GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Music on USB drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-20, 06:13 PM
spavel
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Music on USB drive

Hi guys, I tried to search the forum, but could not find an answer. I dump my music library (only mp3s) to a usb memory stick (128Gb, but it’s about 3/4 full). I can play the music, but Browse button is disabled. Tried it on two short drives and same story. No luck with the browse. I can switch folders one by one using left and right buttons beside the folder name, but that’s extremely annoying. Is there a specific folder structure I should use or some other trick to enable browse button?
Old 09-20-20, 06:49 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by spavel
Hi guys, I tried to search the forum, but could not find an answer. I dump my music library (only mp3s) to a usb memory stick (128Gb, but it’s about 3/4 full). I can play the music, but Browse button is disabled. Tried it on two short drives and same story. No luck with the browse. I can switch folders one by one using left and right buttons beside the folder name, but that’s extremely annoying. Is there a specific folder structure I should use or some other trick to enable browse button?
If memory serves me correct, you need to make sure there are few limitation that you need to follow:
1. it needs to be in FAT32 format
2. name structure has to be no more of 8 characters
3. each folder can have no more than 99 files, same for root, no more than 99 files that includes folders
4. I thought 32GB (maybe 64GB) was the limitation
Old 09-20-20, 07:05 PM
spavel
Driver School Candidate

1. It is FAT32
2. It actually sees folder names over 8 characters. At least when it plays the music
3. Checked. Definitely less then 99
4. It can read my 128Gb

the only problem - there is no browse button...
also, when it plays the folder the songs are played in a weird order. Even when the random is off.
The following users liked this post:
hzhao (09-20-20)
Old 09-21-20, 04:51 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

1. It is FAT32
2. It actually sees folder names over 8 characters. At least when it plays the music
3. Checked. Definitely less then 99
4. It can read my 128Gb

also, when it plays the folder the songs are played in a weird order. Even when the random is off.
Is this still the case with the 2020/21 models? In other words, can you browse a USB MP3 device in a 2020 or 2021 model year GX? I'm uncertain but this may be discussed in the manual as well?
Old 09-22-20, 06:47 AM
MarkVII
Pit Crew

Received 95 Likes on 49 Posts

It can read my 128Gb

The more files (mp3s,) the longer it takes to read the USB, hence the longer for the BROWSE button to appear. I have about 60 Gb and it takes a solid 10 minutes for the BROWSE button to appear. This appears to also be the reason behind the weird order.
The following users liked this post:
sinistar (09-23-20)
Old 09-22-20, 07:56 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MarkVII
The more files (mp3s,) the longer it takes to read the USB, hence the longer for the BROWSE button to appear. I have about 60 Gb and it takes a solid 10 minutes for the BROWSE button to appear. This appears to also be the reason behind the weird order.
Ok, that makes more sense and that's a TON of music. I have about 15Gb so I'm looking at 2.5 minutes assuming a linear relationship with the indexing of the files. Do the files appear in alphabetic/numeric order once the indexing is done? Would it also be fair to say the indexing is ONLY done on the initial insertion of the drive or does it have to do that every time you start the vehicle? All my previous vehicles only index on the initial insertion so that would make sense to me.

Thanks again!
Old 09-22-20, 09:16 AM
spavel
Driver School Candidate

And the car does not store the list? So every time you turn it off it needs to read it again?
Old 09-22-20, 09:31 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

And the car does not store the list? So every time you turn it off it needs to read it again?
Yup, that's my question above on indexing of the files. I know all three of our vehicles index the drives after the initial insertion so I'd expect the GX behaves the same. It's probably in the manual too.
Old 09-23-20, 09:50 AM
penberth
Driver School Candidate

On my 2020 GX460, you can have up to 255 files in each folder. So what I did was create 5 folders named music1/music2/ etc... and put exactly 255 files in each. I have a 64GB stick, but it isn't full.

But like you said, find a specific song is a pain in the rear. So what I did was just put it on random 2, which picks any song in any folder. Then it just plays and usually doesn't repeat past songs for a while.

I know it doesn't answer all your questions, but that is how I set up music on USB and use it.
Old 09-23-20, 11:21 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by penberth
On my 2020 GX460, you can have up to 255 files in each folder. So what I did was create 5 folders named music1/music2/ etc... and put exactly 255 files in each. I have a 64GB stick, but it isn't full.

But like you said, find a specific song is a pain in the rear. So what I did was just put it on random 2, which picks any song in any folder. Then it just plays and usually doesn't repeat past songs for a while.

I know it doesn't answer all your questions, but that is how I set up music on USB and use it.
So there's no way to browse by Artist, Genre, Song? Can you at least browse the folder? How about creating a playlist? I know my wife's 4 year old car can do all those things but my 10 year old vehicle can do none of them.
Old 09-23-20, 11:55 AM
MarkVII
Pit Crew

Received 95 Likes on 49 Posts

In my experience, that is the case. Welcome to the 460's decade old tech.
Old 09-23-20, 11:58 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

In my experience, that is the case. Welcome to the 460's decade old tech.
Ouch, and that's for the 2020+ models too?
Old 09-23-20, 12:00 PM
penberth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by L3xusGX
So there's no way to browse by Artist, Genre, Song? Can you at least browse the folder? How about creating a playlist? I know my wife's 4 year old car can do all those things but my 10 year old vehicle can do none of them.
No, there is a way you can browse by artist, song, etc, but if I remember correctly, it only searches in the current folder you are in. So if you are in folder 1, and the song you are looking for is in folder 2, it won't show. I believe this is the way it works. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Old 09-23-20, 02:08 PM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by penberth
No, there is a way you can browse by artist, song, etc, but if I remember correctly, it only searches in the current folder you are in. So if you are in folder 1, and the song you are looking for is in folder 2, it won't show. I believe this is the way it works. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Bummer, but I appreciate the confirmation either way. I believe you have a 2020 model so that answers my question about the latest and greatest.
Old 09-23-20, 03:47 PM
spavel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by L3xusGX
You can browse by song, artist, album... but it's weird and I did not figure out how it works. Maybe by ID3 tags and they are not all properly done for my music

Quick Reply: Music on USB drive