Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

RXh Failed Calif Smog Check

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 05:17 PM
GSRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RXh Failed Calif Smog Check

California now runs hybrids through the smog check system. Ours failed, the print out said its O2 sensors were not ready. There are no check engine lights on. The car was at operating temperature but had to wait 15 minutes for the bay. As soon as it failed the wife called me and I talked to the owner/technician and explained that the O2 sensors had to come up to temperature and as a hybrid the engine will shut off. The owner/technician said it was warm enough and said the check engine lights may have been reset or components changed. I did not do that.

Cost to fix: No firm estimate, owner/technician said maybe $200 plus. He said there would be a diagnosis fee. This is on top of the fee that was paid for the failed smog check.

The wife paid for the smog check and drove out.

Stats- 2007 RX 400h 103k miles, all work done, belts changed, new plugs, fluids, 2 inverters and filters.

My OBDII reader shows O2 voltages of 0.115 and 0.545 at idle. When the gas engine is shut off the system reads "OPEN LOOP Temperature too low." While the car is driving along it reads. "Closed Loop using O2 sensor reading.". When I punch it it reads. "OPEN LOOP due to engine load"

I spent about half an hour waiting for an appointment for the California Smog Check Referee before I had to drop off.

BTW, I was a member of this forum from 2001 but have since moved on from my Prodigy email address so I can't get a password reset.

Edit to add- There is another thread on this topic that hopefully properly addresses the issue.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...emissions.html

Last edited by GSRX; 08-05-15 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Another thread on identical issue with resolution.
Old 08-06-15, 06:44 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

GSRX your edit to add is what seems to have fixed the issue with the gentleman that posted. He called lexus corporate and is getting reimbursed since the update in software was a smog failing issue. I have a 2008 and the software update happened late in 2007 so hopefully mine already had update. He paid $140 for the update by the way.
Old 08-06-15, 09:20 AM
GSRX
Driver School Candidate

I've made an appointment with my local dealer for Tuesday, 11 August and just placed a call to corporate. The National phone representative asked that I call back after I receive further information from the local dealership.
Old 08-08-15, 07:59 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

please give us updated feedback on your results....this is a new thing for us hybrid owners.
Old 08-10-15, 04:09 PM
GSRX
Driver School Candidate

I've run my OBDII programs on the RXh and the system says its vapor recovery system and the O2 system self check has not passed.

The vapor collector system was setting up fault codes so it was replaced about 22 thousand miles ago. The codes were cleared out then. I cannot believe that the self check as not passed since.

I may cancel my appointment for this week and just run the car hard for the day instead and then check it out again.

No point in just forking over money to the dealership for no reason. If you read the thread I linked to carefully the update did nothing for the issue. It was just a way for the dealership to get some money and that is why Lexus National agreed after a few days to refund the money. It was not the fix.

It may be that the wife has driven the RXh very gingerly for the past 22 thousand miles and as a result the O2 self check has not been set. Or no RXh will ever pass the California Emissions testing program.

I hate being a paying systems tester.
Old 08-10-15, 06:58 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Keep us updated....I agree unless there is a real issue, Lexus should pick the tab up. Are there any RX400h owners that have had a successful smog in California?
Old 08-10-15, 07:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Well that's lame. One of the reason (although very minor) why I bought a hybrid was to avoid smog checks. Next thing you know, you'll charge us hybrid tax to make up for using less gasoline.
Old 08-11-15, 06:00 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Welcome to the land of fruits and la la land.....Heck Jerry Brown just pardoned the Chowchilla kidnapper of school children buried under ground. That is the leadership both in the executive and legislature.
Old 08-11-15, 05:17 PM
GSRX
Driver School Candidate

@GSteg- I agree. One of the reasons for buying the hybrid was the smog certification issue. I bought a 2005 Camry new for the kids when they entered an internship in downtown Los Angeles. I did not want a beater car failing at 11 at night. I had it smog certified two years ago for the first time because I transferred the title to my daughter. Turns out that transfers to your kids do not require smog testing. The Camry has the 2.4 liter gas engine. No batteries, not natural gas, not plug in and the Republic of California goes after our RXhs? Please. BTW, the Camry had 0.0 PPM for HC and CO.

