Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

Acoustic (double-pane) front window glass ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-16, 02:24 PM
ratobuza
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Acoustic (double-pane) front window glass ?

Hi folks

Got myself a CPO 2013 GSh with tech package and all individual options I'm aware about a few months ago- love the car, just wondering if anyone could confirm that they had the double pane glass front windows factory installed, as my ride doesn't have them and like I said I have all the extras on it (definitely the cold weather package referenced in some threads that bring up double pane glass). A bit confused at this point...

Cheers
Old 11-11-16, 08:15 AM
rjk
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's part of the cold weather package. More info about options is available in this sticky thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html
Old 11-11-16, 11:08 AM
ratobuza
Rookie

Originally Posted by rjk
That's part of the cold weather package. More info about options is available in this sticky thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html
Thanks for the link Rjk - very strange, as I have the heated/coolled seats and heated steering wheel but NOT the dual-pane front windows, which in my understanding help with wind noise reduction and better thermal insulation - both make perfect sense. Maybe that's a US-only option/trim ? I live in Canada - if "cold weather" package has dual-pane glass in US but not Canada then Lexus folks need to seriously attend some geography classes LOL. I looked over the 2013 GS brochure and can't find notice of dual pane glass...just water-repellent front glass
Old 11-12-16, 04:50 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Do you have a pic? If you roll down the window hallway and take a pic of the top edge of the glass it'll look like two pieces glued together.
The following users liked this post:
02REX (04-27-19)
Old 11-12-16, 12:50 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 877 Likes on 661 Posts

First year of the generation 2013 were missing a couple of items that appeared
in the sophomore year 2014's. Blind Spot Monitor was new for '13 but did not
have Rear Cross Traffic until '14 for example. Power folding and Automatic
folding when locked was also new in 2014.
I did not know about the laminate glass change, thanks for pointing it out!
Old 11-12-16, 03:54 PM
ratobuza
Rookie

Originally Posted by MustangSal
Do you have a pic? If you roll down the window hallway and take a pic of the top edge of the glass it'll look like two pieces glued together.
Definitely mine are single pane from the factory and I have all possible options except LKA - I actually took the car to the dealer for wind noise on driver side and eventually they replaced the driver window with dual-pane. I then requested a symmetrical fix so they ordered the passenger window too. The dual-pane glass definitely isolates wind/road noise significantly better than the original single pane.

I find strange though (and other threads have the same dilemma) the inconsistencies of equipment among same generation models...some have this but not that etc
Old 11-13-16, 07:25 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

That is definitely odd.
Old 11-14-16, 01:02 PM
tejanp
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Very odd because my 2013 has it. May be it is part of the Luxury package.
Old 11-15-16, 03:59 AM
ratobuza
Rookie

Originally Posted by tejanp
Very odd because my 2013 has it. May be it is part of the Luxury package.
Tejanp : I have the luxury package with heated rear seats and manual rear sunshades, ML audio, dynamic cruise, LED headlamps, cold package (headlamp washers, wiper heater), etc. And yet my car doesn't have the double pane front windows. Maybe Lexus started putting these double pane front windows in the cold package (or whatever package, as now I'm confused) based on production date, my car is on the road since Nov-2012 - this is the only thing that might make sense. What year/month was your GS on the road ?
Old 11-15-16, 09:01 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Car makers make changes all the time with their models - sometimes eliminating standard equipment or options or adding standard equipment or options...and sometimes modifying or altering materials or the way the vehicle is built. This could happen at anytime during the production period.
Old 11-15-16, 09:58 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

My wife's 2013 GS-h luxury package has double-pane windows. I think they all come like that even base models...
Old 11-16-16, 07:40 AM
Patrick4GS
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a Canadian 2013 GS with cold weather package. Just checked the front windows and they are single pane....

Last edited by Patrick4GS; 11-16-16 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Year
Old 11-16-16, 05:57 PM
ratobuza
Rookie

Originally Posted by Patrick4GS
I have a Canadian 2013 GS with cold weather package. Just checked the front windows and they are single pane....
Thanks for confirming this Patrick - so I'm not alone...which maybe points to Canadian models NOT having dual--pane glass with cold package...Like I said above maybe Lexus confused Canada with Mexico on the weather map Lol

No issues with wind noise on yours? Mine was pretty bad above 80-90km/h and now very quiet with dual-pane glass
Old 11-16-16, 06:04 PM
ratobuza
Rookie

Originally Posted by bclexus
Car makers make changes all the time with their models - sometimes eliminating standard equipment or options or adding standard equipment or options...and sometimes modifying or altering materials or the way the vehicle is built. This could happen at anytime during the production period.
I hear you BCLexus - to me though this sounds more like a regional problem (i.e. wrong equipment for this region)- or maybe design problem that Lexus acknowledged at some point from customer's complaints and decided to implement as standard from a later date - I read on the "wind noise" GS threads that all 2014+ models have now dual-pane as standard
Old 11-18-16, 06:18 AM
Patrick4GS
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't notice any wind noise on mine but then again this is the quietest car I have ever owned.

Quick Reply: Acoustic (double-pane) front window glass ?