Engine fuel cleaning/ air induction service

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-19, 05:41 AM
mercsmoker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Engine fuel cleaning/ air induction service

folks,
sitting @ dealership and got pitched on recommended service. I'm not new to these items but they make it sounded very robust cleaning.
Something like, air induction cleaning, and then cleaning injection system by hand and then additive in fuel in end to clear all fuel gunk etc etc. I chuckled at fuel additive part and declined it but was 'highly recommended' due to high end engine i'm driving

Am I missing something? did my F suppose to get such kinda thing? I usually get bunch of stuff stating it's because of F engine in car
The following users liked this post:
designo (06-15-19)
Old 06-14-19, 11:58 AM
Geese
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you can buy the fuel/oil cleaners at any auto store for 10-20 I think. I always throw it in every oil change. I've never heard of air induction cleaning.
Old 06-15-19, 01:04 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

I can't stop laughing at this... dealers are a joke! LOL
Old 06-17-19, 07:08 AM
mercsmoker
Driver School Candidate

lol - and hence my chuckle when fuel additive came in. the only time i was scammed for this was when i bought brand new vehicle first time in my life and was listening to whatever dealer was telling me.....that was 20 yr ago...never got into this scam, but given I never owned something like F in past, I thought of checking with veterans here
Old 06-17-19, 05:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Dealer service adviser looking to maximize profits on your work. The next time you hear some BS like this, just ask them where Lexus recommends this service in the booklet you received with the car covering ALL regular maintenance items for your car. I guarantee you, this isn't there.

Worst case - your engine is running rough at idle and you suspect you might have a dirty injector - buy a can of BG44K, pour it into the gas tank at your next fill up, and fuel system gunk be gone. It's not cheap, it might be a little hard to find, but besides Techroline, it's the only stuff that really works. The pour in the tank fuel cleaners with Techroline also work, but IME, BG44K works faster (as it should for about 4x the price).
Old 06-19-19, 07:18 AM
mercsmoker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Dealer service adviser looking to maximize profits on your work. The next time you hear some BS like this, just ask them where Lexus recommends this service in the booklet you received with the car covering ALL regular maintenance items for your car. I guarantee you, this isn't there.

Worst case - your engine is running rough at idle and you suspect you might have a dirty injector - buy a can of BG44K, pour it into the gas tank at your next fill up, and fuel system gunk be gone. It's not cheap, it might be a little hard to find, but besides Techroline, it's the only stuff that really works. The pour in the tank fuel cleaners with Techroline also work, but IME, BG44K works faster (as it should for about 4x the price).
Thank you for BG44K recommendation. Its readily available on Amazon so I'll try one.
Old 06-19-19, 07:23 AM
NotFSport
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

Is this something that should be done before an oil change, in case anything gets washed into the oil pan? Or just put it in with the next fill-up and enjoy the benefits?
Old 06-19-19, 11:01 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Pour it in, drive the car. Nothing special. If your injectors are dirty, it will clean them.
The following users liked this post:
NotFSport (06-20-19)
Old 06-25-19, 07:19 AM
MasterWork
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have used Liquimoly fuel system cleaners on my previous car and yes they did work, but that was a 1999 BMW M3 and it did help quite a noticeable amount. The car did also have quite extensive engine work done and I wanted to clean all the lines and tank when I went with bigger fuel injectors. I think it would be completely pointless to do it on a GSF that is at the very most 4 years old.
Old 06-27-19, 11:10 AM
bigz187
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

https://www.bgprod.com/blog/new-bg-4...ines%EF%BB%BF/

Use this every oil change and you won't have to do anything else. Also comes with a warranty on the fuel system
Old 06-27-19, 07:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by bigz187
https://www.bgprod.com/blog/new-bg-4...ines%EF%BB%BF/

Use this every oil change and you won't have to do anything else. Also comes with a warranty on the fuel system
As expensive as it is, I'd follow their recommended 15k miles between doses. But indeed it does work very well, and most Service Advisors will choose this as a first line attack on a dirty fuel system because it solves driveability issues really well if they're related to varnish in the injector nozzles.