GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Windshield wipers go into intermittent mode when stopped?

Old 05-16-16, 08:50 AM
glassmanj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield wipers go into intermittent mode when stopped?

okay, to start i've disconnected my rain sensor so i do not have auto wipers, instead the wipers are intermittent when in the first, AUTO, position. with that being said....

when i was driving and had the LOW wiper position selected (not AUTO) and the wiper speed dial set to (-) , when the car comes to a stop or is parked, the LOW wipers switch to intermittent where they will pause in the (-) dial setting, for about 2.5 seconds. if the dial is set to (+) you do not notice this happening as the wipers re-engage too quickly. and then once you start moving again, the wipers return to the LOW setting and run continuously.

anyone else notice this? does it also happen when your rain sensor still works?

my guess is it's a luxury function so when you are nto moving, less rain hits the water, and you don't have to deal with wipers on a drier windshield making the low squeegee noise.
Old 05-16-16, 09:15 AM
yackowski
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm, I am intrigued by your disconnected rain sensor. I may have to give this a try myself.. My wipers essentially have Auto(crazy inconsistent), low and high. I find the auto mode super distracting and a somewhat waste of my $40 Bosch blades at times lol.
Old 05-16-16, 10:27 AM
glassmanj
Driver

Originally Posted by yackowski
Hmmm, I am intrigued by your disconnected rain sensor. I may have to give this a try myself.. My wipers essentially have Auto(crazy inconsistent), low and high. I find the auto mode super distracting and a somewhat waste of my $40 Bosch blades at times lol.
mine was actually broke when i bought it and had no auto or intermittent. saw on GX470 Secrets thread that disconnecting would result in intermittents. my wifes 2006 rx400h has both auto and int but my 470 doesn't. simply removed entire sensor and left wire hanging and love it now. much better
Old 05-16-16, 10:28 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

$40 blades? Get the refills at the dealer - only $20.

Mercedes has had that feature for a while - when you stop the wipers go into intermittent mode. Theirs will also cause a single wipe on the back glass if you put the car into reverse and the front wipers are already on.

Chip H.
Old 05-16-16, 01:25 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of cars slow the wipers when you come to a stop.
Old 05-16-16, 05:36 PM
burtoncr
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by glassmanj
mine was actually broke when i bought it and had no auto or intermittent. saw on GX470 Secrets thread that disconnecting would result in intermittents. my wifes 2006 rx400h has both auto and int but my 470 doesn't. simply removed entire sensor and left wire hanging and love it now. much better
Where is the sensor? I can't find much wrong with our GX except the annoying auto wiper setting. If I understand you correctly, once you unplug the sensor they act like normal intermittent wipers.
Old 05-17-16, 06:09 AM
MRG242
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by burtoncr
Where is the sensor? I can't find much wrong with our GX except the annoying auto wiper setting. If I understand you correctly, once you unplug the sensor they act like normal intermittent wipers.
Same question - where do you disconnect the sensor?

The cover was loose on mine (on the windshield behind the mirror) when I bought it and intermittent wipers nor auto worked at all. After reinstalling the cover, I now have the 'crazy' intermittent wiper action when on auto. I'd prefer it to operate based on the setting (+\-) rather than operating off the sensor.

Thanks if anyone can post the location!!

Mike
Old 05-17-16, 11:22 AM
glassmanj
Driver

the sensor is located on the windshield in front of the rear view mirror. black squarish/trapezoidal shaped thing with a black wire running into it. on the bottom area up against the window place your hands on both sides and there is an integrated clip that slides out to release the lock. then the whole sensor slides down the window and unhooks leaving a metal bracket stuck to the windshield

. here's a video of putting the piece back on where you can see him pull the clip away before he resets sensor then pushes the clip back to lock. just do it in reverse. simply unplug the wire. slide sensor back on to hook and press locking clip back in

Old 05-17-16, 11:33 AM
MRG242
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the sensor is located on the windshield in front of the rear view mirror. black squarish/trapezoidal shaped thing with a black wire running into it. on the bottom area up against the window place your hands on both sides and there is an integrated clip that slides out to release the lock. then the whole sensor slides down the window and unhooks leaving a metal bracket stuck to the windshield

. here's a video of putting the piece back on where you can see him pull the clip away before he resets sensor then pushes the clip back to lock. just do it in reverse. simply unplug the wire. slide sensor back on to hook and press locking clip back in

Replacing Rain Sensor Pad On A Lexus GX470 - YouTube
The cover was off mine when I bought it and the intermittent function didn't work at all. After reinstalling the cover it worked in the crazy mode. So, to get back to just regular ole intermittent mode, just unplug it at the sensor assembly. Cool! I'll give it a go. Thanks! Much appreciated, glassmanj
Old 05-19-16, 02:26 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

okay, to start i've disconnected my rain sensor so i do not have auto wipers, instead the wipers are intermittent when in the first, AUTO, position. with that being said....

when i was driving and had the LOW wiper position selected (not AUTO) and the wiper speed dial set to (-) , when the car comes to a stop or is parked, the LOW wipers switch to intermittent where they will pause in the (-) dial setting, for about 2.5 seconds. if the dial is set to (+) you do not notice this happening as the wipers re-engage too quickly. and then once you start moving again, the wipers return to the LOW setting and run continuously.

anyone else notice this? does it also happen when your rain sensor still works?

my guess is it's a luxury function so when you are nto moving, less rain hits the water, and you don't have to deal with wipers on a drier windshield making the low squeegee noise.
This behavior is normal on the GX as well as many other cars. My 1992 BMW did it.