How I drive it has a significant impact.

I can't help but think that a 6-cylinder engine is meant more for longevity than a 4 cylinder engine.
Where do you get this notion from? Number of cylinders does not directly or solely impact longevity.

Last edited by takeshi74; 09-17-18 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-17-18, 07:03 AM
hghudso
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I have a 2010 RX350 - with nearly 230k miles on it. First owner.

I'm beginning to think it's time to change cars - and don't really want to pay $50k+ for a car when I'm driving 25k miles per year. The RX350 has been solid, reliable, and comfortable, and it's exceeded my aims of 200k miles.

Since I'm now driving so much, I'd like better gas mileage. But I don't want all-electric. I like the solidity of the Lexus - so I'm considering an RX450h, but used. It's been 25 years since I've bought a used car, (!!) but I can apparently save $20k or more by buying a 2015 model year with lower miles.

Does anyone have regrets about their 450h? Who here has made the move from the 350 to the 450h? Would it be better to by a new 300h?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
We have a 2013 450h. No regrets at all. Don't get full benefit of hybrid on the road (25-26mpg) while around town (28-29mpg).
Old 09-17-18, 07:50 AM
Droid13
Racer

Originally Posted by takeshi74
Where do you get this notion from? Number of cylinders does not directly or solely impact longevity.
Historical interpretation. A lot of us that drove cars in the 70s and 80s have this opinion. Coming out of the V8s that had low engine loads and would practically idle down the highway, vs the new fad 4 cyl engines that would need 7000rpm just to get on the highway, and were burnt out after 60K or 70K miles. The differences are not so much anymore, but it's hard to shake experience. This experience has many names, Vega, Astra, Omni, LeBaron, Pinto, to name just a few.

And don't even mention the 80s foray into 4 cyl turbo charged cars, especially the Chryslers. Change the head gasket with every second or third oil change.

Last edited by Droid13; 09-17-18 at 08:14 AM.
Sandi_k (09-17-18)
Old 09-17-18, 08:08 AM
Droid13
Racer

only 19k miles - but it's a 2013, and a friend has noted that could be an issue with hybrid battery longevity
'

As long as it was used semi-regularly and not sat unused for really long periods of time, it should be good. Toyota hybrids use old battery tech, but old RELIABLE battery tech. At work we have a laptop from 1999 with the original battery, used just to monitor event feeds from a security system. The battery still works and will run the laptop for 30 to 45 minutes in a power failure.
Old 09-17-18, 12:35 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I made the switch from gen 1 RX at about 240K miles. I did it for better mpg but really for the higher low end torque. At this price point, I think this is the car with the highest instant torque (not including sports cars and such). I like powerful cars with good passing power and traffic merge capability when push comes to shove. In the La La Land, that's very important.

After I bought the car, Acura released its hybrid MDX which may be my next car.

As for the complaints, mine have to do with the RX model itself, not just the hybrid. Bad NAV, poor FM reception, thin seat cushions, poor handling (hybrid is slightly better), worse 4WD system (compared to gen 1), no A/C button, mediocre stereo. poor non-HID headlights, bad front seat belt attachment points that continues to get stepped on by rear passengers.

the hybrid, by the way, is quicker, rides a little better, handles a little better and is a bit quieter than the ICE RX. I get about 23.5 to 25.5 mpg in the hybrid.
Old 09-17-18, 12:56 PM
Rosscoe83
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I got my '15 450h in February of this year and love it. I typically get 26 MPG but can get more (like 27-28) if I really baby it and pi$$ off everyone behind me due to really slow starts, etc. Great cargo room and pretty comfortable for long rides of 6-8 hours. It handles well and is rather quick, especially in sport mode. Cargo room is very good. Heated seats are nice but I don't see any effect on the ventilated mode. I got mine with 50K miles, CPO with 2 years, unlimited mile bumper to bumper warranty. I opted to purchase another 2 year, unlimited miles because of all the bells and whistles. One whistle going on the fritz would cover my cost. Also, since everything is run through the head unit, if that goes it won't be cheap to fix. So basically I have peace of mind for 4 more years and unlimited mileage.
Sandi_k (09-17-18)
Old 09-17-18, 10:07 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Not here. Can't speak for others. Though you're always likely to find someone who regrets and decision on any topic given that everyone isn't exactly identical. To make any decision you need to sort out your priorities and use that to find the right option for you. Polling others about how happy they are with their decisions isn't the way to sort out any decision. Difference people will find different options to be better suited to them for different reasons.

If this is your only or biggest reason for selecting the 450h you will probably be disappointed. Fuel economy is/can be better but not drastically so. If you want significantly better fuel economy you need to look at a different vehicle. Driving style is also a big factor that many overlook. Unless you're willing to adapt you'll see even less of a gain. I can do better than a 350 in our 450. I can also do worse. How I drive it has a significant impact.
Wow. This reads as condescending like mad. I'll try to restrain my annoyance at your tone, but you might want to check your ego on a friendly forum.

I ask for regrets because it's the fastest way to get to people's expectations vs. reality. A shortcut to faulty expectations and wishful thinking. I'm sufficiently aged to know how to parse opinions, thanks very much.

