Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2015 up NX300H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX300H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other first generation NX models.

Hybrid or Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-15, 03:57 PM
Lolasmom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid or Gas?

I've placed an order for an NX 300H. I'm now hearing that the hybrid is significantly slow in acceleration. My dealer did not have one to test drive, but I loved the 200t.
I'm concerned that I may be making the wrong choice. Can anyone here shed any light on this for me before mine comes in? Thanks!
Old 04-18-15, 04:58 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

If you can't get your hands on a 300h for a test drive, test drive an ES 300h to give you a feeler on the powertrain smoothness, power, and overall behavior. The NX will be just a touch slower due to its extra weight but similar in every other powertrain aspect.

Personally, I love the Toyota/Lexus hybrid powertrains for its torquey smoothness and library quiet operation on EV mode. If the F Sport package was offered on the 300h, it's what I'd have in my driveway.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-18-15 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-18-15, 08:52 PM
dalton
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lolasmom
I've placed an order for an NX 300H. I'm now hearing that the hybrid is significantly slow in acceleration. My dealer did not have one to test drive, but I loved the 200t.
I'm concerned that I may be making the wrong choice. Can anyone here shed any light on this for me before mine comes in? Thanks!
Without hesitation. My 300h is my second Lexus hybrid (first was the HS). The NX hybrid handles great and there is plenty of power (for me). I live in Southern California and spend a lot of time on freeways, but I will be taking it up to Big Bear this winter (I got the AWD).

I attended the "Beyond Utility" Lexus NX drive event where we drove the Q5, X3, and GLK to compare. The turbo was fun, especially with the twin scroll, but the AWD hybrid is what sold me. Some decent torque and whisper quiet around the parking garages and lots. The mileage is great too. I've been averaging 33.1mpg.

Unless you're planning to race off the line at every stop light, I would recommend the 300h. It's smooth, quiet and has enough power for all of my daily uses. I thought about the 200t F Sport as well (because the same reason you sound like your considering it), but once I drove it off the lot, any potential regrets where put to bed.

But, either way, it's a great small lux CUV. You'll love it.
Old 04-19-15, 08:03 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

It really depends on how you intend to use it, and what your expectations are. If your commute is mostly highway (and you aren't stuck in stop and go congestion) the advantage of the hybrid will be diminished since highway speed is where the turbo is at its most efficient. For example I can get 28-30 mpg in my ten year old Passat turbo on my commute if I want to because it's long and 80% highway.

I'd second the idea of trying out an es300h if you can, it'll be a bit faster than the NX but pretty close. I thought it was faster off the line than the turbo, but obviously has much less acceleration when you're already at speed.
Old 04-19-15, 08:49 AM
Lexinator
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sg021
It really depends on how you intend to use it, and what your expectations are. If your commute is mostly highway (and you aren't stuck in stop and go congestion) the advantage of the hybrid will be diminished since highway speed is where the turbo is at its most efficient. For example I can get 28-30 mpg in my ten year old Passat turbo on my commute if I want to because it's long and 80% highway.

I'd second the idea of trying out an es300h if you can, it'll be a bit faster than the NX but pretty close. I thought it was faster off the line than the turbo, but obviously has much less acceleration when you're already at speed.
I have the 300h and love it. I have driven stop and go, city and long highway stretch and have averaged over 35 mpg. If I need acceleration (for tricky freeway entrance, for example), I put it in sport. I do find that my 300h is noticeably sluggish going up steep hill from a complete stop (duh), but haven't driven enough in this situation to see if sport mode makes much of a difference. I am assuming turbo would do a lot better. I agree with all above that you should really try to drive
At least the the es300h before purchasing. At the end of the day, the correct answer is what your preferences are.
Old 04-19-15, 06:34 PM
Lolasmom
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the welcome to the forum and all your thoughtful replies!
I will try to test drive an ES hybrid this week. That's a great suggestion. At my dealership, the only hybrid NX that they currently have is being driven by the owner of this, and many other dealerships. He really should have one around for customers to try out!

