Notices
HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

OpenPilot

Old 03-26-19, 03:24 PM
rajeev6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OpenPilot

I recently came across comma.ai and I'm impressed by what it has been able to achieve in short time - Tesla like self driving for fraction of cost!
There're are many videos on YouTube if you're interested.

I'm curious if anyone has tried that on HS? If you have, or have considered it, can you please share your experience or at least your thoughts?
Thank you.
Old 03-26-19, 08:18 PM
Magellan55

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Seems limited by the sensors in the car. The HS doesn't have any side-looking cameras, so it can't see what's driving next to you. Plus it doesn't have nearly the processing power to process all the data in real time. You need more than software to create a self-driving car. It will never safely change lanes (or highways) by itself like a Tesla. But it may provide a more advanced traffic-aware cruise control + lane keep assist.
Old 04-10-19, 04:17 PM
rajeev6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magellan55 You're right - I shouldn't have said self driving like Tesla. That'd certainly require a whole bunch of sensors and cameras. My newest car is an Audi Q7 which has what Audi calls "Driver Assistance" - Level 2 to be strictly speaking. It actively steers the car and with active cruise control can bring the car to a full stop and resume from full stop. Here in this part of the country, where 6-8 hours of drive is "not bad" , this comes in very handy. There's a noticeable less stress for the driver - grab a sandwich from drive-thru and right back on highway - you can be eating your sandwich comfortably while driving
This is what comma.ai does with Openpilot and I wanted to see if it there was any possibility to using it on my old HS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: