Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Blinking blue lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-11, 06:08 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
lol! i did set myself up for that one eh?
Yup, you did No hard feelings, eh?
Old 08-03-11, 06:23 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

lol you canadians even type the word "eh" haha
Old 08-05-11, 02:05 PM
wcntan80
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally remember to take a photo of the lights I have talked about. Taken with iPhone while at red light and the sun is right in front. Each photo was taken about 3 seconds apart and about 3:30pm.

Old 08-05-11, 02:25 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wcntan80
Finally remember to take a photo of the lights I have talked about. Taken with iPhone while at red light and the sun is right in front. Each photo was taken about 3 seconds apart and about 3:30pm.

Tell ya what, that's just too weird. Please..... Go to your dealer and show them to him, then let us all know what they are
Old 08-05-11, 05:06 PM
RXSF

I know know if I should get my eyes checked now

that is really something, I have never seen anything like that before
Old 08-05-11, 06:07 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

wcntan80, i wanna ask a couple of questions just to rule out any possibilities:

1) have you made any aftermarket modifications to your RX? for example, i have seen in modified cars, owners have installed laser detector signals in the gauges to warn them of police activity. perhaps this is something similar?

2) was your RX bought brand new from the dealer, or did you buy your RX 2nd hand from the original owner? if the latter, did the original owner make any modifications?

3) can you list out every single option that your RX has? can you take more pictures of your dash, cockpit, gauges, buttons, etc so that we can see what your RX has that perhaps we don't have?

4) what year is your RX and do you know where was it manufactured?

the only thing that i can think of (which is highly improbable, nay, impossible) is that you somehow inadvertently picked up a jdm spec option in your usdm RX. mistakes do happen on the assembly line, and you got something that you shouldn't have gotten? it's the only logical explanation?
Old 08-05-11, 07:14 PM
wcntan80
Rookie

Wow, this is really weird. None of you have this lights! May be your steering wheel is blocking those lights?
My wife is actually the one that noticed the blue lights in the beginning. She always says they are cool! She drives the 2008 400h.
My problem is to find out what they are for. Did you guys see or feel that you may have a tiny lense or something around that particular area? The weird thing is that those lights are unpredictable.
This was a 2011 450h demo car from dealer when I bought it. It had about 7500 miles.The blue lights are too 'clean' to be aftermarket. It does not have HUD, parking asist, ML audio, power-folding outside mirror, laser cruise and the lighted sills. But it has the rest of options. It was built in Japan in Oct. 2010, I think.
Old 08-05-11, 07:30 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I played with the instrument panel lights and didn't have any luck duplicating your problem. The majority of us have the '10 and have driven them for more than a year so I would think we would have seen something like this by now. Storm brings up a few interesting possibilities. Get your RX to the dealer so we can find out what the heck those lights are. They're creepy. Good luck.
Old 08-05-11, 11:12 PM
RXSF

that for sure isnt normal. I have never seen that in any car and would not think that it was some sort of indicator light
Old 08-06-11, 04:54 AM
ecub
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2011 and I don't have those lights. What safety features do you have on your car?
Old 08-06-11, 09:24 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by wcntan80
Wow, this is really weird. None of you have this lights! May be your steering wheel is blocking those lights?
unlikely steering wheel blocking lights. i have full visual access to the gauges, and have not seen any blue lights at the 2 locations you indicated

My wife is actually the one that noticed the blue lights in the beginning. She always says they are cool! She drives the 2008 400h.
the fact that your wife also sees the blue lights rules out any potential medical problem with your vision. if you both see the blue lights, then its the car for sure.

to quote sherlock holmes, "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"

the blue lights cannot be any usdm options (that we know of). we would have seen the blue lights by now, and owners manual should have mentioned something about it. so it cannot be usdm options that cause the blue light.

its a demo car from the dealer, so we can rule out any aftermarket installations done by dealer or by previous owner. it is built in japan.

the only improbable answer is that your RXh picked up a gauge that is for the jdm market only, installed into your RXh by accident at the manufacturing plant.
Old 08-06-11, 09:41 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
unlikely steering wheel blocking lights. i have full visual access to the gauges, and have not seen any blue lights at the 2 locations you indicated

the fact that your wife also sees the blue lights rules out any potential medical problem with your vision. if you both see the blue lights, then its the car for sure.

to quote sherlock holmes, "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"

the blue lights cannot be any usdm options (that we know of). we would have seen the blue lights by now, and owners manual should have mentioned something about it. so it cannot be usdm options that cause the blue light.

its a demo car from the dealer, so we can rule out any aftermarket installations done by dealer or by previous owner. it is built in japan.

the only improbable answer is that your RXh picked up a gauge that is for the jdm market only, installed into your RXh by accident at the manufacturing plant.
What adds to the mystery is it was a demo prior to your purchase.

Ah !!! Big Daddy Nippon installed special sensors and cameras to record potential customer reactions and comments with out their knowing it

So always talk lovingly about your car, never know who might be tuned in.

Last edited by Cruiter; 08-06-11 at 09:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-06-11, 10:51 AM
RXSF

the funny thing is that it is on the black hood part of the instrument cluster...since it looks like its relatively the same blue color as the backlighting, then would it be some sort of reflection or perhaps a missing cover?
Old 08-06-11, 03:47 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by RXSF
the funny thing is that it is on the black hood part of the instrument cluster...since it looks like its relatively the same blue color as the backlighting, then would it be some sort of reflection or perhaps a missing cover?
good point, that's another possibility...

i think the only way to find out for sure is for the OP to take his RX to the dealer and have it checked out. there has to be a good explanation for what those blinking blue lights are.

Last edited by Stormforge; 08-06-11 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-06-11, 05:13 PM
wcntan80
Rookie

The thing is, no button to press for blue lights to come on or go off, they come on randomly, unpredictably, can be one side and can be both. It seems like the blue light/beam is behind a cover which is about the size of the letter " O " on your keyboard.

I personally think that they have nothing to do with anything, they are there for show. But since nobody else has these blue lights, I wonder if I shall be happy or worried. Double checked the entire manual again today and did not find an answer. Googled it but keeps bringing me to this post.

May be some of us should give a dealer a visit and check out their 2011 450h on the floor. You can feel the "dot" when you put a finger at the area. This sounds kinky, he, he. My dealer is quite a distance and I won't be visiting them soon since I get regular oil change at my nearest mechanic.

I will try my best to get more info about these blue lights and post it when I can.

Wil
The following users liked this post:
Blkbear (05-18-21)

Quick Reply: Blinking blue lights