Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

2015 RX450h Brake Actuator

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-17, 05:04 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
Mine barks, has been doing so for a couple years now, but was out of warranty and when I saw the estimate (as others have stated actuator + booster), my response to the service manager was "I love seals!". I was told the two parts are changed together as an automatic process, like filter with the oil.

Happens mostly with quite firm braking, or cold weather (or some combination of the two). I can make it bark while at a standstill if I press down hard on the pedal. You mention squeeks and chirps too, mine is pure bark. And the noise is not in the cabin, I would describe the noise source as lower engine bay.
Mine is definitely a bark. We're talking about the same thing I'm almost certain. Because mine also occurs with cold weather. Have you tried flushing the fluid with fresh? I read a TSB on older RXes where the fluid change was recommended for a similar bark. I wonder if water in the brake line promotes this noise.

The noise is not the end of the world but sure is annoying as hell. Especially since it's the braking system.
Old 12-06-17, 08:49 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
Have you tried flushing the fluid with fresh?
No, I've been considering it because it is due. L recommends brake fluid change every 2 years, and it's been at least that long since I last had it done. But likely will wait until spring.
Old 12-07-17, 07:35 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Please, be warned.
You can NOT do brake fluid flush on those cars without Techstream software and scanner. Or, it's Toyota compatible analog. You will bust brake actuator module. Valves - and many of them - in brake actuator MUST be moved during bleeding peocedure and that is done by Techstream scanner ONLY. I could post flush procedure here but it's rather LONG.
I posted some of it, just FYI.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 RX450h Brake Actuator-capture.png   2015 RX450h Brake Actuator-capture1.png  

Last edited by ukrkoz; 12-07-17 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-12-17, 08:01 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

One alternative to highly costly parts when out of warranty is used parts from a salvage yard. Some element of risk, but if you're careful and work things out up front with the salvage yard, you can save a ton of money and get good OEM parts.
Old 12-18-17, 04:31 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
One alternative to highly costly parts when out of warranty is used parts from a salvage yard. Some element of risk, but if you're careful and work things out up front with the salvage yard, you can save a ton of money and get good OEM parts.
Thanks. Yeah, I thought of this but since this seems to be a rather common (likely design) defect. There's no satisfaction in believing that the junkyard unit would be silent or otherwise reliablly quiet for a decent enough time period to make this labor worth it. I wonder if there is a model revision reflecting a revised unit (perhaps in a newer model year) that would be fully compatible but not prone to the same squeaking.
Old 10-09-18, 02:36 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I bought a 2010 RX450h two years ago, the dealer gave me a 2-year warranty. I first noticed the brake "barking" about a year ago, but recently it seems that I can get it to bark about one time out of twenty brake presses during rain.

I told the local Lexus dealer about it, but they responded with a "yes, some cars do that, but the parts are very expensive and will probably do the same thing in the future."

I couldn't believe that a well-engineered car like the Lexus would do such a thing, and that management wouldn't care. Last week I recorded the barking sound and sent it to the Service Advisor. He played it for the brake guy who concluded it was the actuator. I was told it would be a ~$3K repair but he eventually concluded that it was covered under the warranty. Thank goodness, and my thanks to the Service Advisor.

If it had not been covered I would assume I could have gotten it fixed at an independent service shop using salvage parts for probably $1K. Still, this is a design defect. Lexi shouldn't bark. Ever.

EDIT: I added the link to the mp3 demonstrating the barking noise. Best example at about 1:48.

http://www.inventics.com/2010RX450hBrakeBarking.mp3

Last edited by riredale; 10-14-18 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-03-19, 07:28 AM
Ratus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue with the barking / sealion noise under braking intermittently.

I have only just bought the car, an 2016 RX450 H F Sport model. I have had an RX for the last 13 years and loved my 1 car over this time. But, the noise from my new car is very annoying and frustrating, as I did not hear this on the test drive in another RX of the same type.

It has been back to two different Lexus dealerships. The first dealership told me it is normal, which on a car of this value and supposed luxury I do not accept. Took it to the dealership where I bought it and they were much more accommodating and supportive. They cleared the brake lines a couple of times and replaced the brake actuator and for 2 days it was pure silence. Beautiful I thought! Then this morning, we are back to square 1 with the issue returning and now not also only under braking but, when you just depress the brake pedal to start the car. Very very frustrated. Thankfully still in warranty but, my concern is, they are going to tell me there is nothing more they can do and......................wait for it......................it is normal on this 60,000 pound + car!!!!!!

