GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

08 GX470 Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-13, 03:09 PM
wolf1216
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 GX470 Vibration

Hello everyone. My wife and I purchased a 2008 GX with 60K miles. The day we left the dealer we noticed a vibration at 70-80. We were recommended two tires which we had installed that day but that did not fix the problem. Those were Bridgestone tires. When I took it back in they told me that they were the Toyota version not Lexus and recommended I purchase two more but suggested I switch to Cooper as they said they were better tires.

I took the vehicle in to my friendly local Lexus dealer and informed them of the problem. They kept it for a couple days, performed a bulletin with the drive shaft. The vibration was still present so they said that one of the new tires had a sidewall stiffness of 37, which signifies a bad tire. They stated they went over the vehicle and they could not find any issue except for the tires.

I called the store manager at Discount Tire and he agreed to take a look and replace the tire. They claim they put on 12 different tires and they still felt it. He suggested stepping up to a Michelin which is one of the best tires, so I agreed. I just got a call that the shake is stll there. They road force balanced it (this is the 4th one now) and checked all of the rims which had no sign of problem.

I am at my wits end. My Lexus dealer doesn't want to see it again, but this shake is driving me nuts. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas of anything I can try? I love this truck except for this annoying problem.
Old 04-13-13, 11:13 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Congrats on your GX purchase. And I am really sorry to hear about the vibration. Lets get it Step by step.
1. Firstly you mentioned vibration , could you give me a exact nature of when it is felt. And does the steering also vibrate along.
2. What speed is it felt.

To me it does not look a tire issue. will come to that later, as you have already done a detailed inspection by Lexus.
let us know we could take it from there.
Note: You got a beautiful truck ( best know ever Lexus SUV for its reliability and off course small issues ) and I am sure this is a miniscule issue which can be sorted.
Old 04-14-13, 07:00 AM
wolf1216
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the reply. The vibration is right around 70-75 driving on the highway. I feel it in the steering wheel but my sons childseat in the back rattles too. The tech was able to feel it in the seat, and the manager at Discount Tire was baffled, but said that "the vehicle just isn't smooth, it feels rough."

I love this truck. I traded my SC430 when my son was born 2 years ago, and traded in a 2007 ES on this.
Old 04-14-13, 08:49 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Originally Posted by wolf1216
Thank you for the reply. The vibration is right around 70-75 driving on the highway. I feel it in the steering wheel but my sons childseat in the back rattles too. The tech was able to feel it in the seat, and the manager at Discount Tire was baffled, but said that "the vehicle just isn't smooth, it feels rough."

I love this truck. I traded my SC430 when my son was born 2 years ago, and traded in a 2007 ES on this.
If there is any way you can manage it, try 4 new rims. I'm not suggesting you go buy 4 new rims, but if you have a friend with the same vehicle or if Lexus will lend you 4 for a road test.

I had the most annoying vibration on one of my BMW's and no one could diagnose it until one garage thought it might be the rim. Changed all 4 and vibrations went away. Eventually found the bad one and replaced it.

A vibration is a pain. You drive the vehicle every day so you feel it but for some reason, some others just don't sense it. Stick to your guns and keep trying. You'll eventually find a good garage/mechanic that will fix you up.

Good luck and keep us posted. Problems like this are often corrected but no one ever posts the fix.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 04-15-13, 01:28 AM
mann777

Ok wolf now that you have told us the problem, the issue lies at the Driveline & differential. Most of the GX models from 2004-2008 had this issue.
What I need you to do is taken out the Service report of your GX from the Dealer and check if a TSB DL001-08 has been carried out. Do not mention to them, but you need to check& verify this. If this has not been carried out. Goto the dealer back and tell them to carry out the TSB task . The reference number is mentioned above. The job is a long job by the dealer. if you had to do it, it will cost you a lot along with manhours involved.
Thiscan be done by the dealer if you are covered under the Powertrain Warranty - 70,000 miles
And I see you are so far covered 60K. Goodluck
Post me your email address, will have the TSB forwarded to you.
Cheers
Old 04-15-13, 05:09 AM
wolf1216
Driver School Candidate

I think they performed this TSB last time I had it in there. This might be a rookie question, but how can I tell if this has been done? ::edit- I will get the service report from the dealer::

My email is alexwolf1216 at geemail.
Old 04-15-13, 05:47 AM
wolf1216
Driver School Candidate

That bulletin was performed at my request in January of this year.
Old 04-15-13, 11:49 AM
Crispy3M
Driver

While I'm no expert and I'm pretty sure Man777 is, take the link below with a grain of salt. It's a pretty good write up (Not Mine) and it might be a good place to start.