From what I've read here, I am still leaning toward the hybrid. Most of my driving is around town with some highway. I'm not a hot-rodder by any means, but would be very dissatisfied if I found that I could not safely enter the highway due to lack of acceleration. It doesn't sound like that will be the case. I live outside of Chicago, so, not too many steep hills I'll have to climb!

Thanks again, I'm anxiously awaiting my Eminent White with the 2-tone cream/dark umber interior. Luxury package and getting the cordless charger which should be cool, too!
Great forum!
Lin

Last edited by Lolasmom; 04-19-15 at 06:36 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something
Old 04-19-15, 07:32 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thank you all for the welcome to the forum and all your thoughtful replies!
I will try to test drive an ES hybrid this week. That's a great suggestion. At my dealership, the only hybrid NX that they currently have is being driven by the owner of this, and many other dealerships. He really should have one around for customers to try out!

From what I've read here, I am still leaning toward the hybrid. Most of my driving is around town with some highway. I'm not a hot-rodder by any means, but would be very dissatisfied if I found that I could not safely enter the highway due to lack of acceleration. It doesn't sound like that will be the case. I live outside of Chicago, so, not too many steep hills I'll have to climb!

Thanks again, I'm anxiously awaiting my Eminent White with the 2-tone cream/dark umber interior. Luxury package and getting the cordless charger which should be cool, too!
Great forum!
Lin
You're making the right choice to stick with the hybrid based on your further feedback. I.e, power and F Sport looks is not your priority. Seal the deal in your mind by test driving the ESh.

I loved my (lower powered) CT for my 90% city driving beating the EPA ratings (averaged around 50 mpg). Owners of the NX 300h are also reporting similar improvements over EPA where 40 mpg city is attainable!

When are you expecting your h ?
Old 04-19-15, 08:11 PM
Lolasmom
Driver School Candidate

According to the dealer, they only receive 1 hybrid every 60 days or so! The sales manager sent me specs on the next 2 that he saw in the pipeline, obsidian or nebula pearl. I returned to see the nebula in person, and met again with my salesman. While we were talking, another salesman came up with a spec sheet for the white one coming in within 3 weeks. That was 2 weeks ago! I haven't heard any updates, but possibly any day? Hopefully!

Btw, I knew I didn't want the black, and I wasn't sure what was "Nebula gray". Glad I went back to check it out, because what I thought was the NB was actually Atomic Silver! The NB is too dark for my taste, but love both of the silvers and my first choice, the white.

I currently have a 2000 RX 300, Millennium green. Just hitting 125,000, looks like new. Will be hanging on to that vehicle to use for dog transport and other dirty jobs.
Old 04-19-15, 08:25 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I dont think any modern lexus has a problem getting on the highway. The NX300h should be no problem.

I think TFL did a 0-60 challenge when comparing the two
200T: 8.9ish
300H:9.2ish

1 mile above the sea.

So the difference isnt too much. they did achieve a better number on the 200t but it was due to doing a brake/accelerator combo which helped reduce the time by about 1.7 seconds. But again who does that in real life lol.

You should be fine with either vehicle.
Old 04-19-15, 08:31 PM
Lolasmom
Driver School Candidate

In the Chicago area, we always pay the highest prices for gasoline. When someone asks me why I want a Hybrid, I tell them that I want to do my little part for the environment. Would love to be less dependent on oil, and especially make fewer stops at the gas station!
I looked at, and briefly considered, a Tesla. That would be great to NEVER have to buy gas! But, the 200 mile range is very impractical! Besides, I love Lexus!
Old 04-20-15, 06:53 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I dont think any modern lexus has a problem getting on the highway. The NX300h should be no problem.

I think TFL did a 0-60 challenge when comparing the two
200T: 8.9ish
300H:9.2ish

1 mile above the sea.

