HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Remote Start

Old 02-17-10, 07:13 AM
Squirrelsb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote Start

Anyone figure out this remote start issue? You remote start the car, cool, starts up and locks the door. Then when you walk up to the car, the fob unlocks the doors but then shuts down the engine.. um, whats the purpose of a remote start when I have to start up the car again? Yeah, its maybe a bit warmer in the car but can someone figure out why the engine shuts down again?

Just an odd thing I noticed with my HS250
Old 02-17-10, 08:55 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

How long are you letting the car run before you enter? Seems like there is a default time out after a certain amount of time the engine is on. That sounds a bit unusual for it to turn off. Have you addressed this issue to your Lexus dealer?
Old 02-17-10, 09:09 AM
Squirrelsb
Rookie

Yep. Apparently its a known quirk. Remote start the car the engine starts and doors lock (to prevent someone from entering I guess). Anyway, walk up to said started car and the fob will unlock the doors and the engine will shut down. Now, they did tell me that once the car has already started, I can press the unlock button on the key (not walk up to it) and the doors will unlock AND the engine will remain running but that seems like alot of pressing dontcha think?
Old 02-17-10, 09:25 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirrelsb
Yep. Apparently its a known quirk. Remote start the car the engine starts and doors lock (to prevent someone from entering I guess). Anyway, walk up to said started car and the fob will unlock the doors and the engine will shut down. Now, they did tell me that once the car has already started, I can press the unlock button on the key (not walk up to it) and the doors will unlock AND the engine will remain running but that seems like alot of pressing dontcha think?
Is it really going to hurt you to press one button?

All kidding aside, that makes sense. You don't want just any one person to walk up to your car and take off with it once you have engaged the car via remote start. You can be in proximity of your car and someone could actually sneak into the car when you're not paying attention and take off.

Having to unlock the car via the remote key fob is a good thing because it keeps the car locked until you are ready to enter the vehicle. By pressing the unlock button on the key fob, it's basically a safety buffer for you to enter your car and drive away with it...not someone else.

I had a remote start module added to one of my previous Lexus IS300. It was an aftermarket unit, but it was designed to work with my factory key fob. To start the car, you would press unlock, then lock 3 times. The car starts, and will run up to 10 mins before it shuts down on its own. The cool feature was, when you were ready to get into the car, you had to insert the key into the ignition, turn it on to the "ON" position in order to shift into gear and drive off. If you were to unlock the vehicle but NOT put the key into the ignition, once you depress the brake pedal to shift out of park, the car would automatically shut down.

The remote start systems now are much more advanced than before. It may seem like an inconvenience to reach for your keyfob, but it's an extra measure to keep your car from getting stolen.
Old 02-17-10, 02:11 PM
Squirrelsb
Rookie

Originally Posted by flipside909
Is it really going to hurt you to press one button?

Hehehehee.. Actually its FOUR buttons. I have the remote start thats factory built with the car and to start the engine you have to hit the lock button twice then press and hold the lock button again for 3 seconds.. (3 buttons there). Then to open the car press the unlock button (4 buttons). I guess they figure that since the fob is in your hand anyway, might as well press it again to open the door. /shrug
Old 02-18-10, 09:54 AM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how come 2nd gen is350 can't have a factory remote start lol
Old 03-06-10, 07:53 AM
rdalemerce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...actually

..it's designed that way on purpose.
Consider two things please:
1. The remote start locks your doors so that no one can enter your car. I think that it temporarily disables the proximity sensor that allows you to start the car without the key being in or near the vehicle. If some one were to gain access to your car (while it is remotely started), then it could be driven away. Additionally, having the engine shut off as you unlock the car resets the proximity sensor so that you are once again sync'ed between the key and the car.
2. The remote start only allows the vehicle to run for "xx" minutes (15 I think) and then shuts off again. In my car you can only remote start the car twice - but not a third time. I "think" that this is a safety issue in case the key fob placement in your pocket allows the car to be remotely started without you intending it.

just my .02
Old 03-08-10, 06:32 AM
Squirrelsb
Rookie

Originally Posted by rdalemerce
..it's designed that way on purpose.
Consider two things please:
1. The remote start locks your doors so that no one can enter your car.
While I think thats the intent, I'm not sure how practical it is since MOST of the time thats not going to happen since you have to be at least in visible range to start the car. Further, I thought you cant drive the car without the fob near it? So, if your car DOES happen to get snatched, how far can it run without the fob?
Old 03-08-10, 06:45 AM
jimmyford1
Driver

