Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Good Year Tire Wear/Alignment issue resolved, "somewhat"..

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 11:45 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts
Talking Good Year Tire Wear/Alignment issue resolved, "somewhat"..

So.. all of 4 tires in the 400h is bald in the inside.
Had to call Lexus Corporate.
Well the car is at the dealership now.
basically, here's the "outcome"

Lexus will replace 2 tires, and I'll pay for the other 2.
I pay for the alignment.

Tires are ~$245 each at the dealership, they are $180 @ the tireshop down the street. alignment is $250. (i have to get all of it done @ the dealer or no free tires)...

i know i know, i should take my losses and get it done..
but what makes me sad is that, it's the car's design that's causing the bad tire wear, if it was my fault, I will gladly pay 100% of the cost..

oh well.. If you have GOOD YEAR tires, please check the INSIDE tread!!
mine looked brand new from the outer part, but it was bald in the inside.

Take off your tire to check, if not turn your tires all the way to the left or right and look at it.

UPDATE:
Here is my alignment sheet, they charge $250 for this:

I am no expert, but 2 hours on the rack, i think they should be able to zero out the toe..
my front tires were bald.. and the alignment did not change anything noticeable. so if my new michelins wear out the same, then definitely there's a problem with the 400h itself.. if it wears evenly, then it's the Good Years..

Take a look at the camber of the front. I dont see a reason for so much negative camber.. I believe the extra weight of the battery is affecting this figure. I guess Lexus cheaped out on "redesigning" the suspension of the Hybrid..
Attached Thumbnails Good Year Tire Wear/Alignment issue resolved, "somewhat"..-alignment.jpg  

Last edited by joedaddy1; 06-27-07 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-26-07, 12:18 PM
slimpiggy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All 2007 releases comes with 18' Michelin, I am #18 in toronto for the 2007 model and it's michelin, rememeber Toronto is tough weathered too
Old 06-27-07, 07:58 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Have a similar comment on the Goodyears, how did they convince Lexus to be the OEM for the RX.....good riddance!
Old 06-27-07, 08:30 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Talking

They called 2 "free" tires "Goodwill", yet I was charged for the other two tires and the alignment..

but i really felt that it was a goodwill on MY part that i paid for the other two tires and alignment...

I think the problem with the RX hybrid as opposed to the Prius is that fact that RX was NOT designed as a hybrid on the blue-print.
Prius on the other hand was designed as hybrid ONLY..
live and learn i guess

Last edited by joedaddy1; 06-27-07 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-27-07, 09:39 AM
irieblue
Driver School Candidate

My 2006 400h has the same issue with wear on the inside of both front tires. I've always made sure the tires are inflated to the spec (I add air when the tires are cold). The car has been in twice for general service, and Lexus says the tire wear is fine, even though in my mind the wear on the inner side is completely obvious compared to the outside.

I've never been a good year tire fan at all , but I'm thinking about calling lexus in the next couple of weeks once I collect enough background info on the issue and whether others are experiencing the same issue. I am in Northern California.
Old 06-27-07, 09:45 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Originally Posted by irieblue
My 2006 400h has the same issue with wear on the inside of both front tires. I've always made sure the tires are inflated to the spec (I add air when the tires are cold). The car has been in twice for general service, and Lexus says the tire wear is fine, even though in my mind the wear on the inner side is completely obvious compared to the outside.

I've never been a good year tire fan at all , but I'm thinking about calling lexus in the next couple of weeks once I collect enough background info on the issue and whether others are experiencing the same issue. I am in Northern California.
make sure u get it documented ASAP..
Lexus was trippin that I didn't mention it up until now... I told them, I didn't know til my tire guy told me!
Old 06-30-07, 09:57 AM
sinthetiq
Driver School Candidate

Could it possibly be your driving style?
Old 06-30-07, 10:01 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Originally Posted by sinthetiq
Could it possibly be your driving style?
i get ~26~27 mpg on this car.. i think "normal" people only get 23~24.. so no i doubt it's my driving style
Old 07-02-07, 09:29 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I have taken my RX300 to a different place for alignment for some time. I need to do an alignment EVERY MONTH. That is how bad Mexico City is on vehicles here. I routinely suggest to vehicles at my track who have had their 1/4 mile time drop off to check out their alignment.

That being said, the machine in question that my place is using is one made by Hunter (albeit the readings are in Spanish). One of the most important things is to make sure who ever does the alignment does the rear alignment, not just the front wheels as most places do. This makes a HUGE difference and can be felt through the acceleration.

However, I agree $250 USD is excessive. Toyota here will charge about $40 USD and the place I use charges just $15 USD.
Old 02-24-08, 10:43 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
They called 2 "free" tires "Goodwill", yet I was charged for the other two tires and the alignment..

but i really felt that it was a goodwill on MY part that i paid for the other two tires and alignment...

I think the problem with the RX hybrid as opposed to the Prius is that fact that RX was NOT designed as a hybrid on the blue-print.
Prius on the other hand was designed as hybrid ONLY..
live and learn i guess
I had a 2004 Prius with these same pieces of garbage tires 1) when it was windy or behind a truck the front end walked all over. 2) Every time it rained I sat and spun basically I was stuck. 3) These tires wore very fast tires were half gone at 12,000 miles I finally replaced them for safety reasons and filed a complaint with the NHTSA whatever good that did.
Old 02-25-08, 09:01 AM
NeoNz
Driver

$250 for an alignment? are you living on mars? dude go to pep boys they'll do it for $25 or less
Old 02-25-08, 09:05 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Originally Posted by NeoNz
$250 for an alignment? are you living on mars? dude go to pep boys they'll do it for $25 or less
you definitely have no clue what an alignment is if you think even pep boys will do it for $25..
Old 02-26-08, 08:56 AM
NeoNz
Driver

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
you definitely have no clue what an alignment is if you think even pep boys will do it for $25..
$250 for an alignment? what are you smoking? my friend owns a couple pep boys and quoted me $25.
Old 02-27-08, 10:52 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

$250 for an alignment? what are you smoking? my friend owns a couple pep boys and quoted me $25.
you win.
Old 03-01-08, 09:15 PM
vulpasin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my friend owns a couple pep boys and quoted me $25.
That explains why you were quoted $25 for alignment.

There may be (and are, for sure) places where you can have the alignment done for less than $250...but even Pep Boys doesn't have such a rate as $25...maybe $25 per...wheel

Check out, page 3 (lower left corner) with the "specials" from Pep Boys:

http://pepboys.shoplocal.com/pepboys...89090458046009

SPECIAL: Computerized Wheel Alignment $69.99

And keep in mind that it says in "small prints"....Price includes parts and labor. See store for details. Most vehicles. A shop supply fee may apply. Actual price may vary depending on vehicle make and model...in other words for SUVs clearly is more, and Lexus owners definitely will be charged a "luxury tax"

Last edited by vulpasin; 03-01-08 at 10:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Good Year Tire Wear/Alignment issue resolved, "somewhat"..