So the difference isnt too much. they did achieve a better number on the 200t but it was due to doing a brake/accelerator combo which helped reduce the time by about 1.7 seconds. But again who does that in real life lol.

You should be fine with either vehicle.
The hybrid should have no problem merging in traffic, passing etc. When Consumer Reports tested the ES350 and ES300h their 0-60 times were 6.7 and 8.2 seconds respectively so there is a gap between the two in this performance measure.
Old 04-20-15, 07:17 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I looked at, and briefly considered, a Tesla. That would be great to NEVER have to buy gas! But, the 200 mile range is very impractical! Besides, I love Lexus!
What Tesla were you looking at that only gave you a 200 mile range? The P85 will give you a 270-280 mile range, and the car will help route you so you hit superchargers along your way. The P70 is 240 miles. So I think you're underestimating.

Even if it was a little more impractical, I'd support them simply because they are a US company, and the quality of engineering involved.

I test drove a P85S last summer at my local cars n coffee, it was a fantastic car to drive.

I'm not green in any matter, so the engineering alone perks my interest. heck, the plate on my Camaro makes fun of my mpg haha
Old 04-20-15, 05:52 PM
Phredcat
Driver School Candidate

For what it's worth, I've been driving my 300h since early March, and haven't had any acceleration issues (not a "hot rodder" either). Most of my driving is in the suburban to city commuter traffic in/around Washington, DC (one of the top worst commuting regions in the country and well-deserved). Took a 1,000 mile round trip to visit family in Asheville earlier this month requiring significant highway driving on I-81 w/me and the 18-wheelers, and the NX handled just fine, including climbing the highway through Sam's Pass on I-26.

No regrets.

You may have to wait, however, for your dealer's stock. My dealer was telling me (when the NX first came out late last year) that for every 10 or more 200T models they received, they might receive one 300h. I wanted the Matador Red Mica, and ended up having to wait a little longer before the dealer received their first 300h in red (very worth the wait).
Old 04-20-15, 06:15 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Phredcat
For what it's worth, I've been driving my 300h since early March, and haven't had any acceleration issues (not a "hot rodder" either). Most of my driving is in the suburban to city commuter traffic in/around Washington, DC (one of the top worst commuting regions in the country and well-deserved). Took a 1,000 mile round trip to visit family in Asheville earlier this month requiring significant highway driving on I-81 w/me and the 18-wheelers, and the NX handled just fine, including climbing the highway through Sam's Pass on I-26.

No regrets.

You may have to wait, however, for your dealer's stock. My dealer was telling me (when the NX first came out late last year) that for every 10 or more 200T models they received, they might receive one 300h. I wanted the Matador Red Mica, and ended up having to wait a little longer before the dealer received their first 300h in red (very worth the wait).
Correct on the 10 to 1 ratio. Like Canada, the US' NX allocation is such that 90% are 200t and 10% 300h.

Glad you're a satisfied h customer!
Old 04-20-15, 06:23 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
What Tesla were you looking at that only gave you a 200 mile range? The P85 will give you a 270-280 mile range, and the car will help route you so you hit superchargers along your way. The P70 is 240 miles. So I think you're underestimating.

Even if it was a little more impractical, I'd support them simply because they are a US company, and the quality of engineering involved.

I test drove a P85S last summer at my local cars n coffee, it was a fantastic car to drive.

I'm not green in any matter, so the engineering alone perks my interest. heck, the plate on my Camaro makes fun of my mpg haha
Up until a couple weeks ago the base model was the 60, which had a 208 mile EPA range. That's probably what she was referring to, but like you said the lowest range you can currently buy is 240 miles on the 70D.

I was originally quite skeptical of the company, but as I learned more about them and got to try the car out I was eventually converted into a big fan. For someone with a long commute, having an option like Tesla is a godsend. I want to wait for all the Model X details to drop, as some of them will affect the S, but it is really hard to hold off after taking a P85D out and getting the wife's blessing for a non-P version.

Quick Reply: Hybrid or Gas?