Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

GS450H regular battery alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-18, 10:52 AM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
Default GS450H regular battery alternatives

Howdy CL members...

Based on previous posts of people having battery die (the one in the trunk) and need to be replaced. In my case I purchased brand new Panasonic battery 1.5 years ago from a Lexus dealer that started going too low that prevents to start a car. Since i'm still considered brand new guy to hybrid cars, I want to ask you guys if you have any alternative replacement suggestions that I can purchase and sleep well.

Battery still under warranty, Lexus said I need to bring a battery for testing and possibly to be re-charged but this is not giving me security that it won't die soon again.
Old 01-10-18, 11:23 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,998 Likes on 1,419 Posts

The battery needs to be load tested to determine its health. I would not be very confident with the battery if they told me it 'just needs to be re-charged'. To me, it always makes me wonder why the battery needs re-charging...unless of course the battery was sitting for multiple weeks. Nevertheless, I would feel far better if the battery tested bad due to a shorted cell and needed to be replaced, which should be done at no-charge since the battery is less than two years old.

There are alternatives to the specialty starter battery in your car. Probably the best alternative is to replace the special starter battery with an Optima battery and reuse the temperature sensor and abandon the vent hose, but this is also an expensive option and the modification is clearly not recommended by Lexus. The bottom-line is - the car is rather special and requires some rather special (and expensive) parts that need to be replaced during its lifetime...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...-a-gs450h.html

Old 01-10-18, 01:47 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Thank you bclexus... Replacing battery is not an issue, already installed one that I have now. Link you provided is for 2007+ GS model, wonder if brand/models people recommend do fit my 2013 GSH, Websites shows 'do not fit your GS' when I try to look them up, like this one http://a.co/3n9BnUF.
Old 01-12-18, 02:27 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

I thought that I would share my post from about a year back based on the research that I did on the 12V auxiliary battery replacement in our trunk: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post9689499

There is also an Exige battery that works (which includes the hydrogen gas vent connection, if that's a concern for you). Please reference this post by MPAMDPHD who used it for replacement in his 4th Gen hybrid: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post9832717

I believe it's the Exidge FP-AGM35 (Group 35, 650 CCA): https://www.exide.com/sites/default/...AGM_012117.pdf

A few places that I've seen online that sell it (not sure if all have accurate pricing or still carry them - most are "out of stock" it seems):
https://getmybattery.com/products/exide-edge-agm-35
https://www.carid.com/exide/edge-gro...-fp-agm35.html
Amazon Amazon

https://www.caraudionow.com/product/...edge-fp-agm35/

I would personally spring for the Optima Yellowtop Group 35 AGM battery. tape on the temperature sensor, and forget about the hydrogen gas vent. I read from a Toyota forum that there is basically nothing wrong with not having the battery vent in the trunk of our vehicles.

Reference 3GS subforum: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...-a-gs450h.html

All the best. Please do post what you decide to go with and how it worked out. I haven't read any other topics of people having to replace their 12V battery in the 4th Gen hybrid yet.

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 10-15-19 at 10:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
shurik74 (01-12-18)
Old 01-12-18, 05:19 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
I would personally spring for the Optima Yellowtop Group 35 AGM battery. tape on the temperature sensor, and forget about the hydrogen gas vent. I read from a Toyota forum that there is basically nothing wrong with not having the battery vent in the trunk of our vehicles.

~ Im2bz2p345
I have replaced the BMW tagged proprietary trunk-mounted vented battery in my BMW with with an Optima yellow-top non-vented battery without issue.
Old 01-14-18, 10:31 AM
shurik74
Advanced

So, I ended up going to dealership with my original receipt of battery purchase, apparently I got lucky, it was my last day for 2 year full warranty replacement, test confirmed battery is bad and dealer is going to replace it for free! Hope this one will last longer...
Old 01-14-18, 07:40 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
I would feel far better if the battery tested bad due to a shorted cell and needed to be replaced, which should be done at no-charge since the battery is less than two years old.

