GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

•• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-22, 04:13 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
That’s quite disappointing. Toyota is really missing a great opportunity. They are supposed to be gearing up for an electric lineup by what 2030? They need to get busy and start doing more PHEVs to slowly convert their customer base. A V6 TT just seems like a waste.

I’ll never be a hybrid or EV convert. When the switch happens that those are my only options with Lexus I’ll look elsewhere. Those types of vehicles just don’t appeal to me where I live with our winters.
The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (04-23-22)
Old 04-23-22, 04:20 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 331 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by jlficken
I’ll never be a hybrid or EV convert. When the switch happens that those are my only options with Lexus I’ll look elsewhere. Those types of vehicles just don’t appeal to me where I live with our winters.
I can appreciate that. Personally I believe in free market choice so in my dream world all drivetrains would be an option—including a V8 option. I hate being forced to buy a drivetrain or take “regulated” safety tech I do not want. Let the consumer decide what they want. With that said if a V6 TT is the only choice for the next GX I’m out.
Piney1 (04-23-22)
Old 04-24-22, 08:49 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 317 Likes on 215 Posts

I don't fetishize the V8. As long as it is reliable, I would LOVE a plug in hybrid if it comes in the next gen. Best of both worlds. Get energy for low efficiency city driving off of the grid (or home solar), and for long haul trips get the convenience of gas. Plus smooth and plentiful torque from the augmented electric motor. Once my '07 IS250 craps out, I will prob replace it with one (hopefully not for a few years).
MrTorgue (04-24-22)
Old 04-28-22, 11:18 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
I can appreciate that. Personally I believe in free market choice so in my dream world all drivetrains would be an option—including a V8 option. I hate being forced to buy a drivetrain or take “regulated” safety tech I do not want. Let the consumer decide what they want. With that said if a V6 TT is the only choice for the next GX I’m out.
I got you covered, found your next GX
http://www.usspecialtyvehicles.com/gx
MrTorgue (04-29-22)
Old 04-28-22, 02:03 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 3rd Gen 🧐

This is my first ever GX460 but I’m interested to see what Lexus will come up with.

Coming from an FJ cruiser -> Highlander -> 2022 Gx460 …I’m grateful 😁

Maybe a dual exhaust option?
Piney1 (04-28-22)
Old 04-28-22, 03:43 PM
gladerider
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Piney1
This is a great thread, lots of information. I’ve always been a huge fan of the Corvette. Recall when the 300Z twin-turbo came out? You’ll rarely see them on the road today but the V8 in the ‘Vette still keeps plugging along. The Supra? How many of those do you see? The new ones non withstanding, the turbo cars do not age well because (my hunch) is that the turbo motors do not last. Too much pressure and too much complexity.

I bought 35 or 38 F150 4x4s with the 5.0 between 2019 and 2020. Got the 5.0 because you can’t kill them but Ford is trying hard. That fuel efficiency programming is killing the motors. Also have roughly 100 Tahoes with the bulletproof 5,3 - can’t kill them UNLESS you do not turn off the cylinder deactivation. That gem of a CAFE dream fries the motors inside of 120k. My job, we run the Tahoes and will run the F150s to at least 200k and still sell them for decent money. Call me a skeptic but a turbo won’t do that.

What I do not see are high mileage turbo cars. High mileage hybrid is cool but not turbo. I’ve rented a Prius and drove it like MrTorgue did, still got 56 mpg. Thankfully I was out of state and nobody recognized in it! I’d have a hybrid V6 all day long but not a turbo. Only way to have a turbo is also the only way to have a Mercedes, BMW or Land Rover and that is to LEASE it. I know that Lexus is phenomenal at reliability and really hope they go the hybrid / normally aspirated route. Just my .02
i agree with you

i am being told by toyota mechanics that their turbo engines are pretty reliable. so time will tell how reliable the V35A-FTS will turnout to be
turbo technology did come a long way though. i have a V8TT MB truck with 130k on the clock and so far no turbo issue. these engines typically don't die because of turbos but because of bad cylinder walls using silitec coating. the newer german 4.0 V8TT engines in MB and Porsches are fine engines turning out to be pretty reliable. prolly not million mile engines though like LS1 or 1URFE
Piney1 (04-28-22)
Old 04-28-22, 04:41 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Originally Posted by gladerider
i agree with you

