headlight washer

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-18, 12:30 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb headlight washer

Hi guys, just a quick thing:

1) At night time, if i want to rinse off my windshield, i pull the handle to spray the windshield and it automatically does the headlight wash as well. I figured this only happens when my headlights are ON, because if at night i turn them off, i can wash the windshield without automatically triggering the headlight wash as well. Now is there an option to turn it off, meaning when the headlights are turned on at night and i want to wash the windshield, i can pull the handle to wash it without it automatically washing the headlights. It just sucks when i wash the car and then something gets on the windshield so i want to rinse it off and then the headlight washer sprays the entire bumper/hood with blue liquid, leaves marks on a black car.

2) i want to clean the roof of the car ( strictly interior, cloth ceiling) what product would you recommend to do so if any of you have cleaned your.

TIA
Old 05-14-18, 01:06 PM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Yurka, I cann't comment on #1 because I didn't even know that windshield washer and headlight washer work hand in hand. However, I'll take a stab at #2 though. It might sound counterintuitive but I've been using scrubbing bubbles for years to clean car interior (leather stains, headliners, carpet, etc.). It does a very good job of spot treatment. It is also harmless to the interior.
Old 05-14-18, 01:32 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,565 Likes on 2,335 Posts

I'm not aware of a way to cancel that option out. There is only the switch to manually run the headlight washers at any time.

Old 05-14-18, 02:51 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Yurka
Hi guys, just a quick thing:

1) At night time, if i want to rinse off my windshield, i pull the handle to spray the windshield and it automatically does the headlight wash as well. I figured this only happens when my headlights are ON, because if at night i turn them off, i can wash the windshield without automatically triggering the headlight wash as well. Now is there an option to turn it off, meaning when the headlights are turned on at night and i want to wash the windshield, i can pull the handle to wash it without it automatically washing the headlights. It just sucks when i wash the car and then something gets on the windshield so i want to rinse it off and then the headlight washer sprays the entire bumper/hood with blue liquid, leaves marks on a black car.

2) i want to clean the roof of the car ( strictly interior, cloth ceiling) what product would you recommend to do so if any of you have cleaned your.

TIA
You can not cancel that function. However, the way it works only operate once when you have headlight on when you first washed the windshield. If it is something that you wanted to avoid absolutely, when headlights were on, the first time that you operate the washing, you can simply tap the windshield washing very quickly which actually didn't activate the fluid pump but will registered as done the "first time", any subsequent washing cycles will not activate the headlights washing as long as the headlight has not been turned off. If you really wanted it to be disabled, just unplug the two washer harness behind the grill near the washer nozzles.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (05-14-18)
Old 10-09-18, 08:35 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Angry hate this feature!!!

Originally Posted by Yurka
It just sucks when i wash the car and then something gets on the windshield so i want to rinse it off and then the headlight washer sprays the entire bumper/hood with blue liquid, leaves marks on a black car.
Absolutely infuriating and a horrible design. I detested it on my GS350 and now on my new GX460. I got bug splatter on my windshield and when I went to use the windshield spray/wash, the headlight spray went all over my hood. My newly washed hood. Needless to say, it left spots everywhere. INCLUDING THE (*#*@! HEADLIGHTS. Seriously???
Old 10-10-18, 03:15 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

This probably would kill all functionality but wonder if removal of this (A32) relay would prevent auto function but still allow the use of the manual button if desired. Not sure yet where that relay is at

There is also pulling the fuse from engine relay block for total deactivation. #25

Last edited by Acrad; 10-10-18 at 03:24 AM.
RoadDawg (10-22-19)
Old 10-10-18, 03:30 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Relay looks like it drives the headlight washers directly so would appear to kill all functionality. If someone wants to deactivate headlight washers entirely the fuse removal would be the way to go.

nuclearn8 (10-22-19)
Old 10-10-18, 05:03 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Relay looks like it drives the headlight washers directly so would appear to kill all functionality. If someone wants to deactivate headlight washers entirely the fuse removal would be the way to go.

If may stop the washing function entirely, but also possible to generate a error code and display on the cluster (not sure) since it does connect to Main Body ECU. Personally, I am not particularly dislike that function, if I need to wash my windshield at night which triggers headlight washing, it's OK for me and it probably need to have a little clean anyway......
Old 10-10-18, 05:45 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

i am fine with them too.. saw benefit in snow/ice last winter. One could visibly see increased light output while driving when ice/snow on headlights was melted by headlight washer
Old 10-10-18, 12:22 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

We don't get snow / ice down here, at least not more than once every few years. We do get a lot of bugs, especially as the weather turns warm/hot after 3 days of winter.

Now if my headlights are so covered by bugs that I need to wash them, I may have another issue to deal with

I suppose if I'm going off-road in mud it could come in handy... but again that may occur less than ice/snow here.
Old 10-20-19, 09:33 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Old 10-20-19, 10:23 AM
John00
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 275 Posts

theres good reasons they have it like that. one could be alignment to interpretations of certain reguirements, another could be so they dont melt the housing if you have HID. certain areas that have darker soil can have buildup on the housing then the beam melts the housing. ive seen it.

if i was interested to disable the autowashing feature i would try to disconnect the black wire #5 between the headlight cleaner control relay and the windshield wiper switch assembly.
it appears that with this wire disconnected between FRWA#5 at relay and WF#2 at switch, that the circuit is still there for the button to work but that the windshield washer will not trigger the headlight cleaner.
wont really know if this works (depends on relay internals) or discover any errors until it is tried.

nuclearn8 (10-22-19)
Old 10-22-19, 05:14 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 581 Likes on 352 Posts

I loath the headlight washer. seems like a "luxury" feature that no one asked for.... not to mention spraying window wash fluid all over your paint job.... I never use any of the sprayers... because if the they're not ruining the hood paint, they're ruining your roof paint.
Just clean the glass and headlights at gas stops on road trips, lord knows they happen often enough with this guzzler
RoadDawg (10-22-19)
Old 10-22-19, 05:35 AM
LFC
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
I loath the headlight washer. seems like a "luxury" feature that no one asked for.... not to mention spraying window wash fluid all over your paint job.... I never use any of the sprayers... because if the they're not ruining the hood paint, they're ruining your roof paint.
Just clean the glass and headlights at gas stops on road trips, lord knows they happen often enough with this guzzler
I also live in Texas now and hardly ever used windshield or headlight washers, however when I lived in states that had snow and slush many months of the year a headlight washer would have been a welcome feature. Stopping at a gas station to clean your windshield and headlights every time a huge truck passes and sprays the entire front of your vehicle with muddy slush is not an option. In those areas this is a huge safety feature.
Old 10-22-19, 06:09 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LFC
I also live in Texas now and hardly ever used windshield or headlight washers, however when I lived in states that had snow and slush many months of the year a headlight washer would have been a welcome feature. Stopping at a gas station to clean your windshield and headlights every time a huge truck passes and sprays the entire front of your vehicle with muddy slush is not an option. In those areas this is a huge safety feature.

I couldn't get through the mountain passes without washers here where I live. The ability to melt snow off the headlights with the washers in a strong blizzard is nice as well.

Quick Reply: headlight washer