Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Help with decision....

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-11, 02:19 PM
Fiddledd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with decision....

Hello, all - a newbie here. Was a very happy Toyota 4Runner owner who traded 'up' to an American luxury car in January of this year. WORST mistake I've ever made with a new car. American luxury vehicle has been in shop 15 times (yes, 15 times) since January because of this fancy newfangled touchscreen computer stuff in the vehicle that does not work. Not to mention that even the car horn has been replaced already - whose car horn goes out on a brand new car? Long story short, manufacturer has agreed to repurchase the vehicle because engineers cannot figure out how to fix the problem. So now I must search again for a vehicle and am looking toward Lexus. What is your level of satisfaction with the RX450h regarding mileage, reliability, accessories - most especially the computer system (bluetooth, voice recognition, etc)... Is the 450h worth it over the 350? (I despise stopping for gasoline every two days - my vehicle was rated 19/26 and I've never gotten over 18mpg!) Do you recommend the AWD over the FWD? Thank you for any advice, warnings, input, guidance, you can provide.
Old 08-30-11, 03:19 PM
ecub
Driver

I used to have a Toyota 4Runner several years ago, but sold it for a PT Cruiser. I wanted a utility vehicle, but not the expense (gas wise) of an SUV. It was also one of the worse mistakes I ever made.

I'm a recent owner of the 450h of a few months. So far, I LOVE it! I'm getting about 28 city/31 highway, though I'm sure some have reported more. It all depends on your driving habits. I love the bluetooth, but hardly used the voice recognition, since most of the time I just answer the phone. You can drive the vehicle in EV (Electric Vehicle) mode, but there are limitations. You cannot go faster than 27 mph, there has to be enough charge on the battery, and also appears that the engine cannot be at a high RPM. EV mode is great when driving through your subdivision and pulling up to your house without anyone in your home hearing the engine.

The vehicle is not full time AWD, but only on startups up to certain speeds, which is sufficient for me. It's probably because the rear wheels are run by an electric motor. As far as which, I guess it would depend on where you live.

I guess the only downfall of the car is the sunglass/eyeglass holder. If you have NAV with the SOS button, you will lose the holder.

As far as it between the 350, you will probably get a little better mileage with the 350, but allot better with the 450h. Of course, with the 450h, you will be paying more for saving gas.
Old 08-30-11, 05:16 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I strongly dislike touch screens in cars. I like sitting comfortable back in the seat, hand resting on the remote touch and not reaching forward to touch a screen.

Bluetooth works very well and after initial installation requires no intervention. Which ever phone of four that gets in car first automatically connects. Voice command is so, so and I have AWD for winter driving situations.

Integration of iPods and iPhones via USB is satisfactory, but not ideal. Scrolling needs improvements. iPhones are not officially supported, but work fine.

The one step up stereo is okay, but not something to brag about. The ML maybe better, but I wonder if it is worth the premium.

Mileage is much better than my previous car and I enjoy the benefits of the hybrid drive.

The sunglass storage is a non-issue for me. I keep a prescription pair in a case in the glove box.
Old 08-30-11, 06:26 PM
marcarl
Driver School Candidate

I'm waiting for the order specs on a 2012 450h.
I don't think you can justify the extra cost of the 450 on a purely financial consideration over the 350, unless you plan on a lot of driving for many years. I just want a high milage luxury car so I can whistle past those imported oil gasoline pumps a little longer. Not to mention all the global warming stuff.
Old 08-30-11, 09:30 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I was forced to get AWD even though I dont need it because I wanted to get the Luxury Package which then allows you to get the head up display, pre-collision system, and led headlights. Obviously the communication technology is the same between the 350 and 450h so it depends whether or not you value the quietness, gas mileage, and exclusive options at $4000, which is the premium
Old 09-04-11, 04:42 AM
paiceman
Driver School Candidate

We traded a seven year old Lexus GX460 for a 2011 RX 450h. This is my wifes car which she uses to drive to work, 16 miles round trip - two times per day plus store etc. In Pittsburgh it gets slightly over 26mpg on average. This past summer we took it on a 1,200 mile trip with two kayaks on the roof and all our gear inside and we achieved 27.3mpg, combined highway and country roads. This is the first time I had actually driven the car and it worked terrific. The RX just had it's first six months service nothing wrong. This is the first time it has been back to the dealer. All tech stuff works fine, everything.

My only problem is it's just too quite at stoplights, our other car is my truck, big V8 with pipes.

Best of luck
Old 09-04-11, 07:27 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very happy with the 450h in all respects. After owning for 11 months, it has averaged about 26 MPG in-town while getting 28 MPG on the highway. Break-even cost vs. purchasing a RX350 is likely 80,000 miles + vs. the cost difference.
Old 09-06-11, 08:05 AM
Fiddledd
Driver School Candidate

Default Good guess!

Originally Posted by The X Men
Fancy newfangled touchscreen computer huh? You must have a Ford or Lincoln. 1st of all, I must say that not all American cars are lemons, obviously, yours was.
How did you ever guess? A Lincoln MKX. Love the car, HATE the technology. It's a great concept, but I now realize (too late) there are thousands of people out there experiencing the same problems with Sync - just go to any MKX web forums. Fortunately, I live in a Lemon Law state. Are there any pervasive issues like that with the Lexus? Anything to be wary of with hybrid technology? Hybrids and Lexus are new to me, and so was Sync - just do not want to make another super expensive mistake.
Old 09-19-11, 09:42 AM
Fiddledd
Driver School Candidate

Default any further thoughts on AWD vs FWD?

So I'm sold on the 450h - just need to decide between the AWD and FWD...
Old 09-25-11, 09:28 PM
currybob
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the FWD and love the vehicle!! I have been a Toyota person for many years now and have never had any problems with any of them. I always got top dollar on trade also. I didn't need AWD in the southeast but if you ever have to deal with winter snow then I would suggest you get it. You will not go wrong with the RX just get the colors and extras you want and enjoy a great vehicle.

Bob
Old 10-03-11, 10:51 AM
Rockridge
Driver School Candidate

Just bought the 450h coming from a Volvo XC90. Not as much space as in the Volvo, or an incredible sounding engine as the XC90, but comfort, quite, and ride are much better in the RX 450h. My wife loves her new ride.
Old 10-03-11, 01:29 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

In it's class of a medium sized Luxury SUV, you probably bought the most car money can buy. Plus it's extremely reliable and over all an army of really good dealers to stand behind it.

Congratulations. This is an excellent source of information that you can't find in the manuals (several and large) or on a topic you just don't understand.

Post photos
Originally Posted by Rockridge
Just bought the 450h coming from a Volvo XC90. Not as much space as in the Volvo, or an incredible sounding engine as the XC90, but comfort, quite, and ride are much better in the RX 450h. My wife loves her new ride.
Old 11-11-11, 11:32 AM
Acespacely
Driver School Candidate

I'm deciding on a 450h. I already own a 2011 350 that I really love. I figure I can go an extra step as I do a lot of city driving... The only thing is that the smokey granite color is not available anymore.
Old 11-11-11, 11:49 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Acespacely, welcome to CL. If you love the 350, you'll be head over heels with the 450h. I wouldn't let the color hold you back. Of course I'm biased
Old 11-11-11, 01:13 PM
Acespacely
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Anita... The only thing that I'm confused about is that when I step on the gas on my 350 the car has a kick to it and wants to go. The 450h seems to not have that... Is that the case or am I imagining things?

Quick Reply: Help with decision....