GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460 Roof Rails Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-22, 10:57 AM
Bndsrf
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=mckeand13;11236349]Has anyone done an install using Yakima Landing Pad 30 & Skyline towers / Streamline bars? If so, it would be great to see some pics. There are some pics but they all show platforms, not bars.

I'm surprised (concerned?) that they only used 1 of the two bolt locations to hold each pad on.

Thanks.[

I am going in that direction. I will be using all the above. I have the landing pad 30's on order from Etrailer but are on back order. They aren't that easy to find. I am confident that this will be a great option. I need to locate another cross bar as that option uses 3 of them. I'm guessing you could get by with 2 but I will have a roof top tent and won't mind the extra support.
Old 02-28-22, 01:48 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

If anyone is in the Bay Area - San Jose, I have a set of black 4Runner rails that you can have.

I was thinking of swapping mine but will stay with the Yakima Towers instead. Stop by and pick them up.
Old 04-11-22, 12:37 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

All,

I read through the entire thread because the wife has a 22 Blackline GX and I was trying so hard to find a crossbar solution before the summer rolls around and we take some long trips. I finally was able to order a set of blackline cross bars - confirmed part number: PN PZQ30-60205. I got the cross bars from Lexuspartsoutlet.com and they shipped them pretty quickly! They sent me an email to ask for the VIN of the car (Lexus requires for all part sales apparently) and then shipped them out.

I had gone to my local dealership and the parts manager claimed "these parts never hit the USA since I can't see them in my system". A few lessons from ordering parts came from this: 1. It seems the dealers cannot see anything more than we can see on the parts.lexus.com website as they also show up as "not available" for them with no details and 2. I will take my chances and order parts myself after being told these cross bars did not exist when in fact they most certainly do, they're now on our truck!

I figured I'd add my addition here for anyone looking for these OEM cross bars like me and had the unfortunate timing of having a Blackline GX when Lexus USA parts decides to just eliminate some very crucial accessories (looking at you Lexus, where's our class IV trailer hitch???). Hope this helps! See below for the crossbars installed, they look great!

The following 5 users liked this post by lostape45:
AlexDev (01-19-23), BillWill87 (04-13-22), capn2000 (04-11-22), hionbusa (04-26-22), SCOFF82 (09-28-23)
Old 04-12-22, 08:04 AM
gladerider
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

hmmm. interesting. i didn't realize the 22 blackline version has a different roof rail than others.

has anyone tried to put the blackline cross bar on a regular rail?
Old 04-12-22, 09:14 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 369 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by gladerider
hmmm. interesting. i didn't realize the 22 blackline version has a different roof rail than others.

has anyone tried to put the blackline cross bar on a regular rail?
The blackline crossbar will not fit the flush roof rails of earlier models.
The flush rails clamp to channels on the inside of the rails, the blackline clamp on the outside of the rails.
Old 04-12-22, 10:09 AM
gladerider
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

i see that. i have a 22 non-blackline and it has a flush roof rail. i guees i am not going to order the blackline version.
Old 04-12-22, 10:31 AM
308guru
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lostape45
All,

I read through the entire thread because the wife has a 22 Blackline GX and I was trying so hard to find a crossbar solution before the summer rolls around and we take some long trips. I finally was able to order a set of blackline cross bars - confirmed part number: PN PZQ30-60205. I got the cross bars from Lexuspartsoutlet.com and they shipped them pretty quickly! They sent me an email to ask for the VIN of the car (Lexus requires for all part sales apparently) and then shipped them out.

I had gone to my local dealership and the parts manager claimed "these parts never hit the USA since I can't see them in my system". A few lessons from ordering parts came from this: 1. It seems the dealers cannot see anything more than we can see on the parts.lexus.com website as they also show up as "not available" for them with no details and 2. I will take my chances and order parts myself after being told these cross bars did not exist when in fact they most certainly do, they're now on our truck!

I figured I'd add my addition here for anyone looking for these OEM cross bars like me and had the unfortunate timing of having a Blackline GX when Lexus USA parts decides to just eliminate some very crucial accessories (looking at you Lexus, where's our class IV trailer hitch???). Hope this helps! See below for the crossbars installed, they look great!
You do realize that with those raised factory Blackline rails, crossbars from almost any manufacturer (Yakima, Thule, etc) would fit right on? Perhaps you wanted to stick with Lexus parts, but the raised rails open the options greatly.
Old 04-12-22, 10:44 AM
lostape45
Advanced

