Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Battery Drain-Aux input connection

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-12, 07:45 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Battery Drain-Aux input connection

I was curious if anyone else had experienced a low battery voltage (or drain) due to the auxillary input connection staying on while the vehicle is turned off with an ipod still connected. I recently found that the vehicle would not start right up due to a low battery voltage (9.5 V), but it eventually started up. I then drove for the day and it got up to 12.2 Volts. The next morning it was back down to 9.5 volts. In checking, I found that my ipod that is connected to the auxillary connection cable was still receiving power after the vehicle was turned off (ipod would not shut off automatically after the power on the vehicle was shut off), and I am sure was draining the battery via this connection. I drove around on a trip that day and the voltage was back at 12.3 volts, and it then stayed that way over night after I disconnected the auxillary cable from the ipod. In the past I had always thought that my ipod turned off after the power was shut off, and had always left the ipod cable connected. Has anyone experienced this type of drain on your battery by leaving the ipod connected to the auxillary input cable?
Old 05-30-12, 08:17 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I leave a iPhone plugged in all the time in the depths of the center console. When the car is turned off, the power to the iPhone is turned off too. At some point, the iPhone goes dead. When the car is started, depending how dead the iPhone is, you hear the iPhone chirp either right away or a bit later.

I also have a charger plugged into the 12 volt outlet in the depths. It shuts off with the car too.

So no, I don't have your problem.
Old 05-31-12, 04:40 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My iPod is always plugged in too. I use it for most of my music as I'm careful recording. The sound beats the CD's for me. Crystal clear with plenty of punch.

No problem with battery drain.
Originally Posted by DunWkg
I leave a iPhone plugged in all the time in the depths of the center console. When the car is turned off, the power to the iPhone is turned off too. At some point, the iPhone goes dead. When the car is started, depending how dead the iPhone is, you hear the iPhone chirp either right away or a bit later.

I also have a charger plugged into the 12 volt outlet in the depths. It shuts off with the car too.

So no, I don't have your problem.
Old 05-31-12, 08:00 AM
DunWkg
Racer

JimH,

Couple of questions. I haven't used an iPod in awhile, doesn't the display show whether it's being charged? Where are you reading the car's battery's voltage?
Old 05-31-12, 09:09 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I haven't experienced any battery drain keeping the iPod connected. The power goes off when the RX is turned off and not on accessory mode. I will double check to make sure.
Old 05-31-12, 09:12 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DunWkg
JimH,

Couple of questions. I haven't used an iPod in awhile, doesn't the display show whether it's being charged? Where are you reading the car's battery's voltage?
In the past, my ipod was connected all the time as I used the aux on the radio to listen to the ipod music. Also, in the past, the ipod went off (completely black/dark display) when I turned the 450h off.
Now, it seems that the ipod display goes to ~ 1/2 lighted intensity display (as opposed to a completely off black/dark display) when I turn the 450h off, but is not in a charging mode; but is still getting some power via the cable connection. I used my volt meter to read the voltage on the small 12 v auxillary starting battery in the back trunk using the actual battery posts.

After a few days, this 12v battery is not having any more drain since I disconnect the ipod when turning the 450h off at the end of my travels. I think I need to test the actual voltage draw (if any) at the battery posts when I leave the ipod connected and the vehicle turned off to test the theory that the battery is really being drained by this connection. I have already seen that the battery is being charged properly after starting the 450h as it registers 14.0 volts when the vehicle is running.
Old 05-31-12, 11:22 AM
Cruiter

If the iPod is getting any juice at all when you completely turn off the car, I'd take it to the dealer and have them check it on a warranty claim.
Originally Posted by JimH2
In the past, my ipod was connected all the time as I used the aux on the radio to listen to the ipod music. Also, in the past, the ipod went off (completely black/dark display) when I turned the 450h off.
Now, it seems that the ipod display goes to ~ 1/2 lighted intensity display (as opposed to a completely off black/dark display) when I turn the 450h off, but is not in a charging mode; but is still getting some power via the cable connection. I used my volt meter to read the voltage on the small 12 v auxillary starting battery in the back trunk using the actual battery posts.

After a few days, this 12v battery is not having any more drain since I disconnect the ipod when turning the 450h off at the end of my travels. I think I need to test the actual voltage draw (if any) at the battery posts when I leave the ipod connected and the vehicle turned off to test the theory that the battery is really being drained by this connection. I have already seen that the battery is being charged properly after starting the 450h as it registers 14.0 volts when the vehicle is running.
Old 06-24-12, 08:53 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

My battery continued to discharge overnight even with no ipod or other aux. connection. Took it into the dealer and they found the battery had 2 dead cells. They changed the battery under warranty (the original battery lasted 19 months). I asked about the ipod connection, and they said the display will eventually go off 100 % after a time, even though it shows some residual brightness after it turns off. In addition, when the vehicle is off, it does not draw power to keep the ipod playing. Thus, my problem stemmed from a bad battery that discharged due to the bad cells.
Old 06-25-12, 02:16 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Glad you got a resolution to your problem and thanks for the update.
Old 06-25-12, 04:19 AM
Cruiter

Thanks for getting back with the report. And glad it all worked out.
My battery continued to discharge overnight even with no ipod or other aux. connection. Took it into the dealer and they found the battery had 2 dead cells. They changed the battery under warranty (the original battery lasted 19 months). I asked about the ipod connection, and they said the display will eventually go off 100 % after a time, even though it shows some residual brightness after it turns off. In addition, when the vehicle is off, it does not draw power to keep the ipod playing. Thus, my problem stemmed from a bad battery that discharged due to the bad cells.
Old 06-25-12, 04:41 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

I thought it was interesting that the dealer did not stock the RX450h hybrid 12V battery as a policy due to the expense of the battery, and maybe the idea they do not need to replace that often. They did stock the RX350 batteries. So, they got an overnight delivery to put in the next morning.
Old 06-25-12, 08:22 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why would the 450H battery be more money? It is after all just a car battery.
Old 06-26-12, 04:31 AM
Cruiter

Although it's smaller, it's a specialty size and built in smaller quantities.
Originally Posted by InRBigness
why would the 450H battery be more money? It is after all just a car battery.
Old 06-26-12, 05:38 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

The Lexus SA said the list price for the 450h 12V battery was $ 700. I had looked online earlier where I saw the price for the Toyota Highlander Hybrid 12V battery where it was listed for ~ $ 280. I imagine it is a small special quantity build (says Panasonic-manufactured in Hawaii on the battery), and definitely more expensive, but doubt that it should really cost $ 700.
Old 06-26-12, 11:32 AM
Cruiter

Can you get the parts # on the battery and just Google the number? That should get a cornucopia of prices
The Lexus SA said the list price for the 450h 12V battery was $ 700. I had looked online earlier where I saw the price for the Toyota Highlander Hybrid 12V battery where it was listed for ~ $ 280. I imagine it is a small special quantity build (says Panasonic-manufactured in Hawaii on the battery), and definitely more expensive, but doubt that it should really cost $ 700.

Quick Reply: Battery Drain-Aux input connection