Anyone Remove Cig Lighter Socket? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Anyone Remove Cig Lighter Socket?

Old 03-06-17, 06:16 PM   #1
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Default Anyone Remove Cig Lighter Socket?

I didnt see anyone mention this. The door & housing may just pull out and be held in with clips, but if anyone knows, I would appreciate it. I dont smoke, I want to remove the socket and install a flush mount single or dual USB port for charging phones , tablets, etc. Perfect place for it, no more "car chargers" tap into 2 wires and mount. USB mounts are like 10 bucks. Thanks.
DiabloX22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 08:55 PM   #2
JLee50
Rookie

I'm not sure, but this would be a lot easier:
Amazon Amazon

I threw mine in just to get a picture..just realized it's upside down, lol. Anyway, you can see how flush of a fit it is, and it's 2.4 amps in each outlet:

It works fine in the cigarette lighter outlet, too (again, upside down..oops):
JLee50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 09:29 PM   #3
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Those are the ones that just plug in, right? Yes those would be easier, but I don't want to go that route. I want a more professional finished product. The rectangular power source is where I am going to mount a rectangular flush mount for the USA Spec I am going to get. But thanks for the idea! If no one tells me how it comes out, maybe I will go that route!
Old 03-06-17, 09:30 PM   #4
JLee50
Rookie

Yeah, it just plugs in. Most 12v USB adapters stick out a lot farther than this one.

Make sure to post pics of your finished project - I'd like to see how it turns out!
JLee50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 09:52 AM   #5
khoality
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloX22 View Post
I didnt see anyone mention this. The door & housing may just pull out and be held in with clips, but if anyone knows, I would appreciate it. I dont smoke, I want to remove the socket and install a flush mount single or dual USB port for charging phones , tablets, etc. Perfect place for it, no more "car chargers" tap into 2 wires and mount. USB mounts are like 10 bucks. Thanks.
I had to repair mine coz it wasn't working and I did have to remove it. You'll have to remove the trim pieces to pop up the center console. Then you can pull up on the trim piece that houses cig and the 3 other buttons. You can then unplug the wires from under each button to free the whole piece. Sorry if it's not a very clear explanation. Let me know if you need help with it. Good luck!
khoality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to khoality For This Useful Post:
DiabloX22 (03-09-17)
Old 03-09-17, 02:43 PM   #6
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Thanks khoality, I might take you up on your offer when I get to it.