Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

GS 450h MPG

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-12, 07:23 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1scGS450h
huh.. Very interesting.. Thanks for sharing.. i'm gonna give this a try.. I was wondering why would a hybrid have a tiptronic shifting.? maybe this was the soul purpose!!

Anyone else try this method. If it works consistently, it just might tip my scales toward buying sooner.
Old 07-03-12, 01:07 PM
2008GSh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redbaron
Anyone else try this method. If it works consistently, it just might tip my scales toward buying sooner.
Yes I can attest to this as well, I notice a measurable difference normal "same trip" mileage numbers if the car is in "6" than "5" or "D". My car will produce 8.3 l/100KM in the city in "6" and driven with some degree of conservativeness. Though I don't notice that much of a drop if I drove it like I stole it. And Highway and City numbers are also very similar.

The car will produce brutally bad numbers during cold morning starts or if the battery gets low. Sport mode seems to encourage the computer to maintain a more fully charged battery and causes mileage to suffer. Though Sport can be used when I go down long hills to trigger a better battery charge.

As long as you use this car for at least a 30 minute commute (city or highway) per day, you will not be disappointed with the mileage numbers that it returns. If your normal commute /trip is 10 minutes or less, and mileage is important to you, buy something else. And the car seems to work better on the flat than up and down hills.

YMMV
Old 07-03-12, 02:29 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2008GSh
Yes I can attest to this as well, I notice a measurable difference normal "same trip" mileage numbers if the car is in "6" than "5" or "D". My car will produce 8.3 l/100KM in the city in "6" and driven with some degree of conservativeness. Though I don't notice that much of a drop if I drove it like I stole it. And Highway and City numbers are also very similar.

The car will produce brutally bad numbers during cold morning starts or if the battery gets low. Sport mode seems to encourage the computer to maintain a more fully charged battery and causes mileage to suffer. Though Sport can be used when I go down long hills to trigger a better battery charge.

As long as you use this car for at least a 30 minute commute (city or highway) per day, you will not be disappointed with the mileage numbers that it returns. If your normal commute /trip is 10 minutes or less, and mileage is important to you, buy something else. And the car seems to work better on the flat than up and down hills.

YMMV
Thanks for the response. Getting closer to opening the wallet. Hard to justify trading in a car in which I have owned for under 2 years (used), and has been highly modified (perfomance, appearance and handling). But it seems like this car is beckoning me.

My question after not finding any answers here is "Do any folks try to Hypermile this car to get maximum MPG's? When driving our Camry Hybrid, we can regularly get 38MPG combined and while I realize this is totally different car (4 cylinder, non performance), I am still curious as to what this can do when one is intentionally trying to get maximum MPG's.

Your responses are very much appreciated.
Old 07-03-12, 02:39 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2008GSh

YMMV
Can you tell me what those numbers equate to in Miles Per US Gallon. Sorry for not being more conversion savy, but figured you might already know the figures.

Thanks,
Old 07-03-12, 05:33 PM
2008GSh
Advanced

8.3 l/100 km is about 28 MPG.

http://tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html

Cold soak short trips can result in low 20's

I've never tried to hyper mill the car. I just drive it normally, and I'm a bit of a lead foot... I'm more of a passer than a passee.... if that helps
Old 07-03-12, 06:55 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Sorry but yet another question.

When driving with the car in "6" do you still have all the power at your disposal or is it neutered in someway?

Seems like if the mileage was better with it in "6" that Lexus would have just kept that as default setting.

What is the purpose of the "6" gear anyways according to the manufacturer?

Thanks,
Old 07-04-12, 06:47 AM
2008GSh
Advanced

I would say there is a slight trade off in performance in 6 vs D ... There is no tach so it is hard to know exactly what the engine is doing, but I would guess it is spending all of its time at the lowest RPM possible So when you goose it, there is a slight delay at city speeds (as the engine has to pick up) At highway speeds this car is AMAZING when you need to pass another car (especially one clogging up the fast lane) "6" at highway speeds has no affect since the car is in "6" (CVT) Anyway and the engine is already running in its power band.

Of course a quick flick of the hybr pwr button and this car is scary fast whatever the transmission says.
Old 07-05-12, 04:31 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

I did 29mpg average for an entire tank.

Most of the driving was Chicago suburb stop and go a trip to Milwaukee with 45 miles highway. Doing the manual downshifting for charge build, and launching in 6th. I was able to pull a clean 29mpg for 90%of the tank. I bet I could have done 31-32 if the weather was holding in the 70's

93 octane
average temp is 90-100 here this past week.
perfect air pressure in tires and newish air filter (month old)

Got gas yesterday. Road Tripped it through S. Wisconsin. Got out on a stretch of road, new pave, middle of nowhere...I guess my buddy at the dealership did turn off the limiter.

