Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Running

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-11, 07:37 PM
grt62
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running

Making a long story short, I left my 450H in a friend's driveway today while we ran the Warrior Dash. Unfortunately, the RX was left running, for 12 hours, while we were gone. It appeared to be fine when my wife and I got back to it: no overheating, very minimal gas use and only a slight drop in MPG. RX seems to be fine in every area; should I be worried about any damage I may have done to it?
Old 08-14-11, 05:06 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by grt62
Making a long story short, I left my 450H in a friend's driveway today while we ran the Warrior Dash. Unfortunately, the RX was left running, for 12 hours, while we were gone. It appeared to be fine when my wife and I got back to it: no overheating, very minimal gas use and only a slight drop in MPG. RX seems to be fine in every area; should I be worried about any damage I may have done to it?
Just your pride

Priceless

Not 12 hours but I walked away from mine for about an hour earlier this summer. No problems.

I just didn't tell 'everyone' till just now
Old 08-14-11, 10:09 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

its fine. What probably happened is that it sat there until the hybrid battery went down to two bars (purple) and then the engine would fire for a while until there were 3 bars, and then it probably went like that back and forth.
Old 08-15-11, 04:26 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thing it wasn't left running in somebody's garage (potential carbon monoxide poisoning).
Old 08-16-11, 07:47 PM
grt62
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. All three of you were correct! I will leave the radio on to avoid this mistake in the future...
Old 08-17-11, 03:24 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The RX beeps three times when you move out of range with the key fob when it's on. That's another way to know it wasn't turned off. Keeping the radio is a good idea. Funny thing, I thought I left mine on the other day because I heard low rumbling like the radio was on inside. Turns out it was the tranquil brook turned raging rapids from all the rain we've had recently
Old 08-17-11, 12:24 PM
x10civ
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Anita

So the engine doesn't switch off - when the key is out of range ?

Can this be programmed as an option - or would it be dangerous?

Old 08-17-11, 01:21 PM
RXSF

It will not switch off when the key is out of range, but it will continuously beep and flash and show a message on the instrument panel that no key is detected. It does not switch off for safety reasons. For instance, a passenger holding the key may exit a car and switching off the engine may cause traffic issues. However, once the car is turned off, it cannot be turned back on
Old 08-17-11, 01:31 PM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by RXSF
It will not switch off when the key is out of range, but it will continuously beep and flash and show a message on the instrument panel that no key is detected. It does not switch off for safety reasons. For instance, a passenger holding the key may exit a car and switching off the engine may cause traffic issues. However, once the car is turned off, it cannot be turned back on
Anita
Did they change it on yours ???

Mine only beeps and flashes three times each time I go in or out of range. But you're right, the engine/ignition system remain on.
Old 08-17-11, 03:31 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Anita
Did they change it on yours ???

Mine only beeps and flashes three times each time I go in or out of range. But you're right, the engine/ignition system remain on.
Jim, mine beeps three times when the fob is out of range, even in accessory mode. It'll stay on like you said. Another warning sound happens when the door is opened before turning off the RX. The only thing missing is a voice to tell you the RX is on
Old 08-17-11, 09:50 PM
marcarl
Driver School Candidate

In Naples FL I dropped my wife at a craft store and went for a carwash. Southern FL has the best car washes. When I got there I realized she had the fob in her purse. I warned the guy not to shut the car off. Everything was fine until two ladies dried the car off. I went to reclaim the RX 350 and they had shut it off. Two miles and cross 41 (Tamiami Trail) in 90 degree weather to get the fob, then return and pick up the little lady.
Thank God the car doesn't shut off when out of range. I might have been stuck in the middle of a six lane hwy.
Old 08-18-11, 11:37 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marcarl
In Naples FL I dropped my wife at a craft store and went for a carwash. Southern FL has the best car washes. When I got there I realized she had the fob in her purse. I warned the guy not to shut the car off. Everything was fine until two ladies dried the car off. I went to reclaim the RX 350 and they had shut it off. Two miles and cross 41 (Tamiami Trail) in 90 degree weather to get the fob, then return and pick up the little lady.
Thank God the car doesn't shut off when out of range. I might have been stuck in the middle of a six lane hwy.
Funny story... You should put a note next to the power button with big capital letters 'DO NOT TURN OFF!!!'

I've always kept the keys with me while using the car wash, no need to empty out my pocket.
Old 08-18-11, 11:58 AM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by wyau01
Funny story... You should put a note next to the power button with big capital letters 'DO NOT TURN OFF!!!'

I've always kept the keys with me while using the car wash, no need to empty out my pocket.
Has anyone 'ELSE' pushed the power button instead of the radio button to turn off the radio ??? Fortunately I was at a stop sign and was having a conversation and just wanted to turn off the radio. But I was distracted . Not sure what would have happened had I been on the highway.

It was in my 1st month or so and it was just a big pretty button that said "push me you fool". Compliance isn't always the smart thing to do.
Old 08-18-11, 01:41 PM
RXSF

if you pushed it on the highway, or even while moving, nothing would have happened. In order for the whole thing to shut off, you have to press and hold the power button for 3-5 seconds
Old 08-19-11, 10:30 AM
RXSF

yeah that was the case. you really gotta read the manual...

Quick Reply: Running