GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear Bumper center cover.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 11:47 AM
scooterpie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Bumper center cover.

Anyone have this cover that they want to trade? I have the blizzard pearl cover that is smooth with the bumper, doesn't have the little outdent so it can fit around the tow hitch i just installed. Figure i'd check here, i have a call into Darrell @ Sewell Lexus. So if anyone wants to trade if they dont have a hitch but has this cover. Let me know..

Thanks
Old 08-21-06, 03:51 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by scooterpie

Anyone have this cover that they want to trade? I have the blizzard pearl cover that is smooth with the bumper, doesn't have the little outdent so it can fit around the tow hitch i just installed. Figure i'd check here, i have a call into Darrell @ Sewell Lexus. So if anyone wants to trade if they dont have a hitch but has this cover. Let me know..

Thanks
That's strange. I could have sworn that every 05-06 GX I have seen has the above pictured part. Doesn't matter if it has a hitch or not.
Old 08-21-06, 04:36 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX

That's strange. I could have sworn that every 05-06 GX I have seen has the above pictured part. Doesn't matter if it has a hitch or not.
Bob.....

This is what the plain cover looks like.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Rear Bumper center cover.-plate4.jpg  
Old 08-21-06, 06:13 PM
scooterpie
Driver School Candidate

Yep, thats what i have as well, but since the install, of the lexus hitch. i need the other one...OHh well, i'll just get it from Lexus, no biggie. But how does your tow hitch fit under it? Mine doesnt fit. Even with the spacers that came with it...??
Old 08-21-06, 06:54 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BobsGX

I have this one.. does it mean.. i have a hitch on my car... i do see some iron metal underneath the cover... that would be awesome.
Old 08-21-06, 07:59 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by sayadil
I have this one.. does it mean.. i have a hitch on my car... i do see some iron metal underneath the cover... that would be awesome.
That is the towing sub bracket which is part of the towing prep package on your GX. I think every GX that comes into the US has this $50.00 option.
Old 08-21-06, 08:59 PM
Capirato
Racer

Smile

Yep, thats what i have as well, but since the install, of the lexus hitch. i need the other one...OHh well, i'll just get it from Lexus, no biggie. But how does your tow hitch fit under it? Mine doesnt fit. Even with the spacers that came with it...??
Scooter.....

Mine originally came with the cover with a cut-out in the middle. I absolutely despised it, so I ordered the plain one, only to discover that it did not fit because there was metal underneath it. So I got my Sawzall and cut off enough metal so that the cover would fit.

~ Cap
Old 08-21-06, 10:31 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Capirato
Scooter.....

Mine originally came with the cover with a cut-out in the middle. I absolutely despised it, so I ordered the plain one, only to discover that it did not fit because there was metal underneath it. So I got my Sawzall and cut off enough metal so that the cover would fit.

~ Cap
Mine has the metal as well.. so what is the metal there for.... plus which gx gets the plain cover... ?
wht does towing prep package mean.. i'm so lost here.
Old 08-22-06, 06:21 AM
scooterpie
Driver School Candidate

Sayadil. The metal plate is there for te tow hitch to bolt to. It is the center support. You do not have a place to put a ball and the ball hitch. You'll have to go to Uhaul/Lexus and get one of thier tow hitches installed. The towing prep package also comes with the towing harness to plug up your trailer. All you need is the hitch.

Cap- What metal did you cut to get it to fit? I was thinking about cutting the plastic piece on the bottom to make it fit. I may just do that, i am sure i can make it fit around the hitch part. if thats what you did. But if you still have the one with the bump out. I'll buy it from you, &/or How much did you pay for it if you recall? Because if Lexus wants a ridiculous amount of money, i'll just chop the one i have. Let me know if you still have yours cap, if not i'll be butchering today.
Old 08-22-06, 10:49 AM
Capirato
Racer

Cap- What metal did you cut to get it to fit? I was thinking about cutting the plastic piece on the bottom to make it fit. I may just do that, i am sure i can make it fit around the hitch part. if thats what you did. But if you still have the one with the bump out. I'll buy it from you, &/or How much did you pay for it if you recall? Because if Lexus wants a ridiculous amount of money, i'll just chop the one i have. Let me know if you still have yours cap, if not i'll be butchering today.
Scooter.....
I have misplaced the cover with the bump which has a knotch in the middle. For a nicer cleaner job, I would just hack off whatever metal is keeping your plain cover from seating correctly. Or, buy the cover with the bump with NO knotch. My 2 cents.
~ Cap
Old 08-22-06, 05:39 PM
scooterpie
Driver School Candidate

So i just went ahead and chopped it. It turned out good!! Here is a shot of the nice sunset we had today as well...