GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460 Roof Rails Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-22, 06:55 AM
capn2000
9th Gear

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are some quick shots from my test fit of the Blackline Crossbars over the weekend. Still need to tweak the left-to-right orientation and add the final short trim pieces to the underside of the bars where they extend beyond the mounts. Wind noise was not as bad as expected, and not noticeable with radio at normal volume.

The following 5 users liked this post by capn2000:
AlexDev (01-17-23), darkoozy (01-17-23), nyctfl (06-29-22), SCOFF82 (09-21-23), Siblue (01-06-23)
Old 05-04-22, 10:06 AM
308guru
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

I just wanted to follow up with a big thumbs up for Dave at Japan4x4. I ordered the parts from Jacket's original list and everything worked out perfectly. Packing was perfect, and shipping was quick (although it was "lost" at at a DHL hub for a few days).

I skipped ordering the bolts and reused the originals to save some coin. The "sealant" on the bolts mentioned previously isn't sealant, it's threadlocker. I didn't apply the Permatex glass sealer either as there are foam washers already applied to the bottom of the new rails intended just for this purpose.

I did have a little trouble getting one of the rear covers to snap on correctly. Two of the hooks that secure the cover to the rail didn't want to drop into their mating catch and kept the cover pushed out a bit. As I was trying to wrestle the cover on and get it to hook, the whole thing popped off, tearing two of the very small plastic hooks off. It's holding for now but I'm ordering a replacement cover. Just a word of caution for others.
Old 06-29-22, 02:45 PM
WEBOPS
10th Gear

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

That setup looks great. Could you furnish all the part numbers? or should I contact Toyotadxb and they will know what I need?

Thanks!
Old 11-12-22, 08:00 AM
gregGX
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by capn2000
Here are some quick shots from my test fit of the Blackline Crossbars over the weekend. Still need to tweak the left-to-right orientation and add the final short trim pieces to the underside of the bars where they extend beyond the mounts. Wind noise was not as bad as expected, and not noticeable with radio at normal volume.

Sorry to bump an old post, I have this same set up on my new GX, and I'm wondering what cargo carrying accessories there are for these cross bars? I'm looking to carry an Oztent on top, as I think I've given up on the rooftop tent direction (seems like a lot of possible headaches). I'm wondering if the Yakima LockNLoad box would fit on these cross bars? Or if there is some type of mount that adds a place to put an o-ring (https://yakima.com/products/universa...mount-set-of-4) in a spot - I just don't know who makes these cross bars and what actually works with them. The nearest rack shop is two hours away, so I'd prefer to not make that drive unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 01-06-23, 11:04 AM
Tater
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to all of you for the pictures and thoughts posted on this thread! It was very helpful for us to decide on the right roof rack for us for our 2022 GX 460. We chose a rack from Gamiviti and picked it up last summer. A combination of things (subjective) made this the right choice for us: low profile, bespoke details including cut-out for sunroof with removable panel, welded frame asot 'erector set' assembly, steel asot aluminum, large and flat to carry lumber/plywood and positive feedback from other owners of Gamiviti roof racks. Working with Tim from pre-order through installation was a pleasure. We opted for on site installation when passing through Colorado (always looking for an excuse to visit the Rockies). Tim's website had tips for adapting our Yakima cargo carrying accessories to the rack. Thumbs up for the whole experience.

Last edited by Tater; 01-06-23 at 12:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (01-06-23)
Old 01-17-23, 08:40 AM
AlexDev
Pit Crew

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by capn2000

Bump bump… anyone happen to know the part #s for both the rails and crossbars? Love this look
Old 01-19-23, 11:50 AM
poohlo0
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default This may be helpful

Originally Posted by AlexDev
Bump bump… anyone happen to know the part #s for both the rails and crossbars? Love this look

I hope this helps. I didn’t want to spend that much on the blackline rails. If I was going to do that I might as well get the overland roof rack. So I went ahead and got Prado Roof Rails off Amazon. There’s one or 2 things I don’t like but overall I satisfied. Total was around $300.

Old 02-06-23, 10:36 AM
capn2000
9th Gear

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for the slow reply. I also purchased Prado 150 rails from Alibaba. If you search for my previous posts, you should be able to find the link I had.

As far as the cross bars, they are the OEM Lexus Blackline crossbars. Here is a link to one place to find them, it includes the part number so you can look for better deals elsewhere. I still ove the setup.

https://www.lexuspartsoutlet.com/oem...rea-pzq3060205
Old 02-06-23, 05:22 PM
PR4DO
9th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by poohlo0

I hope this helps. I didn’t want to spend that much on the blackline rails. If I was going to do that I might as well get the overland roof rack. So I went ahead and got Prado Roof Rails off Amazon. There’s one or 2 things I don’t like but overall I satisfied. Total was around $300.

Do you have a link to the ones you got off amazon?
Old 02-10-23, 06:11 AM
poohlo0
Driver School Candidate

Default Roof Rack - Amazon Prado Rails

Originally Posted by PR4DO
Do you have a link to the ones you got off amazon?
Amazon Amazon

I got these which came with the crossbars. The crossbars did not fit which I complained and got $100 refunded. This actually worked out as I wasn't planning on using the crossbars anyways. Just a reminder to all who's planning on doing this mod, you'll need the rubber spacers on your roof drip moulding from the dealer.
Old 02-10-23, 06:40 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 369 Likes on 206 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got these which came with the crossbars. The crossbars did not fit ......
Not sure if this is why the bars didn't fit but when installed the side rails taper towards the back (the rails are closer together at the back of the vehicle).
When installing the crossbars on the flush rails you need to install them closer to the front then slide them towards the rear,also note on the flush model the crossbars are marked front & rear, they are different lengths.
The following users liked this post:
poohlo0 (04-18-23)
Old 06-12-23, 08:33 AM
gx460thm
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got these which came with the crossbars. The crossbars did not fit which I complained and got $100 refunded. This actually worked out as I wasn't planning on using the crossbars anyways. Just a reminder to all who's planning on doing this mod, you'll need the rubber spacers on your roof drip moulding from the dealer.
Did your Rack come with install instructions. Have the parts now but instructions were lacking. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance
Old 06-12-23, 10:19 AM
poohlo0
Driver School Candidate

Default I used this as a reference.

Originally Posted by gx460thm
Did your Rack come with install instructions. Have the parts now but instructions were lacking. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance

let me know if you have any other questions. Make sure you use Permatex. Otherwise water will leak through the bolt holes
Old 06-12-23, 12:59 PM
gx460thm
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks much for the share. I will inventory the bolts that came with it to match with video. Did you acquire the black rubber tray components for in between the 3 fastening points? They may be already under the current factory rack but I'm guessing not.
Old 06-12-23, 03:23 PM
poohlo0
Driver School Candidate

Default Use the OG bolts

Originally Posted by gx460thm
Thanks much for the share. I will inventory the bolts that came with it to match with video. Did you acquire the black rubber tray components for in between the 3 fastening points? They may be already under the current factory rack but I'm guessing not.

I used the factory OG Lexus bolts. Should be 6 on each side. I also use Permatex windshield silicone instead of what was in the box. Make sure you take the opportunity to clean under the low rails once you take it off. Once you installed the raise rails you will notice you need the rubber black molding. I got mine from Bell Lexus. You will need 4 of them. 2 on each side. I’m the above post there should be a break down and part number for the molding. That molding may be what you mean when you said “tray”

Quick Reply: GX 460 Roof Rails Upgrade