Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Windshield woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-10, 02:13 PM
Cruiter

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Windshield woes

Today started as an absolutely gorgeous day. My steed was fairly clean still but the weather was so great compared to past weeks I decided to give him a good hand wash. Normally as I finish I do the drying before cleaning the wheels to get all the water off before it spots. I do my wheels last. I got him washed and was cleaning the inside of the w/s and noticed what I thought was water still running down the outside of the windshield. I got out to dry it and it didn't dry. Oh No, crack two third up from bottom in center. It wasn't there when I started. The only thing I can think of is I lost my grip on the w/s wiper when lowering it and it flopped about 1/2 down on it's own.

Anyway I diddybopped down to my dealer knowing he has Saturday hours. They did the normal check to make sure there wasn't a stone chip (there wasn't) and immediately made an appt to replace it on Thursday and do the 10k service at the same time. He said they'd had two others which is strange this early into a run. My guess is the weight of the w/s wiper slamming down did it but I can't say for sure. However the crack is right down the middle to the base.

Suggestion, don't let your wipers slap down on their own. Good news is it's covered by warranty. Bad news is I have to be aggressive looking for wind noise, leaks, and checking to make sure the electronics in the mirror and on the w/s all work as they do now.
Old 03-06-10, 03:14 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Glad the dealership is taking responsibility, that windshield is $$.

could it have to do with the temperature differences of the glass from the car wash and the sun?
Old 03-06-10, 04:08 PM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by RXSF
Glad the dealership is taking responsibility, that windshield is $$.

could it have to do with the temperature differences of the glass from the car wash and the sun?
No I don't think so. Temps were about 50 degrees and the water was cold from the hose. Much less than last summer when I washed it in the 90's. I'm thinking it's just a freak occurrence unless there is a trend which could mean the w/s is the Achilles heal. All the same, in the future, I'll hold onto the blades with a little more force and make sure I let them down easy. At this point, I'm just thinking really rotten luck. But hey, it's not mechanical or electrical, just a W/S. I told them I wanted to see it on Thursday before they put it in so I could make sure it was factory, same tint, etc.
Old 03-06-10, 06:23 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Jim, that's incredible. There's more temp fluctuation by me but I haven't had anything like that happen. But it's a possibility. Just wondering, did you use an ice scraper recently with the snow down your way? Dropping that on the windshield (not intentionally of course) can do it. I know you said you didn't see it before you starting washing but it could have grown. Happened on my parents' old SRX.

I hope it's a fluke and not indicative of a problem. Keep us posted. At least it won't cost you anything.

Last edited by kitlz; 03-06-10 at 06:40 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-06-10, 06:39 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

At least it won't cost you anything
might cost him wind noise, definately wont be as good as the original seal.
Old 03-06-10, 06:43 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

I really hope Jim won't have any problems with the new windshield. Have you had to replace one before? I haven't.
Old 03-06-10, 06:51 PM
Cruiter

I'm well known there. When I retired from the car business before going back into the Navy I was working for the Nalley organization (dealer). They know if it isn't right, they'll have to get it right. So I have high confidence it will be right after the 1st visit. They don't want me as a repeat unhappy guest. And they know it
Old 03-11-10, 02:44 PM
Cruiter

Default Excellent Job

Today my windshield was replaced with an OEM windshield and they did an excellent job. I compared the markings to a new one on the lot and they're the very same.

The drive home was without the slightest hint of wind noise. I tested all the electric stuff around the rearview mirror and it seems OK. Wasn't dark yet or raining so I'm not positive till I drive at night and in the rain to test the 'auto' wipers and AFS headlights.

Also my dealer reads the Lexus letter we all got re: new 10k maintenance schedule as complimentary oil change at 10k. And mine was complimentary. So no charge at all for the day. I'm all smiles .

I had asked for and received the 'HS' for a loaner. It's a great car but this one didn't have the NAV and several other features I'm used to. Also the mileage was only about 3.5 to 4 mpg better than my RX (h) so for the money difference the RX is a much better buy. And it comes with tires that must not last long. The rear window had a disclaimer sticker about it having high performance tires that may not last 20,000 miles. Why would you put high performance tires on a 4 cyl hybrid sedan ??? I can see them on the CT 200h when it comes out but not this sedan.

Anyway, today was one more reminder of the good treatment you expect and usually receive with Lexus.