Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

400h Alignment problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-06, 12:52 PM
spamcop
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 400h Alignment problems

Our 400h went out of alignment at about 12,000 miles (evidently the cut off for any warranty work). At the 15,000 mile service, the dealership (115 miles away) offered to align it for $99. Incidentally, they did replace two tires for free. The local Toyota dealership (2 miles away) did the alignment for $79. That was $20 and eight gallons (round trip) less.

Well, here we are 5,000 miles later and it seems we are out of alignment again. The back rattles and our two year old daughter thinks it is fun to make a steady chanting noise for the vibrato effect. Embarrassing for my, but she enjoys it

We drive the RX gingerly; more so than our other cars. I have a hard time believing it is that. Is anyone else having alignment issues? Could it just be the Toyota dealership?
Old 12-10-06, 01:50 PM
justfixit
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unfortunately the alignment is warrantable up to 20K miles.
The RX400 has a Goodyear tire issue. I am guessing that your tires are cupping or forming an uneven inner tire wear which in turn is causing a roaring type noise and vibration. There are no alignment issues with the 400h but tire issues yes. Get after your dealership aggressively if you have Goodyears and see if they will help in Michelin swap.
Good luck
Old 12-10-06, 04:21 PM
spamcop
Driver School Candidate

Well, that stands to reason. Yes, it is exactly how you say. Even the location of the tire wear. Can you point me in the direction of some documentation I can ram down their throats...er...display for them?
Old 12-10-06, 06:25 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

My RX300 gets subjected to the worst 'paved' road abuse on this planet (I am sure of that), and I find myself aligning my little baby every month. Now, after 5,000 miles, I can surely believe it that your RX400h has the possibility of being out of whack on the alignment as with my situation the alignment issue gets magnified many times over down here.
Old 12-10-06, 06:39 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My RX 330 gets alignment issues as well ... on the Interstate over 75 mph there is quite a shudder (shakes the middle console). When I replaced the tires it was VERY apparent that the insides of the front tires especially wore more than the rest.
Old 12-11-06, 04:42 AM
jerryray
Pit Crew

I drive my 400h back and forth from Manhattan NY, roads are not great, about 20 miles each way. I have the Michelins. Mileage is 16k. no alignment or noticeable tire wear. And I have hit some potholes you would not believe.
Old 12-11-06, 11:50 AM
spamcop
Driver School Candidate

Good to know jerryray, thanks.

I am suppose to get a call from the "service manager" to discuss their options. I'm not expecting much, but I will post what I hear. It is Reliable Lexus in Springfield MO.

The scheduler did say they have not heard of the problem and are still using Goodyear tires. The fact that justfixit knew EXACTLY the symptoms I was seeing without me mentioning it makes me think someone is playing "I got a secret."

Last edited by spamcop; 12-11-06 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-11-06, 03:46 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I had the same problem on my 400h. The tires were rotated at 5000 and 10000 miles and by 13000 all 4 were worn badly on the inside edge. The tires were RSA Badyears. The tech told me when I took the car in that the subject had come up in their morning service meeting. They did the alignment to correct the problem and installed 4 new tires at no charge. Unfortunately, the free tires were more Goodyears, but for free I couldn't complain.

I take the car in Wednesday for 15000 mile service and will make sure they check the wear.

Steve
Old 12-11-06, 08:00 PM
spamcop
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I had the same problem on my 400h. The tires were rotated at 5000 and 10000 miles and by 13000 all 4 were worn badly on the inside edge. The tires were RSA Badyears. The tech told me when I took the car in that the subject had come up in their morning service meeting. They did the alignment to correct the problem and installed 4 new tires at no charge. Unfortunately, the free tires were more Goodyears, but for free I couldn't complain.

I take the car in Wednesday for 15000 mile service and will make sure they check the wear.

Steve
Keep us posted as to the wear on those badyears.
Old 12-11-06, 08:01 PM
spamcop
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spamcop
Good to know jerryray, thanks.

I am suppose to get a call from the "service manager" to discuss their options. I'm not expecting much, but I will post what I hear. It is Reliable Lexus in Springfield MO.

The scheduler did say they have not heard of the problem and are still using Goodyear tires. The fact that justfixit knew EXACTLY the symptoms I was seeing without me mentioning it makes me think someone is playing "I got a secret."

I never heard from the dealership today. If they call I'll post the results here. Otherwise I'll be posting on Saturday after my dealership visit.
Old 12-18-06, 10:43 AM
spamcop
Driver School Candidate

And now the rest of the story...

Oil change, $42.
Lexus IS loaner car, gratis (really nice for a Corolla )
Absolutely no resolution from the dealership on the alignment/Goodyear issues, including no tech bulletins, also gratis.

Funny thing though, all the new RXs had Michelins. BTW, Sam's club had Michelins the cheapest. It looks like I'll be ordering some soon.
Old 01-12-07, 05:17 PM
spamcop
Driver School Candidate

Update: I got the Michelins on the back now and all seems well. There is still a slight vibration, but no vibrato in my little girl's voice on the highway.

I will post any additions as events unfold, but hopefully this is the last of the issues until the new Goodyears up front screw up.

I am still interested to hear if anyone else is having this problem. I know some dealerships come by the forums. It would be good for them to hear about it.
Old 01-12-07, 07:23 PM
wstr75
Driver School Candidate

I put Bridgestone Alenzas on our 400h at 13,000 miles. We have 17,500 miles and everything seems to be a-ok.

The Lexus dealer had aligned the car at 6000 miles and again at 10,000 miles. I had the Firestone (Bridgestone tires) dealer align the car when the tires were installed. He said everything was out of alignment, especially the rear wheels. There was a post last fall where somebody spoke of the electric motors sudden torque unloading causing alignment problems and that Toyota was in the head scratching phase which would eventually lead to a presumed permanent fix. I think there is two problems at work: 1) soft rubber compound Goodyear RSA tires and 2) an alignment holding issue with the RX/Highlander hybrids.

Question to the folks with alignment issues: Is your RX AWD or Front-wheel drive? My car is AWD.
Old 01-13-07, 09:13 AM
Wubbits
Driver School Candidate

as for the ticking noise in the rear- if you don't use the tonnau cover in the
back and the auto release buttons are not pushed in they WILL rattle.
the same for all RX-330-350-400h. as for tires some tires are good
some tires are crap. Unfortunatly we are at the mercy of the tire
manufacturer more than the dealer. the suspension is strong enough
to put up with regular abuse and not go out of alignment. the only thing
that is adjustable is front and rear toe. or camber with the use of special
bolts. we will always be playing the compromise game between tire wear
and ride/handling. awd and fwd have pretty much the same suspension
geomotry..
Old 01-14-07, 07:20 AM
spamcop
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wstr75
Question to the folks with alignment issues: Is your RX AWD or Front-wheel drive? My car is AWD.
Our is an AWD.

Quick Reply: 400h Alignment problems