HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

2010 HS250 brake booster issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-23, 10:14 PM
1neeto
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2010 HS250 brake booster issues

Got the letter about the CSP for brake booster and this car has been having booster issues for years there’s this hissing noise when you step on the pedal, and the pump cycles every 10-12 seconds like clockwork regardless if I’m on the pedal or not is this code enough to have this repaired by the CSP? Just recently the car started to flash all the idiot lights momentarily while coasting and then when you step on the brake the feel is not right wife is scared of driving the car and rightfully so.
Old 12-13-23, 05:25 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,102 Likes on 940 Posts

Yes it is time to take it to the Lexus dealer and tell them you think you qualify for the repair under the CSP. I think mine also qualifies and it is not nearly as bad as yours, just the occasional weird brake caliper noise.

For other CL members see this link for further details on the CSP (Customer Support Program 23LE04 applies to Brake Booster Pump Assembly and/or Brake Booster and is valid until March 31, 2024)
The last post in the link is a link to another thread that has copies of the actual CSP documents.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hs-...al-issues.html

Last edited by Clutchless; 12-13-23 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-13-23, 10:47 AM
1neeto
Driver

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Yes it is time to take it to the Lexus dealer and tell them you think you qualify for the repair under the CSP. I think mine also qualifies and it is not nearly as bad as yours, just the occasional weird brake caliper noise.

For other CL members see this link for further details on the CSP (Customer Support Program 23LE04 applies to Brake Booster Pump Assembly and/or Brake Booster and is valid until March 31, 2024)
The last post in the link is a link to another thread that has copies of the actual CSP documents.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hs-...al-issues.html
Thank you for the link. Sure is nice to have such a costly repair being done for free. Car is showing its age. Back in August I replaced a few bad cells and now I noticed the replace hybrid pack DTC pending so I guess other cells are going bad as well. It’s also doing weird things like the trunk acts like I left the keys inside so it refuses to latch unless I really slam it. Other than that, the car is very mechanically sound. At 125k miles it still has the factory brake pads with enough lining to last quite a few more years.
Old 12-16-23, 06:34 PM
850R
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 1neeto
Thank you for the link. Sure is nice to have such a costly repair being done for free. Car is showing its age. Back in August I replaced a few bad cells and now I noticed the replace hybrid pack DTC pending so I guess other cells are going bad as well. It’s also doing weird things like the trunk acts like I left the keys inside so it refuses to latch unless I really slam it. Other than that, the car is very mechanically sound. At 125k miles it still has the factory brake pads with enough lining to last quite a few more years.
Concerning your trunk latching issue, inspect the hook assembly on the car itself. On my vehicle the attach bolts backed off and caused the same issue to are having. If you catch it early enough, you can just tighten the bolts. If it is late enough you will need to do a bigger repair. On mine the nutplate inside the car sheared when I tried to tighten the bolts. I ended up replacing the trunk's nutplate assembly with nylon license plate inserts.
The following users liked this post:
1neeto (12-18-23)
Old 12-18-23, 02:01 AM
1neeto
Driver

Originally Posted by 850R
Concerning your trunk latching issue, inspect the hook assembly on the car itself. On my vehicle the attach bolts backed off and caused the same issue to are having. If you catch it early enough, you can just tighten the bolts. If it is late enough you will need to do a bigger repair. On mine the nutplate inside the car sheared when I tried to tighten the bolts. I ended up replacing the trunk's nutplate assembly with nylon license plate inserts.
I will do this thank you so much!
Old 01-03-24, 04:09 PM
1neeto
Driver

Update: had the car serviced by the program and now I have a brand new booster and pump free of charge! Bad news is that the replace battery pack DTC is pending again.
Old 01-04-24, 10:41 AM
Clutchless

1neeto wrote - "Bad news is that the replace battery pack DTC is pending again."

Please explain "DTC"
Also what happened the first time regarding your "replace battery pack"?
Have you ever taken it to an independent hybrid specialty shop? They can do more things with the battery than the dealer, often for a lot less money.
Old 01-04-24, 02:52 PM
1neeto
Driver

1neeto wrote - "Bad news is that the replace battery pack DTC is pending again."

Please explain "DTC"
Also what happened the first time regarding your "replace battery pack"?
Have you ever taken it to an independent hybrid specialty shop? They can do more things with the battery than the dealer, often for a lot less money.
Sorry, DTC stands for diagnostic trouble code. The first time I had that code was earlier last year. I removed the battery pack, identified the bad cells and replaced them with good used cells. As I expected, other cells now went bad and I have to do the job again. That’s why it’s best to just replace the whole pack and be done with it. Local Lexus dealership quoted me $5500 for the job.
Old 01-04-24, 02:59 PM
1neeto
Driver

Here’s what the job looks like. Definitely a two person job because that pack is heavy and it’s quite the awkward position to take it out.
Old 01-05-24, 04:30 AM
Clutchless

$5500 may be about the value of the vehicle. At least you have the skills to perfrom this diagnosis and repair yourself.
Did you clean out the battery cooling ducts and fan blade while you had it apart? Dust gets in there and reduces cooling capacity which shortens battery life, and you are in a warm climate.
Old 01-07-24, 07:41 PM
1neeto
Driver

$5500 may be about the value of the vehicle. At least you have the skills to perfrom this diagnosis and repair yourself.
Did you clean out the battery cooling ducts and fan blade while you had it apart? Dust gets in there and reduces cooling capacity which shortens battery life, and you are in a warm climate.
yes I cleaned the ducts and fan blades the best I could. Spent more time than I cared for cleaning it because I know how important it is. Not exactly looking forward to do this all over again.

also another update, gas mileage has improved quite a bit after the booster replacement.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1neeto:
Chucksrt (01-14-24), dougaliscious (01-16-24)
Old 01-08-24, 04:07 AM
Clutchless

That is good to know because I get mediocre mileage. I need to take mine to the dealer and see if it needs a booster. I just get strange brake noises off and on. Nothing like the pads make.
Old 01-15-24, 01:56 AM
1neeto
Driver

That is good to know because I get mediocre mileage. I need to take mine to the dealer and see if it needs a booster. I just get strange brake noises off and on. Nothing like the pads make.
I highly advise that you get it scanned first and be sure one of the codes is active. Lexus will charge you for diagnostics and not do the repair if the brake booster code is not active.

Last edited by 1neeto; 01-17-24 at 03:02 AM.
Old 01-15-24, 04:20 AM
Clutchless

Thanks for the tip. I will do that.