GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Replacing only 1 Tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-19, 08:05 PM
Smohler2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacing only 1 Tire

Hi, I am new here so bear with me. I have a 2015 GX 460. I have a set of tires that measure between 7/32 and 8/32. I recently damaged a tire and the store told me that because of the AWD I need to buy 4 tires. I called a mechanic and the local Lexus dealer who told me that as long as the tread on the old tires were not less than 1/2 of the new tire, that I would be OK. They also told me to place the new tire on the passenger rear. The new tire is 12/32 so not more than 1/2. But, most of what I have read on the internet sides with the tore shop. Who is right? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Smohler2k; 09-19-19 at 08:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Richie7 (09-20-19)
Old 09-19-19, 09:54 PM
Bober
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look for used tires same brand as you have now. They sell almost new tires in 1/5 -1/3 of the price. +$5-10 for installing and balancing. But you will need to change 2 tires otherwise it will be difference in depth therefore car will be unstable when braking or in slippery road.
I just spent $150 (incl. Install and balancing) for two bridgestown stock tires in almost new condition.
Remaining good tire you can save as spare one. I don't know what kind of mechanic would recommend to change just 1 tire...
Richie7 (09-20-19)
Old 09-19-19, 10:17 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 989 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Smohler2k
Hi, I am new here so bear with me. I have a 2015 GX 460. I have a set of tires that measure between 7/32 and 8/32. I recently damaged a tire and the store told me that because of the AWD I need to buy 4 tires. I called a mechanic and the local Lexus dealer who told me that as long as the tread on the old tires were not less than 1/2 of the new tire, that I would be OK. They also told me to place the new tire on the passenger rear. The new tire is 12/32 so not more than 1/2. But, most of what I have read on the internet sides with the tore shop. Who is right? Thanks in advance.
Outside of the AWD consideration ... always replace tires in pairs ...on the same axle ... given it is important that both tires behave the same, especially in an emergency maneuver.
Richie7 (09-20-19)
Old 09-19-19, 10:44 PM
Smohler2k
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I wasn't clear. The mechanic didn't recommend that I change only one tire. He just said that it wouldn't be a danger to the transfer case or differential if I only changed one. Lexus said the same.
The following 2 users liked this post by Smohler2k:
Richie7 (09-20-19), RoadDawg (12-13-19)
Old 09-20-19, 02:12 AM
Richie7
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great post! I recently had one bad tire but was told I would have to replace all 4. But I did have 40 k on those Michelins which were from factory. They could have been more than 1/2 of the tread of a new one with that many miles on them. Nothing was said about comparing the tread to a new one. I wish I would have seen this a couple of months ago!
Old 09-20-19, 06:44 AM
Smohler2k
Driver School Candidate

Just to update. I talked to a different Lexus Tech. This time factory direct. He said that German made AWD drive cars are notorious for the problems the tire shop described. But, that Lexus vehicles are not that sensitive and while I may experience a slight pull until the new tire wears down a bit, I am perfectly safe replacing only one.
ch99tj (12-14-23)
Old 09-20-19, 11:40 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

You really haven't given us enough information to give you a proper answer, but the German/Lexus difference is ridiculous.

Will you be replacing with the identical tire?
What is the date code on your current tires?
How many miles are on your tires?

Here are a few considerations

A tire is considered legally worn at 2/32nds, but in actuality, a tire is no longer safe in wet weather.
Your single solitary tire will always have 5/32nds more tread than your other three tires. As your other tires get closer to 4/32nds, the grip on that on that one tire will be different.
If you change only one tire, then you'll need to change 3 tires in a couple of years. A year or so later you'll have to change one tire.

While your car won't blow up if you only get one tire, your handling may be compromised in iffy conditions (where you need it most) but it is also fiscally unsound.

If you buy two tires then you'll always have a matched pair and, with proper rotation, you'll not need to change tires for a long time.
Old 09-20-19, 12:07 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Can you just use your spare on one and get one replacement the move the worn tire to the spare location? I would replace a pair instead of just 1 tire if the spare isn't a match.
The following 2 users liked this post by bbqsoup:
Soap (09-21-19), SteveInCal (09-23-19)
Old 12-12-19, 12:33 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,566 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Old 12-13-19, 07:10 AM
RoadDawg
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You can have tires shaved last I looked, which was years ago. I was told--and this was on a 2003 Honda Element in about 2010--that 1/32 inch is the limit their shop recommended for tire depth difference if they were to replace just one or two tires. They offered to shave a couple of new ones. Instead, I just bought a whole new set at the time. Tires are critical. We ignore them too much.
Old 12-13-19, 11:49 AM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadDawg
Tires are critical. We ignore them too much.
amen to this.

But to the OP, I think there is good advice here for replacing, at minimum, two tires at a time.

Interesting comment you were told about German AWD systems. I have an older (2007) AWD BMW 530 and I had some strange stability/handling issues when I only replaced two tires instead of all four. In more stressful driving situation (e.g cornering at higher speeds) I would sometimes experience the traction control activating at odd times and actually making the car feel less stable. These issues went away completely when I replaced the other two tires. Perhaps the electronic systems in some makes/models are more sensitive to different tread depths.
Old 12-13-19, 11:57 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

If it was my GX, I'd either replace one tire, or run the spare, and then buy 4 new tires when the other 3 were finally ready.
Old 12-13-19, 01:47 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,566 Likes on 2,336 Posts

The viscous-coupling based & all mechanical AWD system (Borg Warner 4404) I had in an old Ford Explorer ('96 5.0L) would ultimately fail if mismatched tread depths were used. Mine was always reliable but lots of reports of failed units. A different setup of course than the GX but just an example where even mechanical systems can be affected.
Old 12-13-19, 08:28 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 989 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Smohler2k
Just to update. I talked to a different Lexus Tech. This time factory direct. He said that German made AWD drive cars are notorious for the problems the tire shop described. But, that Lexus vehicles are not that sensitive and while I may experience a slight pull until the new tire wears down a bit, I am perfectly safe replacing only one.
... perfectly safe until an emergency maneuver. Cost of a new tire vs. insurance deductible ... your choice ... and that's assuming no one gets hurt or even worse.

At least put your mismatched pair on the front.

Old 12-14-19, 05:18 AM
John00
Racer

Received 363 Likes on 277 Posts

cheapest and easiest to shave the one.
if replacing 2, put the new ones on the back. with the software, might not be as big of an issue, but still is safer.

Quick Reply: Replacing only 1 Tire