Again, with the high speed vibration you have, I'd personally look at wheels.

Cheers,

Chris

http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/file...ration-FAQ.pdf

Last edited by Crispy3M; 04-15-13 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-15-13, 11:55 AM
wolf1216
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the writeup. It looks like I will need to find another mechanic, as the lexus dealer seems to be running out of patience with me.
Old 04-15-13, 01:50 PM
Crispy3M
Driver

Thanks for the writeup. It looks like I will need to find another mechanic, as the lexus dealer seems to be running out of patience with me.
The days of everyone wanting to be the best at their job are long gone unfortunately
Old 04-15-13, 05:28 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello everyone. My wife and I purchased a 2008 GX with 60K miles. The day we left the dealer we noticed a vibration at 70-80. We were recommended two tires which we had installed that day but that did not fix the problem. Those were Bridgestone tires. When I took it back in they told me that they were the Toyota version not Lexus and recommended I purchase two more but suggested I switch to Cooper as they said they were better tires.

I took the vehicle in to my friendly local Lexus dealer and informed them of the problem. They kept it for a couple days, performed a bulletin with the drive shaft. The vibration was still present so they said that one of the new tires had a sidewall stiffness of 37, which signifies a bad tire. They stated they went over the vehicle and they could not find any issue except for the tires.

I called the store manager at Discount Tire and he agreed to take a look and replace the tire. They claim they put on 12 different tires and they still felt it. He suggested stepping up to a Michelin which is one of the best tires, so I agreed. I just got a call that the shake is stll there. They road force balanced it (this is the 4th one now) and checked all of the rims which had no sign of problem.

I am at my wits end. My Lexus dealer doesn't want to see it again, but this shake is driving me nuts. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas of anything I can try? I love this truck except for this annoying problem.
There are few things in my auto-enthusiast life that I value as much as a talented wheel/tire/alignment shop. It took me forever to find one in my area. Lots of trial and error, lots of money thrown at shops who had Hunter Road Force machines and said they knew how to use them. Turned out they didn't. Their typical response was "bad tire". When, in fact, my tire shop has been able to work magic on questionable tires multiple times.

So, my recommendation would be to ask around for the best wheel/tire shop in town. In my case it's an independent shop. Discount Tire, Schwab, etc, all tried and failed to make me satisfied w/wheel/tire balance issues on my GX and current and previous sports cars & SUVs.

A Hunter machine is nice, but only as good as the tech. I ended up finding a shop that not only uses hunter machines, but is also able to balance "on car", which is a super powerful additional diagnostic tool.

Good luck.
Old 04-15-13, 07:17 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

for me it was a inner tie-rod. jack it up and give the wheels a wiggle see if loose.
Old 04-15-13, 11:06 PM
mann777

I think they performed this TSB last time I had it in there. This might be a rookie question, but how can I tell if this has been done? ::edit- I will get the service report from the dealer::

My email is alexwolf1216 at geemail.
Alex
I presume this job is not done properly, you need to go back to the dealer and make some noises and they will get it done. Trust me, it has worked many times to me. The symtom you have quoted is exactly the issue in the TSB. And if they are saying they have done, this defect which you are facing would not have repeated.
Few Lexus dealers offlate have become incompetent and complacent. Exceptions are SEWELL, they are truly class apart.
The TSB is posted to your email address quoted above.
cheers.

Last edited by mann777; 04-15-13 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-16-13, 04:32 AM
wolf1216
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. I will call the service manager today and raise cain.
Old 04-16-13, 04:00 PM
wolf1216
Driver School Candidate

Update. I called the service manager and explained my situation. He had me come in to speak with another service advisor who was extremely friendly. They gave the car to their "best" diagnosis person and gave me a loaner car until its done. Lets see how it turns out.

Quick Reply: 08 GX470 Vibration