GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Jack pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-19, 08:17 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Jack pads

Just wondering if anyone using these jack pads on their GSF's? Link below.

I already bought these, so just wanna see if anyone had experience with them. Did they do their job right? The jack pads seem to be held on by hex screws that tighten against the pinch weld. I'm not sure if they'll be tight enough, maybe one can lose these while driving?

Amazon Amazon

I'm also looking to get the Figs Jack Jaw, anyone have experience with those?
Old 07-09-19, 08:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

I do my best to never lift from the body seams. I am sure these help, but lifting from the differential or the front subframe ensures the body seams don't fold over. I made small ramps just make it possible to do this with my 2 1/2 ton floor jack - it's not low profile at all.
Old 07-09-19, 10:29 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

When you settle the car down on jack stands, do you use the pinch welds? Or another spot?

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I do my best to never lift from the body seams. I am sure these help, but lifting from the differential or the front subframe ensures the body seams don't fold over. I made small ramps just make it possible to do this with my 2 1/2 ton floor jack - it's not low profile at all.
Old 07-10-19, 12:33 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kukudm
When you settle the car down on jack stands, do you use the pinch welds? Or another spot?
I rest on the OEM seam jack points, but I am very careful to not stress them sideways. Ideally I'd have jack stands with a "jack jaw" top on them. I just haven't got that far with my die grinder yet.

I did remove a significant amount of metal from my jack stands as it was only denting the floor pan.
Old 07-10-19, 06:01 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This is the exact method I do, either the front sub frame or rear diff. Best way IMO. My pinch welds were bent when I got the car....
Old 07-10-19, 05:14 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

I would not use jack pads, I would lift from the frame or suspension:
The following users liked this post:
mr2dave (07-16-19)
Old 07-10-19, 07:34 PM
Dukeaudio
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
I would not use jack pads, I would lift from the frame or suspension:
https://youtu.be/RfB7YWZ5j6E?t=219
This video definitely has staying power! I don’t think Jack pads at fault In his accident. The jack didn’t recenter itself (didn’t budge) under the jack point, most likely due to the pits in the floor.
Old 07-10-19, 08:41 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Dukeaudio
This video definitely has staying power! I don’t think Jack pads at fault In his accident. The jack didn’t recenter itself (didn’t budge) under the jack point, most likely due to the pits in the floor.

Poor Bullets Garage I was a subscriber before this happened and i remembered when he first posted it. I am surprised he posted it at all; sucks people are making fun of his mistakes. I was going to get jack stand but I decided against at after this.
Old 07-10-19, 10:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

I love Bullets's enthusiasm. I wish he would subscribe to TIS and better understand the fundamentals.
bigblack06 (07-11-19)
Old 07-10-19, 10:21 PM
Dukeaudio
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
Poor Bullets Garage I was a subscriber before this happened and i remembered when he first posted it. I am surprised he posted it at all; sucks people are making fun of his mistakes. I was going to get jack stand but I decided against at after this.
Aint nothing wrong with jack stands.

Those trollers just haven’t had it happen to them...yet.
Old 07-10-19, 11:04 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

In a later video, he showed that he was using two separate hockey pucks. That was a spell for disaster.

The jack pads in the Amazon link I posted are being screwed onto the pinch welds underneath the car. They work totally different vs the hockey pucks.

Here’s that video that he explained and showed the hockey pucks.

NotFSport (07-11-19)
Old 07-11-19, 08:56 AM
MrFuso
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use the ZL1 addon's Lift Pads and they work well. I did have to shim them a bit so that they would bite nice. But they work well. The most important thing is to use a jack that is even and not with double pads on it, like in the video above.
Old 07-12-19, 05:29 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 552 Likes on 401 Posts

Bullets garage lacks common sense. He needs to take up needle point. One vid. he gets under the car with only a floor jack holding it with no jack stand. He totally molests his GSF.
Old 07-13-19, 06:07 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

I work on my IS-F and Supra fairly often. One of the best investments I've made is getting a QuickJack portable lift. You can find them for $1000 at Costco: https://www.costco.com/QuickJack-5,0...100460313.html (delivered is a bit more expensive)
Doubles as a jack and jack stands so you can work underneath the car safely. Plus it's pretty low profile, so it'll work easily even if your lowered. Yes, much more expensive than a jack and a set of stands, but it's another option to consider if you work under your car often.
Old 07-14-19, 08:30 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

That's a cool solution! Do they store well in your garage? Or do you just leave them in place in a collapsed position?

Quick Reply: Jack pads