Originally Posted by shurik74
So, I ended up going to dealership with my original receipt of battery purchase, apparently I got lucky, it was my last day for 2 year full warranty replacement, test confirmed battery is bad and dealer is going to replace it for free! Hope this one will last longer...
Perfect timing! That is exactly what I was hoping would happen...
shurik74 (01-14-18)
Old 02-03-18, 03:55 AM
fillerf
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a Toyota Battery that fits 100% and is 3 amp more
it looks exactly the same but has a Toyota sticker instead of the panasonic sticker
cost 130 dollars in Norway , probably cheaper in US
it should be the
TOYOTA 28800-YZZJA 12V 65Ah-590A BCI-570A EN
It fits European lexus GS 450H 2013-
I am sure there is an similar battery at Toyota US
The Lexus guy just walked into the Toyota department and got one, guess its pretty common battery
It is also used on the GT86 as replacement

Last edited by fillerf; 02-12-18 at 08:34 AM. Reason: added info
Cwang (04-26-19)
Old 05-08-19, 03:13 AM
rimini
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fillerf
There is a Toyota Battery that fits 100% and is 3 amp more
it looks exactly the same but has a Toyota sticker instead of the panasonic sticker
cost 130 dollars in Norway , probably cheaper in US
it should be the
TOYOTA 28800-YZZJA 12V 65Ah-590A BCI-570A EN
It fits European lexus GS 450H 2013-
I am sure there is an similar battery at Toyota US
The Lexus guy just walked into the Toyota department and got one, guess its pretty common battery
It is also used on the GT86 as replacement

Hi, just about to replace my battery in my 2013 GS450H as well.... can you confirm this battery also have ventilation ? Looks like that is the difference from the original Panasonic ? What is the price difference for it in Norway ?

Best from Denmark, Peter
Old 05-09-19, 12:25 PM
fillerf
Rookie

Originally Posted by rimini
Hi, just about to replace my battery in my 2013 GS450H as well.... can you confirm this battery also have ventilation ? Looks like that is the difference from the original Panasonic ? What is the price difference for it in Norway ?

Best from Denmark, Peter
Hi , original Panasonic was close to 4000NOK , paid 1100NOK for the toyota battery. Buying the original is just a waste of money for such a small battery
Lexus service guy said the panasonic battery usually only get replaced by a panasonic battery if battery is on warranty
My original panasonic battery did not have any ventilation connected , neither this Toyota battery. by the way there is good ventilation at the battery
The vent for the trunk is to the left of it . fits like a glove :-)
Old 05-09-19, 12:57 PM
rimini
Driver

Ok thanks so much for the info.... its funny that the Panasonic should have ventilator but its not connected. Cant see any on mine as well, and it looks same like yours - also a 2013 model.

Its 1/4 of the price here too in Denmark, so if you say it fits and dont have heat problems etc, I will definately go for that. Did you change it yourself or the dealer? Anything to take care of you are aware of?

Regards from Denmark, Peter

QUOTE=fillerf;10513688]Hi , original Panasonic was close to 4000NOK , paid 1100NOK for the toyota battery. Buying the original is just a waste of money for such a small battery
Lexus service guy said the panasonic battery usually only get replaced by a panasonic battery if battery is on warranty
My original panasonic battery did not have any ventilation connected , neither this Toyota battery. by the way there is good ventilation at the battery
The vent for the trunk is to the left of it . fits like a glove :-)
[/QUOTE]
Old 05-11-19, 04:54 AM
fillerf
Rookie

I had the battery for 2 years plus now , no issues , its direct fit , no problems to install

The battery is not doing any heavy work anyways

But my car wen bananas with the old battery before starting due to low voltage ,(seems it had 1 defective cell) seems all the self testing and similar is run by the 12 volt battery , before it gets fed by the larger system

It is very easy to replace if You can handle the usual tools , 15 min work at most , but its ok 2 use 30 min too hehe

Disconnect the negative terminal first when remove battery , and then install positive terminal first when installing the battery

It can be a good idea to put a plastic bag/glove or something over the negative connector on the cable when disconnected , cables are a bit stiff , so then You don have to worry about it touching the battery terminal when removing /inserting cables and battery

Should not be any issues other then might some settings goes back to default on the head unit

I replaced it outside the lexus store :-) and gave the service guy the old battery in return since there is most likely a Japanese guy inside it , with the cost i mind...

lykke til
/ola
rimini (05-11-19)
Old 05-11-19, 05:01 AM
rimini
Driver

Ok thanks mate I will proceed ....
Old 07-14-19, 05:09 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,450 Posts

The lowest price I have found online for the OEM battery shipped to my door is:
https://parts.iralexusofmanchester.com

Part number:

$335 shipped to my door.
Old 07-14-19, 08:56 AM
fillerf
Rookie

Originally Posted by peasodos
The lowest price I have found online for the OEM battery shipped to my door is:
https://parts.iralexusofmanchester.com

Part number:

$335 shipped to my door.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Half the cost compared the cost here in Norway , but still too much for a small battery...

Quick Reply: GS450H regular battery alternatives