Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

My car makes a funny sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-18, 07:20 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to bring up an old post...but!!!!
I too am having this same issue. It sounds like the brakes are clicking (as if they are moving in the caliper, which they should a little).
In trying to solve this myself while I was driving I put my vehicle in Neutral while coming to a stop where I know I would normally get the clicking noise.
No clicking while the car was in neutral. I repeated this several times. Same results, the clicking only happens when the transmission is engaged.
So it definitely isn't the brakes. I am going to look at this axle nut! I really think this is it!

And any update on the clicking? Has it come back?
Old 07-09-22, 06:31 PM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Glad I found this old post, I started having this weird sound, sounds like a single light beep of a horn upon slightly harder than normal stopping. Also a slight single click upon slightly harder acceleration.
Got out my electric impact driver, tightened the axle nut by just about 1-2mm, sound is gone, been a week already.
Something in the axle , spindle, steering, suspension components on that side was causing the noise but just that slight tightening seems to of put it right again.
Old 07-10-22, 06:05 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,104 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by Roscol
Glad I found this old post, I started having this weird sound, sounds like a single light beep of a horn upon slightly harder than normal stopping. Also a slight single click upon slightly harder acceleration.
Got out my electric impact driver, tightened the axle nut by just about 1-2mm, sound is gone, been a week already.
Something in the axle , spindle, steering, suspension components on that side was causing the noise but just that slight tightening seems to of put it right again.
I would humbly suggest not to do this. The axle nut is supposed to be torques to a specific value [+/- tolerance is specified]. The wheel has a side to side play, termed as "run-off". This play also is specified in specs. On top of this there is a run-off specified for the disc (brake). All these play a part in brake disc push back.

To do it right, please get the spec for the axle nut and set it right. Then trace the source of sound, which can be the retainer springs for the disc pad [example].

Salim
The following users liked this post:
ThreeCW (07-10-22)