Originally Posted by Squirrelsb
While I think thats the intent, I'm not sure how practical it is since MOST of the time thats not going to happen since you have to be at least in visible range to start the car. Further, I thought you cant drive the car without the fob near it? So, if your car DOES happen to get snatched, how far can it run without the fob?
Once it's started, it will run until it's turned off or runs out of gas. Once off, it can't be restarted without the fob.
Old 03-08-10, 09:54 AM
rdalemerce
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jimmyford1
Once it's started, it will run until it's turned off or runs out of gas. Once off, it can't be restarted without the fob.
That's not correct. It will run for ~15 minutes and then shut itself off -- at least that's how it works on my Hybrid Highlander. I can't "remote" start it more than twice before it will not allow the remote start to function -- again, a safety feature (I believe). After I open the door and re-lock the door with the key fob, I can once again remote start it.

Also, I can remote start my Highlander from the office window - yes, it's "line of sight" but I can remote start my car from inside my house without having to go into the garage and "see" it. I guess I don't think that it matters as long as the signal can reach the receiver.
Old 08-24-12, 07:00 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by greg0723
how come 2nd gen is350 can't have a factory remote start lol
None for the IS350

Here is a list of vehicles that Xpresskit Dball RSR (Remote Start Ready) using factory key fob

CT 200h
2011 Lexus CT 200hRSR - Remote Start Ready
ES 350
2012 Lexus ES 350RSR - Remote Start Ready
2011 Lexus ES 350RSR - Remote Start Ready
2010 Lexus ES 350RSR - Remote Start Ready
2009 Lexus ES 350RSR - Remote Start Ready
2008 Lexus ES 350RSR - Remote Start Ready
2007 Lexus ES 350RSR - Remote Start Ready
GX 460
2013 Lexus GX 460RSR - Remote Start Ready
2012 Lexus GX 460RSR - Remote Start Ready
2011 Lexus GX 460RSR - Remote Start Ready
2010 Lexus GX 460RSR - Remote Start Ready
HS 250h
2012 Lexus HS 250hRSR - Remote Start Ready
2011 Lexus HS 250hRSR - Remote Start Ready
2010 Lexus HS 250hRSR - Remote Start Ready
LS 460
2012 Lexus LS 460RSR - Remote Start Ready
2011 Lexus LS 460RSR - Remote Start Ready
2010 Lexus LS 460RSR - Remote Start Ready
2009 Lexus LS 460RSR - Remote Start Ready
2008 Lexus LS 460RSR - Remote Start Ready
2007 Lexus LS 460RSR - Remote Start Ready
LS 600h
2012 Lexus LS 600hRSR - Remote Start Ready
2011 Lexus LS 600hRSR - Remote Start Ready
2010 Lexus LS 600hRSR - Remote Start Ready
2009 Lexus LS 600hRSR - Remote Start Ready
2008 Lexus LS 600hRSR - Remote Start Ready
LX 570
2012 Lexus LX 570RSR - Remote Start Ready
2011 Lexus LX 570RSR - Remote Start Ready
2010 Lexus LX 570RSR - Remote Start Ready
2009 Lexus LX 570RSR - Remote Start Ready
2008 Lexus LX 570RSR - Remote Start Ready
RX 350
2012 Lexus RX 350RSR - Remote Start Ready
2011 Lexus RX 350RSR - Remote Start Ready
2010 Lexus RX 350RSR - Remote Start Ready
RX 450h
2012 Lexus RX 450hRSR - Remote Start Ready
2011 Lexus RX 450hRSR - Remote Start Ready
2010 Lexus RX 450hRSR - Remote Start Ready
Old 12-02-12, 11:57 AM
skywise
Rookie

Has anyone added a dball RSR system to the HS?
It seems very confusing what options are needed for the HS.
Old 12-15-12, 05:25 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by skywise
Has anyone added a dball RSR system to the HS?
It seems very confusing what options are needed for the HS.
its not too bad maybe 10 wires to connect... very straight forward.. i find its easier to focus on 1 wire at a time too lessen the confusion.. if wiring is not your thing find a certified installer to do it for you..

fyi i did an HS about 3 weeks ago..(took about 30mins) he's comin back after the holidays to add smart start gps..
Old 01-31-13, 08:33 AM
TonyHS
Driver

Do you have to have your seats preset to heat or cool on the dial to have them start working from being remote started, or will the remote start have the ability to enable them?
Old 03-28-13, 07:25 AM
bimmer16
Driver School Candidate

Hi fellow members, I'm new to the forum since I just recently bought a 2010 HS. I was wondering how can I tell if my car is equipped with remote start?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote Start