GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My 2005 GX gas mileage ~ 20 mpg!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-08, 08:52 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

My responses are in blue

Originally Posted by jdlynch
I'm on a personal mission to see the maximum gas mileage I can achieve in my wife's new (pre-owned) CPO 2005 gx470.

Will a k&n filter make a significant increase in the mileage?
I did the calcualtion before adding K&N and I averages somewhere around 18 to 19 mpg. Only time I hit 20 was when I drove from San Antonio to Houston and back. Eventhough my daily driving is on highway, sometimes it is stop & go traffic. However, after adding K&N, this is the first time I calculated and it is just above 20mpg mark.

Are you guys achieving near 20 mpg using premium gas or a lower octane? I am using regular 87.

Is your AC on when driving the majority of the time? Nearly 70% of the time A/C is on.

What other tips do you have to increase the mileage?
Old 06-18-08, 09:36 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm averaging 16 MPG with my '05 GX. Alot of Highway with some city mixed in, but I constantly have the AC/Heat on "Auto." Tires are always inflated properly, I use regular gas, the 3rd row seats are always in, and I'm not towing or lugging anything on a regular basis.
Old 06-20-08, 06:43 AM
satiger
Instructor

Default Second calculation shows gain in mpg

Ok....here goes second round of calculation. Drove 334 miles on 16.01 gal of fuel. That equates to 20.86 mpg. So, looks like I am gaining . There is virtually no change (driving habbit, speed etc) between last run (8 days ago) and today. Hope some one could explain this ????.
Old 06-21-08, 08:13 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't know how to explain if you've suddenly started getting better mileage than before, but 20.8 isn't unrealistic for a GX, depending upon how you're driving. I've gotten that much on a few tanks before. BTW, do you know if the fuels you've been using have changed -- particularly if the ethanol content has changed up or down? Ethanol in higher concentrations sucks for fuel economy.
Old 06-21-08, 05:31 PM
satiger
Instructor

I usually pump gas at Costco with 87 grade fuel. Atleast last two fills were at the same place. One possibility that I could think of is wind resistance. For five days in row, we had 15-20 mph wind and that might have played a role in reduced gas mileage in the previous calculation. However, as long as I can achieve around 21mpg on GX and already getting around 30 mpg on ES, I am happy with that. Initailly I was thinking of buying hybrid Camry and it may not be worthful considering paying full MSRP and I am getting good mileage on both GX & ES.
Old 06-27-08, 01:03 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
I usually pump gas at Costco with 87 grade fuel. Atleast last two fills were at the same place. One possibility that I could think of is wind resistance. For five days in row, we had 15-20 mph wind and that might have played a role in reduced gas mileage in the previous calculation. However, as long as I can achieve around 21mpg on GX and already getting around 30 mpg on ES, I am happy with that. Initailly I was thinking of buying hybrid Camry and it may not be worthful considering paying full MSRP and I am getting good mileage on both GX & ES.
A hybrid probably won't make sense in your case of 90% highway / 10% city driving. I know some salespeople who have Camry hybrids because their company wanted them to get hybrids for the PR effect. ( ) They had Camry non-hybrids prior to the hybrids. They drive mostly highway (like you) and they say that the hybrid is *not* cost effective in that circumstance.

MUCH of the time, vehicle trades in the name of improving gas mileage don't make sense economically once you do the math. Of course the higher the price of gas, the more likely it'll pay off, but people often fail to take into account the downgrade they endure in the name of better fuel economy. For example, if they simply skipped a couple of dining-out meals per month, they could probably pay the difference in their fuel bill for a comfortable luxury vehicle vs. a relatively uncomfortable econobox. Seems to me, if those dollars are REALLY that important to them, it'd be worth that kind of sacrafice, but it depends upon how much they enjoy those meals out...