Originally Posted by mckeand13
You do realize that with those raised factory Blackline rails, crossbars from almost any manufacturer (Yakima, Thule, etc) would fit right on? Perhaps you wanted to stick with Lexus parts, but the raised rails open the options greatly.
We only wanted OEM parts on such a new vehicle. I realize there were plenty of other "solutions" but I've learned over the years nothing fits quite like OEM. Plus nobody seems to understand what parts fit a 2022 GX (I know they're the same, but blackline roof rails are not a USA part so it's much easier said than done finding parts that fit) but Yakima/Thule/etc doesn't list out any specific cross bars for these types of raised rails. Even still, there was very little information I was able to find on what crossbar feet these rails would need. All of these unanswered questions were much easier spent sourcing OEM rails knowing they'll fit perfectly, look great, and last a good amount of time on the brand new truck.
Old 04-17-22, 05:19 AM
capn2000
9th Gear

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently swapped out the roof rails on my 2018 GX460 for "Blackline style" raised roof rails meant for a Prado 150. I got them off of Alibab, but there are other threads about securing the rails. I knew it was risky, but I am very happy with the rails.

Real reason for the post is that Bell Lexus of North Scottsdale is having a 15% off accessories sale and free shipping over $100 until tomorrow, so I just placed an order for the Blackline Cross Bars for $204 shipped. Thought it would be a good time to order for others who are on the fence. The sale finally made me pull the trigger: https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsda...ZQ3060205.html
The following 2 users liked this post by capn2000:
DSMinATL (04-17-22), hionbusa (04-26-22)
Old 04-22-22, 03:10 PM
Bndsrf
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Yakima landing pad 30, Skyline towers, Jetstream Crossbars

The following 2 users liked this post by Bndsrf:
AlexDev (01-17-23), NiteDipper (04-22-22)
Old 04-23-22, 07:08 PM
montanagx
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 58Gemni
I have the Ridgeline towers, aero bars and a Thule box and it all works well.. plenty of clearance.. the rail clips are a little challenging to get adjusted but they work just fine.

Those look great, what clips or adaptor did you use below the Ridgeline Towers?
Old 04-24-22, 10:24 AM
JayPixelGX
Driver

Received 124 Likes on 46 Posts

Curious if you found the OEM part number for the roof rails for the black line edition? Currently running 4 runner rails and cross bars, which work well with Yakima tube system and for various other roof loading situations compared to the oem aerorails. Issue is i had to 3D print a cover for the both middle mounts as the 4runner rails do not have a mid section, I created a wat to attach a small tie down to pass through if needed.

. so Prado rails vs black line rails plus new crossbars or leave things alone , @lostape45 how do the crossbars sound at full speed?
Old 04-26-22, 08:23 AM
lostape45
Advanced

Originally Posted by JayPixelGX
@lostape45 how do the crossbars sound at full speed?
Full speed as in limiter or highway speeds? All jokes aside they're probably a good 20-25% more wind noise than the stock set up the car has (Blackline/Prado roof rails) at anything above 75mph. I would say they're pretty much unnoticeable below 65mph and it just gets progressively louder once you go faster at highway speeds.

I would assume you're ready to deal with a bit of added wind noise putting any roof rack/rails on your car, as we were, but honestly these have been some of the quietest cross bars I've ever run on a car. I'm also hyper aware/sensitive to noticing things like this and I guarantee that most people wouldn't even notice a difference. You could always go the route of getting a wind deflector to put on the front bar and I bet that would eliminate most of the additional wind noise.
Old 04-26-22, 05:19 PM
hionbusa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are they holding up for you?
The 22 rails from dealer are on back-order so need an alternative.

Originally Posted by jphowey
I cheaped out and got Fleabay ones....$184. Pleasantly surprised...they exceeded my expectations!

Decent quality and strength. I had no reservations about mounting my tent directing to them, just had to rotate rails on bottom of tent 90°.

However, if I had known of Blackline trim OEM option for $400, I might have opted for those.

Old 04-29-22, 05:33 AM
capn2000
9th Gear

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I ended up ordering my Prado 150 Roof rails through AliExpress. The finish on the rails and caps was a satin/matte finish which I was looking for. Holding up well, but I have only had them a little over a month. The seller confirmed the finish (even though only some of the pictures on the listing show that finish). I also put notes in my order confirming the finish I wanted.

Shipping was really quick to PA, I had them in less than a week after ordering.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...21ef1802hVR9N9

I will put the Blackline crossbars on this weekend to check fitment. Hoping it is an easy install, because I am likely NOT going to leave them installed all the time. Really only need them for our annual summer road trip.
The following users liked this post:
AlexDev (01-19-23)

Quick Reply: GX 460 Roof Rails Upgrade