GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Program Homelink for Gated Community

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 10:35 PM
Toecutter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Program Homelink for Gated Community

Hey all
I seem to have a problem trying to get my GX Homelink buttons programed for the entrance gate into our subdivision. Garage doors worked fine.
I have tried holding the remote to the buttons as described in the owners manual but nothing. Being as this is a gate and not my garage door, I don't have access to any sort of "Learn" button on the gate motor. Anyone have any ideas?
Larry
Old 05-28-08, 10:04 AM
hkochat
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toecutter
Hey all
I seem to have a problem trying to get my GX Homelink buttons programed for the entrance gate into our subdivision. Garage doors worked fine.
I have tried holding the remote to the buttons as described in the owners manual but nothing. Being as this is a gate and not my garage door, I don't have access to any sort of "Learn" button on the gate motor. Anyone have any ideas?
Larry
Larry,

Interesting! I had no problem with my GX but experienced a similar problem with my BMW Home-link in the past while I was programming the access gate. Though I have no proper rationale to explain, one of the tricks that my service manager asked me to try worked. I was asked to keep pressing in the Home-link of the vehicle steadily but intermittently (every 10 to 15 sec) keep pushing the gate remote button until the blinking light on the Home-link glow steadily or blinking rapidly. Of course I also have noticed the distance that one holds the remote from the Home-link also matters (optimally 2 to 3 inches from the Home-link). I remember the service manager was mentioning this extra step for revolving codes with some access gate. There is no harm in giving a try and see whether it works.
Old 05-28-08, 11:40 AM
Linko
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem but found a work-around: while holding the HomeLink button that you want to program, push the gate transmitter button a bunch of times. Your gate transmitter might emit a single burst instead of a constant beam, so the HomeLink receiver cannot pick up the code unless you keep pushing the transmitter button. Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-08, 12:51 PM
Toecutter
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info! Gives me a couple new options to try.
Larry
Old 05-28-08, 01:49 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If this doesnt work then you will need access to the main box for the gate. I would guess that its a rolling code gate and for your best interest. Will the guard let you have access to look? I know you can still program it just may take a little more work and finding someone that will allow you access

post back with an update!
Old 05-31-08, 10:25 PM
Toecutter
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by passnu2
If this doesnt work then you will need access to the main box for the gate. I would guess that its a rolling code gate and for your best interest. Will the guard let you have access to look? I know you can still program it just may take a little more work and finding someone that will allow you access

post back with an update!
No guard to ask but I may be able to get the HOA and open it up for a learn button. If all else fails that is.
I will post an update when I try the next round. It may be a few weeks though as the gate in question is at our summer home in Pinetop, AZ. I'd love to try it asap (trust me on that one!) but I can't seem to get a weekend away. Oh well!
I'll let you all know.
Larry
Old 06-03-08, 08:36 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toecutter
..... summer home in Pinetop, AZ. Larry
My inlaws want me to help them program thier Homelink to get into their summer place in Torreon (Show Low AZ). Maybe it's a white mountain thing
Old 06-03-08, 11:06 PM
Toecutter
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cmarshack
My inlaws want me to help them program thier Homelink to get into their summer place in Torreon (Show Low AZ). Maybe it's a white mountain thing
Maybe the air is too thin!
Larry
Old 06-12-08, 05:49 PM
allisonb1013
Driver

we had the exact same problem with our gate. fortunately Lexus remembered to put these instructions in the manual for my husband's new LS460. see below....

Programming an entry gate/Programming all devices in the Canadian market
1. Place your transmitter 1 to 3 in away from the surface of the HomeLink.
2. Press and hold the selected HomeLink button.
3. Repeatedly press and release (cycle) the device's remote control button for two seconds each until step 4 is completed.
4. When the indicator light on the HomeLink compatible transceiver starts to flash rapidly, release the buttons.

worked first time we tried it on my 2004 GX.

Good Luck!!
Old 06-29-08, 07:57 AM
Toecutter
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Alison!

Well, I got up to the house last weekend and tried to get a hold of the maintenance guy. Found out from my neighbor that he's out of town.
However, I did find out that he does have access to the gate drive motor and there is a "learn" button inside. I'll have to cordinate being up there and getting with the maint guy for access. So I think eventually, it will all work out.
Larry