Any thoughts?
Old 05-29-19, 06:22 AM
NewGS22
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the only thread that I've found that pretty much exactly represents the noise that I'm hearing. In February I bought a 2015 GS F Sport and just recently in the mornings I've noticed that when I depress the brake pedal I get that barking/squeaking sound. In the warm afternoons it doesn't seem to want to make the sound. It also doesn't make the sound when slowing down only after pressing the pedal all the way at a stop (or almost all the way) and letting off the brake at normal speed(letting off slowly will not make the sound).

This car is a certified preowned with an additional extended warranty of 3 years(so I'm covered until 2024). Does this noise fall under the extended? I am out of my basic warranty (4 yrs/50,000).
Old 05-29-19, 08:35 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratus
I have the same issue with the barking / sealion noise under braking intermittently.

I have only just bought the car, an 2016 RX450 H F Sport model. I have had an RX for the last 13 years and loved my 1 car over this time. But, the noise from my new car is very annoying and frustrating, as I did not hear this on the test drive in another RX of the same type.

It has been back to two different Lexus dealerships. The first dealership told me it is normal, which on a car of this value and supposed luxury I do not accept. Took it to the dealership where I bought it and they were much more accommodating and supportive. They cleared the brake lines a couple of times and replaced the brake actuator and for 2 days it was pure silence. Beautiful I thought! Then this morning, we are back to square 1 with the issue returning and now not also only under braking but, when you just depress the brake pedal to start the car. Very very frustrated. Thankfully still in warranty but, my concern is, they are going to tell me there is nothing more they can do and......................wait for it......................it is normal on this 60,000 pound + car!!!!!!

Any thoughts?
I have the same issue. I really hate it. it's out of warranty now. Along with the rear trailing arm bushing that squeak every time you go over a bump, the car is aging super fast. It's like getting pre-mature wrinkles on your face even though the rest of the body is young....... so to speak.
Old 05-30-19, 08:16 AM
Rosscoe83
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
I have the same issue. I really hate it. it's out of warranty now. Along with the rear trailing arm bushing that squeak every time you go over a bump, the car is aging super fast. It's like getting pre-mature wrinkles on your face even though the rest of the body is young....... so to speak.
I had this squeak and when I took it in (under warranty) I believe they "lubed" the bushing. This squeak went away but I don't know how long the lube will last.
Old 05-30-19, 09:58 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Its kind of (sadly) amazing how long this issue has been ******* Lexus. Mine's a barker too. Through many, many years, multiple gens and different models they seem helpless to permanently solve the issue, like the potential noise is a necessary capitulation of some kind of critical design choice they just won't change.
Old 06-03-19, 04:43 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

While I generally scorn lawyers as blood-sucking leeches (my sister is one, Bless her), I too am amazed that a premium expensive auto manufacturer is willing to allow this black mark to remain on their products. I can picture a conversation over at the Mercedes dealership: "Oh, yeah, I thought about a Lexus, but my friend's RX barks like a seal every time he touches the brakes, and the dealer wants three grand to fix it, with no promise it will go away.

Perhaps some sort of legal action will get Corporate's attention. It is clearly a design defect.

Last edited by kitlz; 06-03-19 at 05:43 PM. Reason: language
Old 01-26-21, 02:57 PM
darpablo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 RX450h Brake Actuator Failure

Having the same issue. I actually brought my vehicle in for the hybrid battery failure warning on the dash, they said the battery was okay and that they pulled up the failure on the brake actuator. Our local dealer slapped me with a $4,500.00 repair estimate. I have been reading that this is common in the hybrids with same diagnostic code C1391, leak in the actuator. I believe in reference to PART# 4405048320. Anyone have info on this issue? Or any updated recall for this part or issue? My poor "HyBee" has been parked at my mom's house since summer and she really wants to feel the asphalt under her again. I refuse to believe that Lexus will leave this issue hanging. It's a huge repair bill for an average Jane, especially during this pandemic time. Advance thank you for any responses.
Old 01-27-21, 08:54 PM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by darpablo
Having the same issue. I actually brought my vehicle in for the hybrid battery failure warning on the dash, they said the battery was okay and that they pulled up the failure on the brake actuator. Our local dealer slapped me with a $4,500.00 repair estimate. I have been reading that this is common in the hybrids with same diagnostic code C1391, leak in the actuator. I believe in reference to PART# 4405048320. Anyone have info on this issue? Or any updated recall for this part or issue? My poor "HyBee" has been parked at my mom's house since summer and she really wants to feel the asphalt under her again. I refuse to believe that Lexus will leave this issue hanging. It's a huge repair bill for an average Jane, especially during this pandemic time. Advance thank you for any responses.
Is this repair something that only a dealer can perform?
Old 02-11-21, 08:44 AM
Lead Lap

Received 752 Likes on 505 Posts

It’s not hard to replace. Just takes time to bleed the system. The part can be brought second hand at wreckers but they might not last long well.

Quick Reply: 2015 RX450h Brake Actuator