@ALL- Update on the firmware update. I spent 3.5 hours down at my local Lexus dealer. The initial estimate was $55 for diagnosis and update if necessary. Be out in an hour. At 3 hours they wanted the RXh overnight to set the system checks and that is why it would be $135. I told them I will drive the RXh myself and hopefully the system checks will pass. It was still $135 to get out the door.

On the way home I was monitoring the OBDII and the O2 system passed. The gas tank is at a half and the evap recovery system test needs an overnight soak. It should pass. I will not make a call to Lexus Corporate until I get my smog certificate.

Has anyone with an RXh passed their smog test without the new firmware? If you have not, I suggest that you go to a place that will allow you to retest for the same fee.

Last edited by GSRX; 08-11-15 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-14-15, 11:00 AM
GSRX
Driver School Candidate

Total charge at the local dealership was $139.70. for firmware that works.

I decided that it was not environmentally correct to simply drive the car around needlessly to allow the readiness bits to set to the pass condition so I just put the car back in service. After a day my OBDII app said it was good to go and so I took it in again for a smog check yesterday and It passed.

I put in a call today to Lexus Corporate explaining what I experienced and my take on this situation. I did not mention the wasted hours. I also failed to mention that I had expected a little more quality control from Lexus. I realize that when the car was built and when the firmware updates came out the vehicle did not have to pass any smog tests, but the firmware should have been ready for it.

I hope my experience will help other RXh owners.

* I purchased a ELM327 chipset so that I could Bluetooth to my tablet. I bought Dash Commander to read the readiness codes. Having that rig ready to go saved me from having to leave the car overnight and renting a loaner; a silly situation when I am taking care of 5 cars for 2 drivers.

------------
2007 RXh
2009 GSh
Taking care of an IS, a Camry and an Odyssey.
Old 08-17-15, 08:22 PM
maximizese
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Well that's lame. One of the reason (although very minor) why I bought a hybrid was to avoid smog checks. Next thing you know, you'll charge us hybrid tax to make up for using less gasoline.
I know how you feel. I bought a used 01 VW Golf TDI back in 04 in Az and loved how it was smog exempt in Ca. After Schwarzeneggar restored and raised car registrations fees (after promising to lower fees while campaigning), someone had the idea to smog diesel passenger cars too. Every two years, I have to take my TDI to have the OBDII hooked up and have them do a visual inspection that my EGR, catalytic convertor, and CCV are present. It costs me $70 and takes the technician 5 minutes to do (because there's really nothing to do…no sniff test or anything).

Now I'm going to have to get my wife's Rx400h smogged too. I don't mind spending the money, but it's just a waste of my time.
Old 08-18-15, 09:29 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Yup we are in the land of progressives and fruitcakes, with a bullet train to nowhere....could use a few good dams for water, but hey bullet train is more important.
Old 08-18-15, 01:18 PM
GSRX
Driver School Candidate

@maximizese- Hope your SO's RXh passes it's California smog check. I would suggest that any owner of a RX hybrid that needs a smog check take it to a location where a retest is free. Nothing worse than going into a smog test location, failing, having to take it to the dealership for programming and then having to pay for the test again. Actually there is but lets keep on topic.

Edit to add-

Lexus corporate has denied my request for reimbursement. I told them that the software as previously installed prevented the car from passing the smog test in California. They said its my problem.

I brought up the case on this forum and the young lady threw my use of case by case basis back to me. So not in my case. Hopefully in yours maximizese.

I told them I was very disappointed that they would not consider mitigating their deficiency in presenting a car with the proper programming. I told them if it were a case of something wearing out I could understand that. I would have gladly paid for an oxygen sensor that is subject to high temperatures but in this case its programming. Lexus has no plans on any owner assistance campaign at this time. They may in the future. They told me to save my receipt.

Last edited by GSRX; 08-18-15 at 02:48 PM. Reason: NO HELP FROM CORPORATE
Old 08-20-15, 06:18 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

I would contact the State Air Resources board and ask them how Lexus certified the vehicle to pass California smog laws. If it was approved and passed when the 2006 was produced than how come it wont pass now without a software change. I would then contact the State Attorney general and file a complaint that the car was sold to pass emissions in the State of California and failed on its first test because of improper software.
Old 08-27-15, 06:59 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

update: on the other lexus site corporate has changed their tune and now made this a campaign and you should be reimbursed...Thanks to all members that helped direct the proper solution.

Quick Reply: RXh Failed Calif Smog Check