Fastest I've ever gone in a car. Faster than I ever did on my bike.

...And I'll never do it again.
Attached Thumbnails GS 450h MPG-photo.jpg  

Last edited by neurocity; 07-05-12 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-05-12, 05:21 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Originally Posted by neurocity
I did 29mpg average for an entire tank.

Most of the driving was Chicago suburb stop and go a trip to Milwaukee with 45 miles highway. Doing the manual downshifting for charge build, and launching in 6th. I was able to pull a clean 29mpg for 90%of the tank. I bet I could have done 31-32 if the weather was holding in the 70's

93 octane
average temp is 90-100 here this past week.
perfect air pressure in tires and newish air filter (month old)

Got gas yesterday. Road Tripped it through S. Wisconsin. Got out on a stretch of road, new pave, middle of nowhere...I guess my buddy at the dealership did turn off the limiter.

Fastest I've ever gone in a car. Faster than I ever did on my bike.

...And I'll never do it again.
So can you just put it into 6th and drive it like that the whole time?
Old 07-05-12, 06:18 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blurry photo because the original iPhone's camera is a bit pathetic for the most part.

Oh, hang on, this is the hybrid thread.....whoops!
Old 07-06-12, 01:49 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Originally Posted by Boron
Oh, hang on, this is the hybrid thread.....whoops!
I'd also be willing to bet the tank was almost full too.

My picture was taken with an iPhone.
Old 07-06-12, 01:57 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Originally Posted by redbaron
So can you just put it into 6th and drive it like that the whole time?
Yup,

Technically... there is no "gear" in our cars. Its just a set of planetary gears... its not even the same CVT that's in the RX400h.

This is what we have.

A low high transition is what you feel as the car crosses 60mph-70mph (depending on how hard you nail it)

So driving the car in 6th doesn't matter. Its not like the car is actually taking off in 6th gear instead of 1st. Its just changing the Algorithm to the drive-line.

Our cars drive lines are nothing like the other GS's even our V6's run differently. You cant think the same when it comes to the 450h...let it all go, Neo.

Last edited by neurocity; 07-09-12 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-06-12, 02:17 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

I'd also be willing to bet the tank was almost full too.

My picture was taken with an iPhone.
Yes, tank was brimmed, and that was 200-ish miles into a 400 mile journey back home.
That was the peak average, and I filled it up again from half full, with 99 RON petrol, to see how it performs.
Not available in my region, just the regular UL 95 and SUL 97 varieties.

If your iPhone is the original 2G version then your lack of car being driven at the time, has helped capture a better image. If it's a 3GS, then it has a much improved camera sensor fitted over the original's and 3G's.
Old 07-06-12, 09:05 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Yup,

Technically... there is no proverbial "gear" in our cars. Its just a set of planetary gears... its not even the same CVT that's in the RX400h.

This is what we have.

A low high transition is what you feel as the car crosses 60mph-70mph (depending on how hard you nail it)

So driving the car in 6th doesn't matter. Its not like the car is actually taking off in 6th gear instead of 1st. Its just changing the Algorithm to the drive-line.

Our cars drive lines are nothing like the other GS's even our V6's run differently. You cant think the same when it comes to the 450h...let it all go, Neo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub-HMBkN6ts
Thanks for the explanation of the gears.

It might be a no brainer, but is everyone here driving with the car in 6th then given the increased MPG's?

Also, what the the manufacturer state the 6th gear is for? Or put another way, what gear do they recommend drivers set the gear to (D?).
Old 07-07-12, 02:26 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Why are you so fixated on the gearing?
You do understand that the hybrid's purpose is to save fuel at the low speeds typically encountered in town/city driving?
On the open road/highway, it's simply a 3.5L V-6 engine, which if you're trying to eek out the most in fuel economy, then you need to maintain a steady speed, and lift your foot off the pedal as often as you can.

In respect of the photo I've posted of the 300 just acquired, I stuck it on cruise the whole time and sat at 60-65 on the motorway, with the odd burst of acceleration to 75 to get past the elephant racers (semi's overtaking each other with a 3 mph differential!).
I covered 300 odd miles on half a tank, if the gauge is accurate, and never once worried about what gear it was in - I left it to look after itself in D.

There's info, presuming the same is in the US owner's manual as the UK's, on how to drive an auto - when to self-select a gear using S mode, and so on.
I'd suggest reading it, and taking it in - but it's more about how you operate your right foot, that'll bring the economy up on the open roads.

Quick Reply: GS 450h MPG