i am being told by toyota mechanics that their turbo engines are pretty reliable. so time will tell how reliable the V35A-FTS will turnout to be
turbo technology did come a long way though. i have a V8TT MB truck with 130k on the clock and so far no turbo issue. these engines typically don't die because of turbos but because of bad cylinder walls using silitec coating. the newer german 4.0 V8TT engines in MB and Porsches are fine engines turning out to be pretty reliable. prolly not million mile engines though like LS1 or 1URFE
I guess if it is just the turbo that fails after a reasonable mileage and it isn't a huge hassle/cost to replace it, then maybe so what?
Old 04-28-22, 07:22 PM
gladerider
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
I guess if it is just the turbo that fails after a reasonable mileage and it isn't a huge hassle/cost to replace it, then maybe so what?
exactly. so what. some turbo issues. but Piney1's point is that he hasn't seen these recent engines with turbos lasting long. i have not heard or seen turbo engines with longevity like 1URFE or 3URFE either.
some MB engines were legendary. a few million mile engines but they don't make them anymore. i mean they still make great engines but not million mile engines. IMHO, these URFE engines maybe the last few legendary ICE V8s we will see in production in our lifetime based on what's going on around the world. which is the reason why i just picked up a 22 GX. high output V6 TTs don't cut it for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by gladerider:
Classic911 (05-25-23), Piney1 (04-29-22)
Old 04-29-22, 02:16 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

I had looked at the replacement turbo item before I had ordered the F150s with the 5.0 motors. Apparently nowadays you can buy a whole replacement turbo from Ford or from other places. Presumably, the case will be the same for the Toyotas. I’m no mechanic but just don’t see any great longevity coming out of something so high pressured. A hybrid assist with the same 4.6 might be a nice thing to have but would the cost negate the fuel savings? Doubtful.

https://www.industrialinjection.com/...charger-right/
Old 04-29-22, 05:13 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

I got you covered, found your next GX
http://www.usspecialtyvehicles.com/gx
Pfft, I wish. A lot of coin right there!

Originally Posted by FastTurtle
This is my first ever GX460 but I’m interested to see what Lexus will come up with.

Coming from an FJ cruiser -> Highlander -> 2022 Gx460 …I’m grateful 😁

Maybe a dual exhaust option?
Don’t bother doing anything to the exhaust past the headers. The GX is a big ‘ole resonance chamber and it’ll drone drone drone. Focus on more important things.
Old 04-29-22, 06:46 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 370 Likes on 207 Posts

Having owned a number of turbo cars I see that there are two main reliability issues.
1) the turbocharger itself adds an additional component that is working at extreme temperatures and speed. These add another component that can fail.
2) The increased power output of turbo engines places higher stresses and loads on internal engine components; pistons, rods, bearings crankshaft, etc. These higher loads will increase wear and increase the chances of wear which results in decreased engine life.

After owning turbo cars, no thank you, I will stick to the reliability and longevity of the 1UR V8
The following 2 users liked this post by IanG:
gladerider (04-29-22), MrTorgue (04-29-22)
Old 04-29-22, 08:47 AM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Don’t bother doing anything to the exhaust past the headers. The GX is a big ‘ole resonance chamber and it’ll drone drone drone. Focus on more important things. [/QUOTE]

Copy that! The dual exhaust comment was a wishful thinking on the 3rd gen. I’m not planning on doing any exhaust modification.
Old 04-29-22, 10:08 AM
mwike
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jlficken
I'm genuinely curious about why the winters have an impact on PHEV's. We live at 9,500ft in Colorado so experience cold & snow. We have a PHEV Wrangler and like it so far. I'm not one who tries to make folks agree with my decisions, but I am curious about the negatives relating to weather in your mind.

Maybe the instantaneous torque? Last winter there were two or three times where I switched to gas only to get a bit more traction when leaving a stop. This is the only negative we've experienced & was easily overcome.
Old 04-29-22, 11:49 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Originally Posted by mwike
I'm genuinely curious about why the winters have an impact on PHEV's. We live at 9,500ft in Colorado so experience cold & snow. We have a PHEV Wrangler and like it so far. I'm not one who tries to make folks agree with my decisions, but I am curious about the negatives relating to weather in your mind.

Maybe the instantaneous torque? Last winter there were two or three times where I switched to gas only to get a bit more traction when leaving a stop. This is the only negative we've experienced & was easily overcome.
PHEV/EV’s work just fine in winters, even up to 10k feet. You’re high up in CO so you know it’s mostly about tires and driving style for winter. For example my RAV4 Prime is excellent in high altitude winter. I don’t get why Toyota is going towards turbos when they have a VERY RELIABLE and proven PHEV system. They’re the leaders in HV tech and with how great my RAV4 Prime is great at PHEVs. It makes ZERO sense to go the turbo route, especially since they (Toyota) are trying to go full EV pretty soon.
Old 04-29-22, 02:14 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mwike

Last year we had a solid week of -25F days. I just don't see the point of spending the money on something like a PHEV or EV with the cost of battery pack replacements, lack of cold weather performance (reduced capacity due to cold and heating the vehicle and battery pack), lack of hot weather performance, initial cost, lack of available charging stations where I live, and overall inability of manufacturers to make them where they won't catch on fire semi-regularly.

I also don't want to be sitting on top of a 1500lb lithium "bomb" while driving down the road. Lithium fires are nasty and a new form of battery needs to be developed before I will trust any PHEV/EV/Hybrid.

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion