Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Rattler Taming

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-13, 01:07 PM
CJHYBRID
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattler Taming

Lexi is one of the quietest cars I have ever owned but this silky smooth ride means that all other sounds are highly pronounced and it has taken me over three weeks to find most but not all.

1). Tail gate

Two strips of thin draught excluder (self adhesive neoprine) cut and stuck either side of V shaped lock.

Either side of the tailgate about half way up there are protruding plastic circular pieces that grip the frame when closed. It rattles if there is a gap.Remedy sticky backed felt pads.

2) Trunk

Rear Cubby

Take the rear tray out and fit draught excluder round the edges where it fits make sure plastic fastners are refitted. Then do the same to the top around the lids.

Jack and tool tray.

Do the same with the jack tool tray and its lid

Make sure jack and tools are correctly seated

I have also lined the rear cubby to stop any items being carried rattleing.

3) Spare Wheel Cover

Take circular trim cover of and fit thin foam padding and replace.

4) Rear wheel arches make sure fastners to the top and rear of the wheel are in place I had two missing and trim was flapping about.

5) Torneau Cover in Truck

Make sure it is seated correctly and then use silicone lube spray to rails and end fittings.Use the lube to free off the recoil mechanism either side of the recoiling cover.Also spray the cover itself and work it a few times. Remove any excess silicone.

6) Rear seats

Make sure that the seats are fastened correctly moved them backwards and forwards on the rail and listed for the click to make sure its in place.

Ski hatch in centre open it spray silicon lube in fastening and close it again making sure its clicked closed.

Do you get that annoying squeaky sound which sounds like the leather rubbing at the back.
Try lifting the headrests slightly.

Rear back rests recline them and then make sure they click into place at the desired angle.

Child seat belt fasteners can make an annoying plasticky knocking noise if they are left to dangle.

They have a sleeve to live in so if they are loose push them back up into their sleeve which holds them out of the way.

7). Door sill moulding

Make sure all the plastic fastners which hold the black moulding to the sill are in place.
Mine had three missing (It rattled) .This was a tricky one as it felt solid when washing the car and it was only when I crawled underneath looking upward I noticed the piece wheremthe holes were flapped about.

8) Front wheel arch forward and above wheels. Trim fastner missing. It rattled.

9) Sliding centre cubby. Make sure it is clicked into place in desired location. Make sure contents are padded to prevent rolling around and rattling.

10) Door Bins /Glove Box

Pad and stow items to stop them moving around

The above has made a tremendous difference I am sure some of you have some more advice as I am not 100% rattle free yet.

Hope this may help someone.

Chris