And note I said BETTER fuel mileage. As a 9 year owner of a 3rd Gen RX350 (clearly noted in my signature, so you should give me some credence for having a clue), I am averaging 20-21 mpg. The rating for the RX450h is 28-30. Thus, BETTER. I didn't say SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER (although I might argue semantics with you, that 40-42% better is SIGNIFICANT). Note that there is an implied, oh, you know, TRADEOFF. With things such as comfort. And comfort is indeed a priority, as well as BETTER mileage, and reliability.

And yes, I am well aware that driving style has an impact on mileage. As someone who has 230k miles on a car that's not quite 9 years old, I'd suspect that my style is gentle enough that I get, you know, LONGEVITY.

As Droid noted, anyone who lived through the cars of the 70's and 80's remembers issues of engine strain. As the gearheads used to say, "There's no replacement for displacement." And thus, to your note, it may not be DIRECT or SOLE, but that doesn't mean it's not, you know, RELATED.
Old 09-17-18, 10:14 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MellonC00
I made the switch from gen 1 RX at about 240K miles. I did it for better mpg but really for the higher low end torque. At this price point, I think this is the car with the highest instant torque (not including sports cars and such). I like powerful cars with good passing power and traffic merge capability when push comes to shove. In the La La Land, that's very important.

After I bought the car, Acura released its hybrid MDX which may be my next car.

As for the complaints, mine have to do with the RX model itself, not just the hybrid. Bad NAV, poor FM reception, thin seat cushions, poor handling (hybrid is slightly better), worse 4WD system (compared to gen 1), no A/C button, mediocre stereo. poor non-HID headlights, bad front seat belt attachment points that continues to get stepped on by rear passengers.

the hybrid, by the way, is quicker, rides a little better, handles a little better and is a bit quieter than the ICE RX. I get about 23.5 to 25.5 mpg in the hybrid.
Thanks, Mellon, I appreciate it. My current RX 350 has the sport suspension, and the VDIM included (as does the 3rd Gen hybrid). I didn't order the Nav on my current car, and never regretted the lack. As long as I have a USB port, I'm good. Don't need HID headlights, don't have passengers often enough that the seat belt is a problem, use my phone for Nav, and the 2015 450h has the same AWD system as the current car.

I just want to do my ridiculous commute in some comfort, and with some savings on gas. When I retire, I assume that hybrids will have significantly advanced from here, and I will have a new list of options from which to choose.
Old 09-17-18, 10:16 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rosscoe83
I got my '15 450h in February of this year and love it. I typically get 26 MPG but can get more (like 27-28) if I really baby it and pi$$ off everyone behind me due to really slow starts, etc. Great cargo room and pretty comfortable for long rides of 6-8 hours. It handles well and is rather quick, especially in sport mode. Cargo room is very good. Heated seats are nice but I don't see any effect on the ventilated mode. I got mine with 50K miles, CPO with 2 years, unlimited mile bumper to bumper warranty. I opted to purchase another 2 year, unlimited miles because of all the bells and whistles. One whistle going on the fritz would cover my cost. Also, since everything is run through the head unit, if that goes it won't be cheap to fix. So basically I have peace of mind for 4 more years and unlimited mileage.
Rosscoe, do you feel the frame of the seat heaters through the cushion? I had a loaner a few years back, and I was horrified at how I could feel the frame of the seat heater when I drove. It was very uncomfortable....so not an option I'm super-enthused about....
Old 09-18-18, 05:44 AM
Rosscoe83
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Rosscoe, do you feel the frame of the seat heaters through the cushion? I had a loaner a few years back, and I was horrified at how I could feel the frame of the seat heater when I drove. It was very uncomfortable....so not an option I'm super-enthused about....
Sandi, No, I don't feel the frame of the seat heaters through the cushion. I find the seats to be very comfortable. Like I had said before, I've driven some 6 and 8 hour trips with no problems. The only problem I have is the arthritis in my back. No car can fix that!
The thing that I find odd is that I tend to get my best mileage at speeds of 55-60 mph. Like last night, I filled up at a station right off the highway and headed home. Granted it's only about a 10 mile drive but when I pulled in, the screen read that my mileage was 30 mpg. I find that I get worse in city driving with all the starts and stops. It takes some energy to get that hulk moving. During my normal commute, I get about 26 mpg but I can push it to 27+. My overall average is about 26 and I'm ok with that for a mid-sized SUV. Not quite the 40 I got in my Camry hybrid but twice the vehicle.
I test drove a 350 and liked it but I didn't drive it enough to compare. The only thing I remember is that the transmission shifted nicely and it felt powerful. I was used to the CVT in the 450H because that was what my Camry had. It does take some getting used to; the non-shifting sound does not sound normal to someone with 44 years driving experience.
Old 09-18-18, 09:53 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I sure did. You might want to check out this thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...hreads-14.html
Old 09-18-18, 08:47 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MellonC00
I sure did. You might want to check out this thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...hreads-14.html
Dude! Go to Page 1. I started that thread in 2009.

Quick Reply: Considering a Used Rx450h - Regrets?